Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CFC Webzine - A Bold Experiment...but....

Default Webzine - Current Arrangement?

Hi Chris:

At the same time could you shed some light on the current situation re the editorship. How does Gerry's team ( as far as I can ascertain from public statements, there is only him and one other - Smale? ) handle the editorship. Is one of them mainly responsible for the webzine? Do we refer to that person as the " editor " ? I wrote in to the webzine today, and used the " contact us " e-mail link. I was drawing the " editor's " attention to a rating glitch. I addressed it to Gerry, since the e-mail doesn't say who it is going to, but I didn't know if he was the one to receive it.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 06-08-2009 at 08:19 PM.

Default Half right

Hi Bob etal

Lawrence Day was retained as the editor and Bill Evans was retained to develop the technical side. Things didn't work out with Bill and Lawrence chose not to work with Vincent.

Vincent did his best to develop the webzine. I arranged for a number of people to provide regular content. The webzine needs to be a priority.

This is the email I sent to Vincent on Janury 14th.

Hi Vincent:

The idea is for the columnsts to rotate every Monday so there is a reason to drop by every month. So, for example,

Lawrence Day January 19
    Mark Bluvstein January 26
    Nikolay February 2
    Maybe Kevin's tournament report will go here

We want people knowing that they should come back every week and hopefull there will be other content -- tourament reports, clubs, etx.

What would be nice is if there was a 'book/product' review section. Every chess player I know loves books

Quote Originally Posted by David Lavin
    Hi Bob etal

Lawrence Day was retained as the editor and Bill Evans was retained to develop the technical side. Things didn't work out with Bill and Lawrence chose not to work with Vincent.

Vincent did his best to develop the webzine. I arranged for a number of people to provide regular content. The webzine needs to be a priority.

This is the email I sent to Vincent on Janury 14th.

Hi Vincent:

The idea is for the columnsts to rotate every Monday so there is a reason to drop by every month. So, for example,

Lawrence Day January 19
    Mark Bluvstein January 26
    Nikolay February 2
    Maybe Kevin's tournament report will go here

We want people knowing that they should come back every week and hopefull there will be other content -- tourament reports, clubs, etx.
    David,

Before asking you to define your use of the word "retained", I'll define another word: deceitful
    1. Given to cheating or deceiving.
    2. Deliberately misleading; deceptive.

Bill Evans

Unhappy Funny how a lot of things just don't work out...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Evans
    David,

Before asking you to define your use of the word "retained", I'll define another word: deceitful
    1. Given to cheating or deceiving.
    2. Deliberately misleading; deceptive.

Bill Evans
    "Things didn't work out with Bill" - David Lavin

Funny how a lot of things just don't work out... There must be a very interesting story here some where. Too bad it likely will never reach the light of day...

Maybe it will. Hopefully before the CFC AGM so votes can be cast with full knowledge of just exactly what has transpired over the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft
    before the CFC AGM
    meaning that proxies should be send in the last minute?
    .*-1

Oh my, "retained" were we? Does that mean like actual money? I don't think the CFC 2008 books will show any money paid to Bill Evans or Lawrence Day (despite what we may have been led to believe). Bill's technical skills were fine. The problem was that there was zero budget provided, either for tech or content. Bill wasn't even recompensed for his expenses. Nevertheless Herculean results were expected. The whole episode was distasteful. I quit.

In late November, when David Lavin fired Bill Evans it reminded me how he had also fired David Cohen from fund-raising for the Olympic team for no reason which I could discern. Since then he has fired lots more people. Having run out of people to fire perhaps the CFC should consider his mission accomplished and time for a change, perhaps to a President who hasn't antagonized all the people who could provide an interesting webzine which attracts subscribers rather than repelling them.
    (Note: chess.com has 27000 Canadian members; chess.ca is wasting a potentially valuable address.)

In December David Lavin asked if I could write some regular articles at $125 each. I tried with the article on Bohatirchuk but when it appeared it had annoying typos, lack of proof-reading, unfriendly layout~essentially no editing at all. I tried one final time with the Theodorovich article but even if I did careful proof-reading and editing myself, the goofy diagrams recurred and remained uncorrected, and the navigation required obviously user unfriendly. Appalling, especially compared with what it might have been.

Ironically I had promised the Bohatirchuk article to some foreign friends and the CFC version was so embarrassingly presented that Bill Evans voluntarily redid it sensibly and typo-free.

Unhappy Zero Based Budgeting ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Day
    Oh my, "retained" were we? Does that mean like actual money? I don't think the CFC 2008 books will show any money paid to Bill Evans or Lawrence Day (despite what we may have been led to believe). Bill's technical skills were fine. The problem was that there was zero budget provided.......
    Besides the term "retained", David seems to also has trouble with the term "Zero Based Budgeting", which is perhaps what he is trying to apply here. More examples of David's "zero based budget concept" are when the ED team (Bob, Paul, Vince) assumed additional duties back in January with the closing of the Ottawa office, the ED salary budget was affected as such:

1. New webzine launched, Vince takes on duties of editor, additional ED salary budget = zero
    2. Bonnie terminated, Paul assumes additional duties for retail and membership renewals, additional ED salary budget = zero
    3. Twyla terminated (part time freelance bookkeeper), Bob assumes additional duties, additional ED salary budget = zero.

Apparently we were supposed to do all this for free.

The key word here is "free".

I like the word free. I will use it in a sentence.

Since I resigned as CFC governor, I am free of all the ?!#@&!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast