Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4. Executive / Officer Reports

B. World Senior Team Championship

I started this project more than a year ago and I am very happy with the results. Our Team (Cummings - Plotkin - Findlay - Barron) finished 6th out of 67 teams in Dresden. I would like to share some information and ideas about this tournament.

1. From the very beginning, I told to all potential Canadian players that I want team of 4 and not team of 5. Being a player and a captain for the team of 5 is a clear conflict of interest; at the same time it's absolutely fine with team of 4. Canadian players often play 2 game/day and should have no problem with a comfortable 9 games/9 days schedule. Some risk that somebody gets sick or can not play for another reason definitely exists, but this risk is not too high with reliable players.

2. 4 teams in this tournament were much stronger than others (USA, 2 from Germany and England), we played with 3 of them and lost all 3 matches. We won all 6 matches against other teams including 3-1 victory over higher rated Germany-2 (almost 200 points total rating advantage) and 4-0 over team called "Ulm", with similar rating. 6 wins in 9 matches allow us to share 6th place, our tie-break was very strong, so we finished 6th overall.

I have some funny story about Ulm. It's a very historical place, Napoleon defeated Austrians there in 1805. This Ulm battle was one of the best even for Napoleon and probably his "cleanest" victory. Napoleon lost about 500 soldiers, Austrians lost almost 30.000. Napoleon would have been proud of us.

3. Every player from our team gained rating points. We gained more than 80 points overall. Rating points will be donated to Canadian underrated juniors in the nearest future.

4. I.Findlay had the best performance in our team with 6.5/9. He missed an IM norm by just half a point.

5. M.Barron and myself won team blitz tournament (each team included just 2 players) with 7 wins and 2 draws in 9 rounds. First prize was 250 EUROs, but the satisfaction was much more important.

6. The organization was at very high level, Germans were well-prepared and thought about every possible detail.

7. According to the FIDE calendar, the next World Senior Team Championship will be in May 2019 in Crete, Greece.

Conclusion: a very good event. As far as I know, all Canadian players enjoyed this chess vacation. I would be happy to see more Canadians participating in this championship
    Last edited by Victor Plotkin; 08-23-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Blog Entries

4L Treasurer's Report

I wanted to wait until we had the completed financial statements before filing this informal report.

First off, our Financial Situation this year was very strong, mostly due to a 5% increase in Membership numbers and a 20% increase in Rating Fees. Our net revenue of $11K is the largest in recent memory and would have been $16K, except for the accounting acknowledgement of a $5K debt to FIDE America from some previous NA Youth / Junior events held in Canada. I will make a few more comments in the Financial Statement Thread.

My portfolio work as Treasurer probably only contributes to 10% of the whole of the work that goes on for the Federation, that I am directly or indirectly involved in. For example, this year I had the pleasure to attend the Canadian Sports Tourism Expo with Vlad. We are hoping the dividends from this will continue for years to come.

I will be more than pleased to serve the CFC for another year as a Director of the Corporation and specifically Treasurer.

Fred McKim
    CFC Treasurer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    4L Treasurer's Report

I wanted to wait until we had the completed financial statements before filing this informal report.

First off, our Financial Situation this year was very strong, mostly due to a 5% increase in Membership numbers and a 20% increase in Rating Fees. Our net revenue of $11K is the largest in recent memory and would have been $16K, except for the accounting acknowledgement of a $5K debt to FIDE America from some previous NA Youth / Junior events held in Canada. I will make a few more comments in the Financial Statement Thread.

My portfolio work as Treasurer probably only contributes to 10% of the whole of the work that goes on for the Federation, that I am directly or indirectly involved in. For example, this year I had the pleasure to attend the Canadian Sports Tourism Expo with Vlad. We are hoping the dividends from this will continue for years to come.

I will be more than pleased to serve the CFC for another year as a Director of the Corporation and specifically Treasurer.

Fred McKim
    CFC Treasurer
    We do need some clarification on exactly which tournaments are part of this $5000 FIDE America figure. Anyway the financials have been a pleasant surprise as I don't think we expected them to be this strong though this is not unusual when you move beyond the breakeven point. Everything flows to the bottom line.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    B. World Senior Team Championship
    Congratulations on an impressive result!

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    Every player from our team gained rating points. We gained more than 80 points overall. Rating points will be donated to Canadian underrated juniors in the nearest future.
    This is too true.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123