Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4. Executive / Officer Reports

Default 4. Executive / Officer Reports

Executive members and Officers please post your reports here using the letter code (4A, 4B, 4C etc) given in the agenda in your title line

4F. Youth Coordinator's Report
    Youth Coordinator's report for Sep 2017 – Aug 2018

I served CFC since Sep 2017

1. Continued CFC previous Youth Coordinator tasks to send Youth to WJCC in Italy and Olympiad U-16 in India
    2. Put together the Youth Fund for 2018 for executives approval
    3. Initiated Youth Committee forum for discussion

International Tournaments handled as follows:

1. U-16 Olympiad 2017 in India.
    2. World Junior Chess Championship 2017 in Italy.
    3. PanAmerican 2018 in Chile
    4. NAYCC 2018 in Mexico (in progress)
    5. WCCC 2018 in Spain (in progress)
    6. WYCC 2018 in Greece (in progress)
    7. WJCC 2018 in Turkey (in progress)

I thank the HoDs that did and doing excellent job.

It has been an experience to serve CFC and Chess Youth community for the past year.
    I will step down from my role as Youth Coordinator and I am nominating Christina Tao from Windsor as my replacement. She is very passionate about youth chess program and I am confident that she can do a very good job.

Thanks

Undriadi Benggawan

I echo Undriadi's endorsement of Christina!

Blog Entries

Thank you Undriadi for your report and your service as youth coordinator. I know that I was often a bit of a wet blanket on spending but I appreciated your advocating for our young players and thank you for doing all the heavy lifting required for the position.

Christina is very organized and helpful in just about everything she involves herself in. She was a big help when Windsor organized the three tournaments CYCC/CO/NAYCC in 2016 and she has been quite helpful to the CFC in organizing parents and sharing information even in the case of this year's WYCC which she is not even attending. She has been head of delegation for a number of events including the U16 Olympiad in Mongolia and several events in the Americas like Pan Ams.

Someone with a longer memory might tell me whether she would be the first woman on the board of directors of the CFC.

While there are several Taos listed on the CFC membership list there are no current CFC members from Windsor named Tao.

Please note that all nominees must be current adult CFC members - and nominations for the 2018-19 board should be made in the Incoming meeting

Default 4E FIDE Report

Olympiad:

Since the last meeting most of my time has been devoted to the Olympic Team. In absence of any volunteers, I have assumed the role of Olympic Co-ordinator. I hope we will be able to attract new talent in this role for 2020 for the Olympiad in Khanty Mansiysk.

Once the Selection Rating List was established (thanks to Victor Plotkin!) invitations were sent out. A number of players declined so more invitations were sent until we arrived at our current roster of Olympians. The registration process has been time consuming. It includes the identification of our delegation members, along with accommodation and travel details along with financial matters. Most of the remaining tasks should be cleared up this week.

This year we were also hoping for more than one Canadian Arbiter to be named to the Olympiad. We proposed IA Aris Marghetis as a Sector Arbiter, followed by IA Danny Goldenberg and FA (soon to be IA) Vadim Tsypin. Sadly only Aris was appointed and he will serve as match Arbiter. I declined to serve as Arbiter because the Delegate chores are plentiful enough and it is unfair to the Olympic Arbiting team when one is diverted to matters of the Congress. In my opinion Delegates should not even be allowed to "moonlight" as Arbiters at the Olympiad.

FIDE Congress

This is an election year and Canada is publicly supporting the Acting President George Makropoulos. I believe "Makro" has put together a very strong ticket, including England's Malcolm Pein and I hope he is successful. He has already proposed a number of reforms and he will continue perform admirably if elected.

One goal I have with FIDE America in Batumi is to create some clear regulations specific to the North American Youth and North American Junior Championships. The NAYCC has been on a rotation between Canada, USA and Mexico since we got involved in 2010. Canada appears to be the only Federation to deliver this event in accordance with the existing regulations and last year the rotation came under attack when the NAYCC was awarded for 2 consecutive years to Mexico. We protested vigorously and have been allowed to bid for 2019. Despite holding a robust bidding process within Canada and presenting a detailed bid from Chess n' Math in November of 2017, they will not formally award the bid until the Congress on Batumi. We have the support of CCA President Jorge Vega and Secretary Russell Smith and I am confident that we will get the bid, but I am dismayed by the process.

A number of Title Applications are also in process for the Congress for both players and Arbiters. I hope to report on their success following the Congress.

Should anyone have items that you want me to bring forward at the Congress please let me know at your earliest convenience.

Respectfully Submitted

Hal Bond
    FIDE Zone 2.2 President and Delegate, Canada

Blog Entries

4L. Treasurer's Report

I don't have a formal report at the moment, as we are waiting for Bob to finalize the notes for the Financial Statements. We had the opportunity for preliminary discussion of year-end finances at the last quarterly meeting, and I can attempt to answer any more questions you may have.

I'll make some comments when the final document is ready.

Fred

Thank you, Undriadi, for your work as CFC Youth Coordinator!

Any plans for U-16 Olympiad 2018?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

4H. Woman’s Coordinator's report

With the precious help of the FQE, the Women Zonal has been organized. WIM Mali-Jade Ouelette has won both the Womens' Closed and her age group at the CYCC and will represent Canada twice at a World Championship.

There should be a women on the FQE board of directors. Her appointment has not been made official yet, but has been mentioned during the FQE AGM. This will certainly help Women's chess locally.

FIDE allows us to do both a non-Zonal Women chess championship and a Women Team Championship in which norms are possible despite not having at least three Federations present. It will be much harder to find a bidder for those and I may be compelled to make a return as an organizer.

I am willing to stand for reelection.

Respectfully Submitted

Pierre Dénommée
    CFC Woman’s Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    Should anyone have items that you want me to bring forward at the Congress please let me know at your earliest convenience.
    I am working on a report to be submitted to the Swiss Pairing Programs Commission. Most current VM are probably unaware that as an arbiter, I have used Dubov Swiss pairing system ounce in the Canadian Closed. To my best knowledge, it remains the highest level at which the system has ever been used. I have also used it other tournaments. SPP is asking for comments on the current draft of the new Dubov rules, see item 3 on http://pairings.fide.com/ . Arbiters with practical knowledge of this system are rare and I have an opportunity to make a modest contribution.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast