Thread: 6.3 - Nominations for Kalev Pugi Fund trustee (3 to be elected)

Default 6.3 - Nominations for Kalev Pugi Fund trustee (3 to be elected)

The Late Kalev Pugi of Kingston, Ontario, made a bequest to the Chess Federation of Canada [CFC] in the amount of $ 10,000.00. This generous gift established the above-named Fund, and following the general notification to the Members of the CFC, others made contributions to the fund, such that its Capital is now above $20,000.00

The Income from the Investment of the Fund is to be used towards assisting Canadian Chess players under the age of eighteen with the travel costs associated with Chess competition and tournament participation. The ultimate purpose being to increase their Chess skills and education.

As most of you know market returns in the last 5 years have been far below returns previously so there are always more needs that can be met.

The committee consists of 3 members and members should post their nominations for the 3 positions here.

Blog Entries

I will nominate incumbent Felix Dumont, he has indicated he is willing to stay on.

Thanks Fred - I am indeed willing to stay on.

Blog Entries

I will nominate incumbent Michael Lo, he has indicated he is willing to stay on.

Mr. President - we need a ruling - Felix was formerly a rep from the FQE and his CFC membership expired in 2014. Apparently I failed to cancel his "CFC Voting Member" flags as the FQE reps are Messrs Berube, Bopala and Labadie. The Pugi fund is a CFC committee so does Felix qualify for membership on it?

Seems to me the answer is no but you are the president.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Mr. President - we need a ruling - Felix was formerly a rep from the FQE and his CFC membership expired in 2014. Apparently I failed to cancel his "CFC Voting Member" flags as the FQE reps are Messrs Berube, Bopala and Labadie. The Pugi fund is a CFC committee so does Felix qualify for membership on it?

Seems to me the answer is no but you are the president.
    As a Quebec resident and FQE member (I haven't actually checked), he would be considered a CFC member. I'm not sure it says anywhere that Committee members have to be CFC members.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    As a Quebec resident and FQE member (I haven't actually checked), he would be considered a CFC member. I'm not sure it says anywhere that Committee members have to be CFC members.
    Felix's FQE membership appears to be expired as of a year ago. There is a requirement that voting members and board of directors members be members of either the CFC or the FQE. We have a youth committee where most of the members are not CFC members. There is no requirement in the new regulations of the CFC or NFP act that committee members have to be CFC/FQE members. As Fred points out, I am not aware of a specific rule in the old handbook that says committee members must be members of the CFC. If Felix wants to help us out by being a member of this or another committee it is probably a good idea to accept his help as he has done a good job in this position and I don't see a long line of candidates seeking the position. If the position comes with an automatic voting membership (which I don't believe it does) then he would have to join either the CFC or the FQE.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Felix's FQE membership appears to be expired as of a year ago. There is a requirement that voting members and board of directors members be members of either the CFC or the FQE. We have a youth committee where most of the members are not CFC members. There is no requirement in the new regulations of the CFC or NFP act that committee members have to be CFC/FQE members. As Fred points out, I am not aware of a specific rule in the old handbook that says committee members must be members of the CFC. If Felix wants to help us out by being a member of this or another committee it is probably a good idea to accept his help as he has done a good job in this position and I don't see a long line of candidates seeking the position. If the position comes with an automatic voting membership (which I don't believe it does) then he would have to join either the CFC or the FQE.

The only positions that come with a Voting Membership are the 7 Directors (Executive), the 3 Special Officers being voted on now, and the Master's Representative (voted on by the players at the Canadian Closed).

Felix has done a very good job heading up the Pugi Fund for the past 2 or 3 years.

Blog Entries

I will nominate Christina Tao for the Pugi Committee, as it normal (but not mandatory) for the Youth Coordinator to be involved. Maybe Vlad can see if she is willing to serve.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I will nominate incumbent Michael Lo, he has indicated he is willing to stay on.
    Thank you Fred. I am willing to stay on.