Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4. Executive / Officer Reports

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Thank you, Undriadi, for your work as CFC Youth Coordinator!

Any plans for U-16 Olympiad 2018?

The situation in Turkey is chaotic. It is not a safe place to send our kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    The situation in Turkey is chaotic. It is not a safe place to send our kids.
    So should we have misgivings about sending our representatives to the World Junior next month in Turkey?

Blog Entries

Yes, I think misgivings would be prudent in that case also.

If Barrack Obama, Donald Trump and the economic and military power of the U.S. cannot pry a random clergyman out of Turkish custody on trumped up charges, what do you think the chances of our Canadian politicians being able to do better if one of our kids or parents found themselves in the same situation?

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/turkey
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-21-2018 at 04:27 AM.

Michael,

The Executives chosen not to send team to U16 Olympiad due to the travel High Risk in Turkey.
    Unless the situation improved drastically, CFC is not going to send our youth to Turkey.

Cheers,

Undriadi

Vice-President's Report

The primary role of the Vice-President is to be prepared to step into the President’s shoes, if required. Fortunately, that has not been required and the Federation continues to prosper under Vlad’s leadership. Throughout the year, I have taken part in executive discussions and decisions. Where appropriate, I try to present alternative viewpoints and ensure that I have complete information before casting my vote. It’s been a pleasure to serve alongside my fellow executive members and I hope to have the opportunity to do so again this year.
    Cheers,
    Ken

http://chess.ca/node/1286 - which is a historical list of CFC (and its predecessors) officers shows no women though I am pretty sure Lynn Stringer (who for some inexplicable reason FIDE thought was male and I female - thank you Hal for enlightening them!) served on the National Appeals Committee and the Pugi fund at one point.

Again - if she is to be nominated for a national position she does need to be a current member so would need to move quickly.

Default 4.I. Rating Auditor

The system continues to be in a state of equilibrium.
    The average rating of all players above 1200 is the same today as it was 10 years ago, i.e. about 1700.
    I noticed recently that the Continental Chess Association is treating CFC ratings at par with USCF ratings for their events, which I consider a vote of confidence in our system.
    A reminder to TDs and organizers to start new players at their FIDE/USCF/FQE ratings and not treat them as unrated.
    Also any CFC member with a foreign rating 200+ points higher than their CFC rating is encouraged to point this out to the CFC office or myself and we will adjust their CFC rating upwards.
    And finally, please observe the requirements in chapter 4 of the CFC Handbook for Regular Rated CFC tournaments, especially regarding the time controls http://chess.ca/handbook
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Default 4.J. Chess Foundation of Canada

You will see in the CFC Financial Report that:
    The Foundation has $341k under management (compared to $321k last year) and that the Foundation generated $11,184 of income for CFC general revenue.
    The increase in funds under management was about half from new life memberships and half from capital gains.
    The Foundation holds a balanced portfolio of equities and fixed income investments. Turnover from year to year is very small.
    Anyone wishing for more details is welcome to contact me.
    Please consider the Chess Foundation of Canada in your estate planning. When renewing your annual membership, consider a life membership.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

A. Olympiad-2018.

Yesterday I announce the board order for the National Team: Hansen - LeSiege - Noritsyn - Preotu - Hambleton.

According to the registration list, both our teams share 39-40 positions in the starting ranking. While I don't expect the same success as in 2016, I hope for solid performance for both Canadian Teams.

For the National Team, the rating gap between 2nd and 5th player is extremely narrow, less than 40 points, compare to 200 points in 2016 and 100+ points in 2014. It gives us a lot of options for round-by-round decisions.

For the first time in recent years (or even for the first time ever - I am not sure) CFC executive decided to "outsource" the position of the Women Team Captain. I know GM G.Szabo from U-16 Olympiad 2014. He was a captain of Canada-1 (with R.Preotu and Q.Zhou), while I was the captain of Canada-2 and Canada-3. He is a knowledgeable and nice person.

Many our players use Istanbul for connection. In another thread it was mentioned that Turkey now is not the safest place in the world. I believe, that Istanbul airport should be safe enough, but we have another problem. Some team members, including myself have a very tight connection in Istanbul. In case of delay in out first leg flight Toronto-Istanbul, we can potentially miss the next flight Istanbul-Batumi. Still, we have almost 24 hours before the start of the first round. Reminds me one of my favorite book: Jules Verne "80 days around the world".
    Last edited by Victor Plotkin; 08-23-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Blog Entries

Thank you Victor for that report. We all wish the best of luck to our teams on the journey and in the Olympiad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast