Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 4.1 - Nominations for CFC President

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,354

    Default 4.1 - Nominations for CFC President

    Please make your nominations here

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Charlottetown, PE
    Posts
    1,928
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    I will nominate Vlad Drkulec, who has indicated he will stand.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    61

    Default

    I second the nomination, if a seconder is required on the motion.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    Seconders are not required on nominations. Nominees must meet the requirements for the position (e.g. adult member) and be willing to serve if elected. That's pretty much it. (Actually there are a couple of exceptions like making a significant portion of one's income from a chess business)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Charlottetown, PE
    Posts
    1,928
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Seconders are not required on nominations. Nominees must meet the requirements for the position (e.g. adult member) and be willing to serve if elected. That's pretty much it. (Actually there are a couple of exceptions like making a significant portion of one's income from a chess business)
    Lyle, assuming this provision is still in effect with the NFP Act, I think the interpretation was that teaching chess or playing chess or the like was not considered a chess business - does that agree with your interpretation ?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tecumseh, ON
    Posts
    2,066
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Lyle, assuming this provision is still in effect with the NFP Act, I think the interpretation was that teaching chess or playing chess or the like was not considered a chess business - does that agree with your interpretation ?
    Under the old rules teaching chess or playing chess were exempted. I don't think that rule would pass muster with the NFP or even the various human rights acts especially now that we are out of the books and equipment business. I'm not sure what the rationale for the rule was but have heard it called the Larry Bevand rule. Strictly speaking even with that rule in place, I think Larry would still be able to run for a board position since he is simply an employee of another non-profit concerned with chess.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    Chess tournaments have long given cash prizes so under the original International Olympic Committee rules we'd all be "pros" - my first prize was $2.00 - which was a 5 way split of a $10 first unrated prize back in the late 60s...

    I have also heard the rule Vlad refers to called the "Larry Bevand" rule as he and the CFC Exec Director would be the main ones affected by the rule. You go to the World Open and win $30k and we're probably not going to ask for your resignation as it's something you have no reasonable expectation of doing it again the next year! (You may HOPE for it but not expect it)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Chess tournaments have long given cash prizes so under the original International Olympic Committee rules we'd all be "pros" - my first prize was $2.00 - which was a 5 way split of a $10 first unrated prize back in the late 60s...
    Long ago, the IOC offered chess the status of Official Olympic Sport but FIDE failed to properly define what was an amateur player and lost the opportunity.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •