Thread: Minor question for administator(s)

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Default Minor question for administator(s)

I've noticed that, unless someone is marked as 'Administrator', 'CFC Governor', 'CFC Executive' and such, below a person's name in their CFC Discussion Board Forum Posts (or when they are listed under 'Community') there is something such as 'Empty Square' (typically if they have made a low number of forum posts) or 'Pawn', 'Bishop' or some such thing if they have made relatively quite a few posts, 'Bishop' seemingly a label for people who have made significantly more posts so far than those with 'Pawn', for example. I'm wondering if such labels correspond roughly to what I recall was indicated to be 'Rep Power' on chesstalk (a number rather than chess piece label, in that Board's case). Looking under FAQ for the CFC Discussion Board, 'Reputation' is mentioned, and that that can be disabled by admin (as it seems to have been), but that would seem to be something different than the notion of Rep Power that I'm thinking is being used by chess piece/square labels on this Discussion Board. Am I right that my own current label of 'Bishop' is a kind of Rep Power indication, for example?
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Blog Entries

It's strictly an indication of number of posts. Rep Power is an indication of quality of posts, as voted by other members of the forum. So you can "upvote" a post, for example, and the poster earns rep power. The more rep power YOU have, the more effect it has.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

Funny, I'm pretty sure that on chesstalk, rep power meant an indication of the number of posts, i.e. within a range (while reputation meant something different). I haven't gone back to that Board for a long time since it apparently had infected my laptop, though. Maybe you'd know if I'm right about what rep power meant on chesstalk, i.e. different from what you wrote it is just on this CFC Discussion Board.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Blog Entries

I don't know if they changed it when they upgraded to vB 5, but what I wrote is how Rep Power worked on Chesstalk up to a month or so ago. The top level for Rep Power was originally "Infamous" and whenever I googled my name the first thing that came up was "Christopher Mallon is infamous..." from the Chesstalk profile page - I assume because it was also the same here, and also that weird Kovalchuk thread really boosted CT on google for a while.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    ... that weird Kovalchuk thread really boosted CT on google for a while.
    I recall that thread, started by Ben Daswani on chesstalk, had over 200,000 views at one point(!) Intentionally or not, Ben proved to be so media savvy that maybe even Neil Frarey (if he noticed) was envious.