Thread: FIDE Elections - Public Discussion

Blog Entries

Default FIDE Elections - Public Discussion

Vlad had posted some thoughts last month on the FIDE Election in the CFC News forum (which not everyone can reply to). It is public knowledge that the present CFC Board of Directors will instruct it's Delegate to vote for Makropolous.

Most of you are also aware of the sometimes vicious thread that has recently quieted down on Chess Talk. I was doing a Google search today for recent articles using "FIDE corruption" as the search terms. I came across the much more civilized thread of the English Chess Forum (ECF - but not to be confused with the English Chess Federation). An interesting 15 or so minute read to go through all 13 pages of comments - varied thought on who would win.
    https://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9730

Hey Kevin: How about making two polls to spruce things up here
    1) Who would you vote for as FIDE President ?
    2) Who do you think will win ?

Blog Entries

My only comment at this point is why is it too much to ask for a candidate who doesn't have baggage or a major flaw? This is not some little tiny operation, this is a major international sporting organization.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    My only comment at this point is why is it too much to ask for a candidate who doesn't have baggage or a major flaw? This is not some little tiny operation, this is a major international sporting organization.
    The nominations are closed, there will not be any other candidate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    The nominations are closed, there will not be any other candidate.
    I wasn't asking for one to step forward, I was lamenting the state of the FIDE elections for at least the last 10 years, maybe longer.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Vlad had posted some thoughts last month on the FIDE Election in the CFC News forum (which not everyone can reply to). It is public knowledge that the present CFC Board of Directors will instruct it's Delegate to vote for Makropolous.

Most of you are also aware of the sometimes vicious thread that has recently quieted down on Chess Talk. I was doing a Google search today for recent articles using "FIDE corruption" as the search terms. I came across the much more civilized thread of the English Chess Forum (ECF - but not to be confused with the English Chess Federation). An interesting 15 or so minute read to go through all 13 pages of comments - varied thought on who would win.
    https://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9730

Hey Kevin: How about making two polls to spruce things up here
    1) Who would you vote for as FIDE President ?
    2) Who do you think will win ?

It is interesting to see that the stated reason we voted for Kirsan in 2014 is my hatred for Kasparov. That analysis is flawed being that our first straw vote on the topic saw me as being the only member of the board voting for Kasparov. There was an animus against Hal Bond in the Kasparov camp which was a holdover from earlier battles.

I did not appreciate the attempt to attack a loyal friend and lieutenant. Oh well enough about 2014 and the fictional story that is being weaved out of whole cloth with no basis in reality.

the present CFC Board of Directors will instruct it's Delegate to vote for Makropolous.
    What do you mean by "the present". You think that the outgoing board shall have power on the incoming board and its FIDE repr. (unless there will no changes in the board composition).
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    What do you mean by "the present". You think that the outgoing board shall have power on the incoming board and its FIDE repr. (unless there will no changes in the board composition).
    No, that was my point, the board after the election will give the final verdict.

The present board has already voted and that was the unanimous result. Presumably it would take 4 new board members (or as Vlad says something big to come to light before the election) to change the instructions.

Blog Entries

No, that was my point, the board after the election will give the final verdict.

The present board has already voted and that was the unanimous result. Presumably it would take 4 new board members (or as Vlad says something big to come to light before the election) to change the instructions.
    We are also approaching a drop dead date after which delegates can't be changed if I remember the rules properly. At this point none of the positions on the board appear to have contests though this can change even at the online meeting.