Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: 1. Agenda & Opening Comments of Chair

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,393

    Default 1. Agenda & Opening Comments of Chair

    AGM Meeting Monday August 20 to Sunday August 26, 2018
    Chess Federation of Canada - Annual General Meeting - Incoming Voting Members - 20 - 26 August 2018


    (Note to voting members: all votes open at 9pm ET, all votes and nominations close at 6pm ET, the meeting ends at 10pm ET on August 26th)

    Part 1 - Agenda and Sign-in


    1. Agenda & Opening Comments of Chair
    2. voting member Sign-in

    Part 2 - Election of voting members from Non-Affiliated Provinces / Territories

    3. Election of voting members from Non-Affiliated Provinces/Territories (nominations close on day 3, if elections are required this will take place on days 4-5)


    Part 3 - Elections of Federation Executive Members, Officers and other positions

    4. Nomination of Candidates for Election (nominations close at 6pm ET August 22 - day 3, elections continue through 6pm ET August 25 - day 6)

    DIRECTORS

    4.1 President
    4.2 Vice-President
    4.3 Secretary
    4.4 Treasurer
    4.5 Youth Coordinator
    4.6 FIDE Representative
    4.7 Director at Large

    OFFICERS

    4.8 Rating Auditor
    4.9 Publicity Officer
    4.10 Women's Chess Coordinator

    Members should note positions 1-7 make up the CFC Executive, 8-10 are non-Executive Officers of the Federation

    5.A Elections of the above positions

    5.B Election of Directors and Officers

    6. Appointment of CFC Committee members: (nominations close at 6pm ET August 23 - day 3, elections for contested positions continue through 6pm ET August 25 - day 6)

    * 6.1 Chess Foundation of Canada Trustees - Four year term:

    * 6.2 Chess Foundation of Canada Trustees - One year term:

    * 6.3 Kalev Pugi Fund Committee:

    * 6.4 National Appeals Committee:

    7. Election of CFC Committee members (see sections 4.1 - 4.11 - in sections 4.1 - 6.4 all positions where an election is being held is marked with *)

    8.Discussion of agenda items

    Voting on all items excluding voting members, Executive and Officers will begin on day 4 (August 23) and continue to the end of the meeting (August 26)

    10. Bids for 2019/2020 Events

    Mississauga Bid for CYCC/Canadian Open in 2020

    10E Any other Bids/Business:

    11. Other Business


    New Agenda Items for discussion only.

    12. Bids for National Championships 2019/20 and onward

    13. Adjournment & Closing Comments by Chair
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-20-2018 at 09:54 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tecumseh, ON
    Posts
    2,185
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    The CFC continues to grow in size though perhaps slowly and incrementally. I believe that we will continue to do so for the next few years. We should not become complacent but we should continue with actions that support the growth of chess. We are gathered to determine the direction of the CFC for the coming year.

    I am happy to learn that most of the board of directors is standing again for the 2018-19 term. I believe that they all deserve our support.

    We are also looking at an election at FIDE which can have some impact on our own efforts. We discussed this briefly in the last meeting before the field of candidates was finalized. There may be some lively discussion on this matter.

    Thank you for your continued support and your efforts in organizing chess events and also your contribution as voting members in moving the CFC forward.

    We have an impressive bid for the 2020 CYCC and Canadian Open from Mississauga and Toronto with support that arose from contacts made at the Canadian Sports Tourism Alliance conference in Halifax in March attended by Fred McKim and myself. I find this very encouraging.

    Lets dig in and get to work on the issues we have to deal with and the candidates for various offices.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kanata, Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    The CFC continues to grow in size though perhaps slowly and incrementally. I believe that we will continue to do so for the next few years. We should not become complacent but we should continue with actions that support the growth of chess. We are gathered to determine the direction of the CFC for the coming year.

    I am happy to learn that most of the board of directors is standing again for the 2018-19 term. I believe that they all deserve our support.

    We are also looking at an election at FIDE which can have some impact on our own efforts. We discussed this briefly in the last meeting before the field of candidates was finalized. There may be some lively discussion on this matter.

