Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: looking for chess software recommendations

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Thanks! I take it you prefer Fritz over ChessBase? I welcome knowing others' preferences.
    Fritz includes some chessbase functionality. I prefer to have both. I usually wait for the quarterly 25% off sale on chessbase to buy software though I do occasionally buy discs which are not really necessary anymore.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Oh I understand they're different, but they seem to have some overlap.

From my original post, I don't need much:

I really don't need it to play super strongly, as I'm only around 1900 lol
    I'll use it for capturing games, annotating them, blunder-checking, etc. <--- KEY LINE FOR ME!
    I guess it would also be handy to have regularly updated opening theory?
    Anything have a feature where I can practice recalling my opening lines?

Thanks in advance for any further insights.
    You can do some drilling with Fritz and powerbooks which include opening trees from various openings. The cost without a discount is about 10 euros. I just got the new one for the queens gambit declined since that features prominently in my repertoire. I seem to be a bit better at buying these tools than I am at taking the time to use them on a regular basis.

When we say Fritz we mean any of the Chessbase playing programs which use the same Fritz user interface.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    You can do some drilling with Fritz and powerbooks which include opening trees from various openings. The cost without a discount is about 10 euros. I just got the new one for the queens gambit declined since that features prominently in my repertoire. I seem to be a bit better at buying these tools than I am at taking the time to use them on a regular basis.

When we say Fritz we mean any of the Chessbase playing programs which use the same Fritz user interface.
    Thanks. I think I gotta sit down with someone to understand these options you know well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12