Thread: Result of 2016 attempted suit vs. CFC?

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Default Result of 2016 attempted suit vs. CFC?

From an old VM meeting: (Vlad's words):

"Robert Hamilton has filed a lawsuit in Ontario Small Claims court over a game which he dictated over the phone to John Upper and which was published on the CFC website newsfeed...

I may have missed or forgot the final resolution of this 2016 matter, but does anyone know how things went for the CFC (at least in terms of the result)?

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...obert+hamilton
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 08-14-2018 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Adding link
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Blog Entries

Les Bunning has been handling it since the case was transferred to the small claims court in Ottawa. I went to a settlement conference in Burlington maybe two years ago which was where the transfer to Ottawa was requested. Robert Hamilton's attorney attended by phone. I represented the CFC.

There was an issue with notice being given of a hearing date while Les was out of the country. There was a motion to postpone the hearing which was agreed to by Mr. Hamilton. I'm not sure what happened after that. Apparently if we lose by default no precedent was set so I haven't been that concerned. Robert's lawyer has been having some health issues I am told which already led to one postponement. I am not sure that this is still going ahead. I was asked by Les not to make any public comments about the case and I have kept quiet since he briefed me on his strategy.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-15-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

I'm wondering who is younger/healthier, Les or Robert's lawyer? That's since, in case Les is ever no longer available, I'm also wondering if the CFC can easily get another lawyer to handle this case for it (if it ever proceeds) pro bono (as Les is, I'm assuming), or, if not, can another lawyer at least be retained by the CFC, at such a point, reasonably cheaply?
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Blog Entries

I have no knowledge of this thing proceeding so until I hear otherwise, I think its dead.