    Thank you for your continued support and your efforts in organizing chess events and also your contribution as voting members in moving the CFC forward.

    We have an impressive bid for the 2020 CYCC and Canadian Open from Mississauga and Toronto with support that arose from contacts made at the Canadian Sports Tourism Alliance conference in Halifax in March attended by Fred McKim and myself. I find this very encouraging.

    Lets dig in and get to work on the issues we have to deal with and the candidates for various offices.
    I commend both you and Fred for your work in Halifax. Since then, I have had very good discussions with Kingston, Bay of Quinte, etc. Thanks for getting that kickstarted!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Charlottetown, PE
    Posts
    1,974
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I commend both you and Fred for your work in Halifax. Since then, I have had very good discussions with Kingston, Bay of Quinte, etc. Thanks for getting that kickstarted!
    Next year's meeting is in Ottawa, Aris. Perhaps you can attend with a member of the Executive.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kanata, Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Next year's meeting is in Ottawa, Aris. Perhaps you can attend with a member of the Executive.
    I would be delighted to!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,393

    Default

    REPORT ON ELECTIONS

    Elections are now complete and the following are our Executive and Officers for 2018-2019:

    Executive
    President - Vladimir Drkulec
    Vice President - Egidijus Zeromskis
    Secretary – Lyle Craver
    Treasurer – Fred McKim
    Youth Coordinator – Christina Tao
    FIDE Representative – Hal Bond
    Director at Large – Mark Dutton

    Officers
    Ratings Auditor – Paul Leblanc
    Publicity Officer – none
    Womens’ Coordinator - Pierre Dénommée
    Masters' Representative - Victor Plotkin (serves until next Canadian Closed)

    Other positions (considered officers but not automatic Voting Members)
    Chess Foundation of Canada Trustees
    2015-2019 Lloyd Lombard
    2016-2020 Paul Leblanc
    2017-2021 Hans Jung
    2018-2022 Hugh Brodie
    2018-2019 Ian Findlay

    Kalev Pugi Fund Trustees - Christina Tao, Michael Lo, Felix Dumont

    National Appeals Committee – Serge Archimbault, Ilia Bluvshtein, Richard Bowes, Mark Dutton, Aris Marghetis (Egidius Zeromskis indicated he would resign if elected to the CFC Executive and the 6th place finisher was appointed by the president)

    A very special thanks to all of you who participated both by voting and as candidates.
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 08-28-2018 at 11:12 AM. Reason: zeromskis resignation

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Charlottetown, PE
    Posts
    1,974
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    Thanks for your efficient work on this year after year, Lyle.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kanata, Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    761

    Default

    As Egis was elected as both CFC Vice-President AND for the National Appeals Committee, would it be appropriate for him to consider stepping down from the latter, making way for Serge Archambault? I'm not saying this HAS to be done, but my gut tells me to engage as many volunteers as possible, and Serge is certainly deeply experienced.

    Just my 2c worth, I'm unsure how these things could/should/would work.

    Thanks and regards, Aris.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Charlottetown, PE
    Posts
    1,974
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    As Egis was elected as both CFC Vice-President AND for the National Appeals Committee, would it be appropriate for him to consider stepping down from the latter, making way for Serge Archambault? I'm not saying this HAS to be done, but my gut tells me to engage as many volunteers as possible, and Serge is certainly deeply experienced.

    Just my 2c worth, I'm unsure how these things could/should/would work.

    Thanks and regards, Aris.
    Both Egis and Mark fall into this category. Chris Mallon is also a worthy committee member.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    As Egis was elected as both CFC Vice-President AND for the National Appeals Committee, would it be appropriate for him to consider stepping down from the latter, making way for Serge Archambault? I'm not saying this HAS to be done, but my gut tells me to engage as many volunteers as possible, and Serge is certainly deeply experienced.

    Just my 2c worth, I'm unsure how these things could/should/would work.

    Thanks and regards, Aris.
    If the Federal system is working the same way as the Quebec system, in case of a resignation, it is up for the Board of Directors to appoint a replacement. The actual voting result is irrelevant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •