Thread: Anyone know total number of USCF members circa 2017?

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Default Anyone know total number of USCF members circa 2017?

I'm wondering if anyone knows roughly what the total number of USCF members was at the end of 2017. Long ago I recall someone (Vlad, I think) posted on chesstalk that the total was about 200,000 some years ago. Whatever it is these days (e.g. when tallied at the end of 2017), perhaps the CFC should hope to one day in the distant future have the total CFC membership figure reach about 10% of the USCF total, given that Canada is one-tenth of what the US is in many areas, i.e. as a rule of thumb.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone knows roughly what the total number of USCF members was at the end of 2017. Long ago I recall someone (Vlad, I think) posted on chesstalk that the total was about 200,000 some years ago. Whatever it is these days (e.g. when tallied at the end of 2017), perhaps the CFC should hope to one day in the distant future have the total CFC membership figure reach about 10% of the USCF total, given that Canada is one-tenth of what the US is in many areas, i.e. as a rule of thumb.
    Wiki gives ~80 000.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...ess_Federation
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    I would have said 80,000 but it might be 70,000 as I remember seeing such a figure in one of the USCF communications. I'm not sure that they ever reached 200k so you might be misremembering my quote or perhaps I just made a typo. Still they had about four times the participation on a population basis compared to the CFC.

Here's your answer...by year from 1952 to 2017.

http://www.uschess.org/images/storie...17yearbook.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    Here's your answer...by year from 1952 to 2017.

http://www.uschess.org/images/storie...17yearbook.pdf
    Thnx. Do you know a reason why the balance started to grow ~500,000 a year?
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Thanks guys. I now do have the feeling I did indeed misremember the figure Vlad once gave on chesstalk for the then current total USCF membership figure.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Thnx. Do you know a reason why the balance started to grow ~500,000 a year?
    Not sure why. Perhaps more and bigger junior/scholastic events? That's where the money is.

Blog Entries

My first guess concerning the sudden increase of USCF wealth was that it had something to do with the 2014 FIDE election [campaign]. Then I noticed (by one Google search which I did) that as of 2014, the USCF can accept charitable donations & give some sort of a tax receipt to donors. Other than that, I don't have an explanation for certain, either.
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 08-03-2018 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Grammar