Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10. Bids for 2019 / 2020 Events

Default 10. Bids for 2019 / 2020 Events

Please post bids for national events here

Blog Entries

There is a bid for the Canadian Youth Chess Championship and Canadian Open for 2020 from Mississauga.

It is about 5 Mbytes. Here is a dropbox link to the bid.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5876w2mys...Chess.pdf?dl=0

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    There is a bid for the Canadian Youth Chess Championship and Canadian Open for 2020 from Mississauga.
    I think it's worth noting that this is our first National Event bid to come from the 2018 CSTA Conference in Halifax, Vlad and I attended (at no cost to the CFC) in March. The funny part is Vlad made the connection with the Mississauga group through a hallway encounter. We still have many cities percolating with Regional organizers. I am organizing the Maritime Open Championship with the City of Summerside in October of 2019 (they haven't had a weekend CFC tournament in about 30 years) - we are expecting to break attendance totals for this event, since the 70's Chess Boom. A bid for a CFC National event will follow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I think it's worth noting that this is our first National Event bid to come from the 2018 CSTA Conference in Halifax, Vlad and I attended (at no cost to the CFC) in March. The funny part is Vlad made the connection with the Mississauga group through a hallway encounter. We still have many cities percolating with Regional organizers. I am organizing the Maritime Open Championship with the City of Summerside in October of 2019 (they haven't had a weekend CFC tournament in about 30 years) - we are expecting to break attendance totals for this event, since the 70's Chess Boom. A bid for a CFC National event will follow.
    I think the pump was primed when Vadim Tsypin contacted me about three days before we left for Halifax and asked me how receptive the CFC would be for a bid from Mississauga for CYCC. It was actually in a breakout session where I met Clara Grassia who is Coordinator, Sport Tourism Events for Mississauga and I mentioned that I had spoken to someone who wanted to put an event in Mississauga. I had made a favourable impression already in our discussions with the main speakers of the day. As you recall you went to one session and I went to the other. The one I went to was on sponsorship. I don't recall what your session was titled. Luck and timing is always important. If we had switched up you wouldn't yet have been aware of the Mississauga interest from Gary, Ken and Vadim.

I'd just like to put in a plug in for Halifax, Nova Scotia. The Nova Scotia Chess Association for a number of years has been extremely fortunate to have Ken Cashin, President, to organize provincial chess tournaments. For the first time, in what appears since 1988, we have this year elected 7 members of the Board to create what I view to be an extremely energetic and organized Board of Directors. This year, we hope to: 1) Become re-registered under the provincial Societies' Act (where the Association hasn't been incorporated since 1988); 2) Likely have a change of name for the Association (will be voting on this at the next Board meeting in November); 3) Create a number of chess clubs throughout the province (we have 4 new ones in the past 3 years and at least 1 more in the books for organization); 4) Create a structure of various Committees and encourage participation of chess players throughout the province to assist the Association in the delegation of chess related work; 5) Possibly organize a bid for national chess tournament in the near future. Finally, I'm told that Halifax has been designated as one of the world's best cities for international conferences and events and one of our Executive members has recently met with a party whom we anticipate will be a key participant in assisting to organize such an event. I note that Nova Scotia has never held the Canadian Open, hopefully it will in the not-to-distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    I'd just like to put in a plug in for Halifax, Nova Scotia. The Nova Scotia Chess Association for a number of years has been extremely fortunate to have Ken Cashin, President, to organize provincial chess tournaments. For the first time, in what appears since 1988, we have this year elected 7 members of the Board to create what I view to be an extremely energetic and organized Board of Directors. This year, we hope to: 1) Become re-registered under the provincial Societies' Act (where the Association hasn't been incorporated since 1988); 2) Likely have a change of name for the Association (will be voting on this at the next Board meeting in November); 3) Create a number of chess clubs throughout the province (we have 4 new ones in the past 3 years and at least 1 more in the books for organization); 4) Create a structure of various Committees and encourage participation of chess players throughout the province to assist the Association in the delegation of chess related work; 5) Possibly organize a bid for national chess tournament in the near future. Finally, I'm told that Halifax has been designated as one of the world's best cities for international conferences and events and one of our Executive members has recently met with a party whom we anticipate will be a key participant in assisting to organize such an event. I note that Nova Scotia has never held the Canadian Open, hopefully it will in the not-to-distant future.
    Hi Lloyd, one of my sons lives (happily!) in Halifax. So I would be especially interested in participating in any special chess event you might plan for that part of our country!

Aris Marghetis (IA, IO)

Blog Entries

We have openings for CYCC/CO in 2021 and 2022. Travel to Halifax by plane is simple and not so expensive at least from Windsor.

Several comments:
    Budget: would be good to see with participation numbers, and even adding the past year championships for comparison.
    Open Schedule:
    "Wed, July 22 Round 9. Prize ceremony.
    Thu, July 23 Departure day."

Times should be included that players really know if they need to stay one more night. Also the rounds start time for one-round days - evening, afternoon, or mornings.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Several comments:
    Budget: would be good to see with participation numbers, and even adding the past year championships for comparison.
    Open Schedule:
    "Wed, July 22 Round 9. Prize ceremony.
    Thu, July 23 Departure day."

Times should be included that players really know if they need to stay one more night. Also the rounds start time for one-round days - evening, afternoon, or mornings.
    There was an addendum that was sent out by email to my list of voting members. Here it is again.
    Attached Files Attached Files

CYCC has a roughly 20% difference between 'conservative' 'realistic' and 'optimistic' while the Canadian Open has roughly a 10% difference between the three levels. Is this a reasonable assumption? How many players is each level supposed to represent?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast