Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10. Bids for 2019 / 2020 Events

Blog Entries

Conservative is 250 kids, realistic is 350 kids and optimistic is 450 kids. There is a good chance they will get 50 kids from the Windsor area alone.

Blog Entries

It appears there may not be any other bids during the meeting. This means we have the following events, all of which need to occur within the next 12 months, without a host

2019 Canadian Closed
    2019 Canadian Junior (I think Gary Hua is interested)
    2019 Canadian Senior
    2019 Canadian Amateur (typically held by Hal - but none this year)

and
    2019 or 2020 Canadian Women's Closed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    It appears there may not be any other bids during the meeting. This means we have the following events, all of which need to occur within the next 12 months, without a host

2019 Canadian Closed
    2019 Canadian Senior

and
    I believe that at the time Gary Hua and his group put in the bid on 2018 they also asked to do the 2019 Canadian Junior. When we talk to him about the 2020 CYCC and Canadian Open we can talk to him about this and perhaps some alternatives for the winner of the 2018 tournament given the situation in Turkey.

2019 Canadian Closed
    2019 Canadian Senior

and
    I have initiated discussing with Hal, the possibility of Eastern Ontario (led by myself), running the 2019 Canadian Closed (perhaps with the Womens', etc). However, I don't know that we'll be able to report back in time before this meeting concludes.

2019 Canadian Closed
    2019 Canadian Senior

and
    I will check with my colleagues in Alberta. I don't suppose there is any rule to Calgary hosting the Canadian Senior 2 years in a row? Or maybe the Canadian Closed. Unfortunately, it is very expensive to host tournaments in Banff, unless held in the 'shoulder season'. Typically mid November. Also hard to get to Banff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I have initiated discussing with Hal, the possibility of Eastern Ontario (led by myself), running the 2019 Canadian Closed (perhaps with the Womens', etc). However, I don't know that we'll be able to report back in time before this meeting concludes.
    Do try to get back to the board of directors as soon as you can put something together. It would be great if we could combine the two or more events in order to get them off the to do list. Hopefully the tourism contacts will come in handy though they are often looking for things two years out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Do try to get back to the board of directors as soon as you can put something together. It would be great if we could combine the two or more events in order to get them off the to do list. Hopefully the tourism contacts will come in handy though they are often looking for things two years out.
    Hello again, I checked with Hal, and here's what we know as of today. Hal and I had teamed up to consider running a larger event over the Easter long weekend. Our initial planning was to open it in 2019 or 2020. However, when I started following up on those tourism leads from yourself and Fred, there seems to be great interest for 2019. After several phone calls, and even visits, I am down to 4 location choices in the area heading west towards Toronto (the crucial market). I don't expect that we will be in a position to finalize our location choice until at least mid-September. However, once that is done, and I know all the price points; then the idea of, for example, combining the Canadian Closed, the Womens' Closed, even the Canadian Seniors; seems quite intriguing. The only event of those three that we would HAVE to have to proceed would be the flagship Canadian Closed itself. Any other sections added to that would be relatively seamless as part of a "chess festival". Hal and I can contact you when we know our location costs.

Thank you, and best regards, Aris.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Hello again, I checked with Hal, and here's what we know as of today. Hal and I had teamed up to consider running a larger event over the Easter long weekend. Our initial planning was to open it in 2019 or 2020. However, when I started following up on those tourism leads from yourself and Fred, there seems to be great interest for 2019. After several phone calls, and even visits, I am down to 4 location choices in the area heading west towards Toronto (the crucial market). I don't expect that we will be in a position to finalize our location choice until at least mid-September. However, once that is done, and I know all the price points; then the idea of, for example, combining the Canadian Closed, the Womens' Closed, even the Canadian Seniors; seems quite intriguing. The only event of those three that we would HAVE to have to proceed would be the flagship Canadian Closed itself. Any other sections added to that would be relatively seamless as part of a "chess festival". Hal and I can contact you when we know our location costs.

Thank you, and best regards, Aris.
    Aris

This is exactly what we had in mind as a Chess Festival when we were making our presentations at CSTA. Throw in the Canadian Amateur and you've got a great event for everybody !!

This looks like a great chess festival coming up in 2019.

I look forward to the tournament already. Definitely will be there as it is about 2-3 hours away only.

Hopefully more information coming up in the next few months so that more people can start planning for the festival.

Cheers for Chess in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hua View Post
    This looks like a great chess festival coming up in 2019.

I look forward to the tournament already. Definitely will be there as it is about 2-3 hours away only.

Hopefully more information coming up in the next few months so that more people can start planning for the festival.

Cheers for Chess in Canada
    The only downside is someone wants to play in 2 concurrent events, since they are not mutually exclusive. In any case, sounds like a great idea and I too look forward to it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast