Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: What's hot in real world news?

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    As long as the posts are not defamatory, needlessly insulting or so on we are not likely to intervene even in off topic discussions. I just would hate to see certain people pop up here as we will not tolerate the behaviour that is deemed acceptable elsewhere.
    I can only speak for myself, but if we degenerate here to that endless crap, I'm gone. Sooooo, I thank you for expressing the intolerance for trolly unacceptable behaviour.

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Seems like reasonable restrictions by Vlad.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Blog Entries

Here's the wiki on Tim Buck, with some notes on the history of Communism in Canada. The neutrality of a section of the article is indicated as being in dispute, though. Fwiw, I'd think since he was a leader of the party for a time, a book by him on the subject might be biased, too (such as it understating the influence of the party). I already know enough as a Christian, namely that the saint Pope John Paul II abhorred Communism, as did those who were victimized by it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Buck
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 08-03-2018 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Grammar
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Blog Entries

Something that possibly should be hotter in the news than it was was last December's admission by the Pentagon that it had indeed been studying UFO sightings, still, for years. At the very least, it's an admission the US government can lie to the public in a big way :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanc...cation_Program
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 08-19-2018 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Adding content

Blog Entries

Here's a wiki about Maxime Bernier, a Canadian Conservative politician in the news who's had ups and downs over the years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxime_Bernier

Blog Entries

Below is a Wikipedia entry on Justin Trudeau, Canada's Prime Minister [Liberal]; based on the domestic policies section alone, I'm sort of wondering why there's no section entitled 'Criticisms' or 'Controversies', or some such, though perhaps Wikipedia is left-leaning after all:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Trudeau
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 08-19-2018 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Spelling

Blog Entries

This month a red heifer was born in Israel, after attempts were made to make this occur (perhaps importantly, I've heard that no DNA manipulation was used). Here's a link alluding to the possible significance of the event, if the improbable happens and a Third Temple is built in the animal's lifespan (18-22 years normally - Google):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_he...mple_Institute
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 09-18-2018 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Adding content

Blog Entries

Here's a link on how often the notwithstanding clause has been used in Canadian history - note in particular Quebec's blanket usage of it. This is rather contrary to biased media reports that Ontario's current PC government is using a tool that has rarely been used (albeit with just a possible hint of personal payback to T.O. by the Premier, I'd speculate, in spite of my not minding more efficient and less obstructive-to-progress municipal governments everywhere):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sectio...f_the_override

Blog Entries

Today it was announced that Ontario's actual deficit for this year will be $15,000,000,000, thanks to the previous Liberal administration, who hid this figure with accounting tricks for the purpose of their unsuccessful re-election bid. I've heard that this means the province's debt is now expected to be $360,000,000,000 (which will in theory take well over 300 years to pay down if $1 billion were set aside for this purpose every year; the interest payment every year alone is crushing, more than for public education alone). That's in spite of the Wikipedia link below, which gives a somewhat lower figure. Note the wiki (typically for the internet) seems perhaps biased to the political left, in that it does not mention that the PC administration of Mike Harris was hobbled by the federal Liberals downloading their debt on the provinces at the time. Not only that, but it does not mention that Ontario's Green Energy Act (brought in under the provincial Liberals by Dalton McGuinty's administration, and supported by the provincial NDP) greatly contributed to the increased debt due to the last 15 years of Liberal provincial governance. That Act is now officially dead, thank God. The very bad news is that the same brain trust that brought that Act to us (e.g. ex-Canadian WWF president & CEO Gerald Butts) now has the ear of the current Federal (Liberal) Government (e.g. Butts is chief advisor to Trudeau Jr.).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_government_debt
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 09-21-2018 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Adding content

Blog Entries

Here's a brief wiki on the two strong tornadoes that hit Ottawa on Friday (the 21st); I just got power back in my neck of the woods (West End, close to Ottawa River) almost 4 hours ago. I see from John Upper's post in another thread that the RA chess club in Ottawa South was open yesterday, if the RA building ever was in the dark:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_O...neau_tornadoes

Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast