Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FIDE election, some thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I THINK, but don't know for sure, that if the first ballot doesn't produce a "50% + 1 vote" winner, then the lowest is dropped, and another ballot occurs, and so on. In this election, barring some weird tie situations, this should take at most two ballots. Please note that what I'm saying is based on hearsay, that it could actually work differently.
    Would need to go through prehistorical elections to confirm, but that was happened before. It might be that the candidates with the least votes dropped their ticket, and it became only 2 candidate in the second round.
    .*-1

A most bizarre election method.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    The board has voted unanimously to support George Makropoulos. The only thing that will change our vote is some new development or replacement of the board before the FIDE election.
    It seems Makro has been involved in some rather dubious appointments
    (see today's article on Spraggett's blog:http://www.spraggettonchess.com/makr...d-of-election/ )

I am not always a big fan of KS and some of his ranting but it seems he may have a point. The blog entry points to the following letter:

https://africachessmedia.com/2018/08...hess-olympiad/

and some of the issues raised there.

It would not surprise me to find that Makro is more or less cut from the same cloth as IllusionOf. I think the CFC should perhaps hold off on any endorsement (since I am sure the CFC preference will influence no one anyway). I also find Nigel Short's platform somewhat lacking and his personal
    appeal tainted by his often stated views about women (chess players and non-players). He (Short) is not even a serious candidate in my opinion.

This leaves the only other choice which may be lesser of all evils.

Blog Entries

The people who organize the tournament usually make the choice of arbiters. I know because I am from time to time asked to send an email to an organizer asking them to employ someone specific from Canada as an arbiter. When I organized the CYCC/CO/NAYCC in 2016, I had far more people who wanted arbiter positions than I had arbiter positions. Politics and personalities and friendships do enter into it with regard to who gets those positions. The organizer does not want any headaches or personality conflicts. Just because someone calls something corrupt does not make it corrupt. Their job is to put on and organize an Olympiad and a FIDE general assembly and election and not to make every individual federation happy with their choices at every step of the way. The Batumi organizers have put up on the order of 18 million Euros in order to host this Olympiad, FIDE meeting and the World Cup. They get to make the decisions that they want to make.

I still have a bone to pick with this year's organizer over the treatment of Anton Kovalyov at the World Cup. It will have to wait for another few years as I am not attending Batumi. I am getting lots of emails from various people complaining about different things some of which are written in languages that I am not fluent in. Google translate usually lets me get the gist of it. Most of them amount to nonsense (Patrick the head of AIDEF unfriended someone on facebook for being rude). These are not things that I put much concern into.

We are not going to vote for someone on the pre-sanction list of the U.S. Treasury department. Explanations of how this eventuality might be mitigated have not reached my inbox. I have seen communications complaining about things Kirsan Ilyumzhinov did (though trying to blame Makro) by the campaign which includes Kirsan as an advisor. Barring a large scale change of mind, five of the seven previous CFC board members are returning and thus the decision to support George Makropoulos is not likely to change.

Blog Entries

Don't forget the 2 FIDE election polls we have set up in the English Chat Forum; 1) Who do you think will win ?, 2) Who would you vote for ?

Why the Association of Chess Professionals supports Arkady Dvorkovich

Author: ACP Board
    Date: 2 September 2018

A few weeks ago the ACP Board unanimously voted to support the candidacy of Arkady Dvorkovich for the FIDE presidency, an unprecedented stance in the history of our association. Never before had ACP supported any candidate, feeling that we should remain neutral in the political arena. However this could no longer be the case. Major problems require major, groundbreaking decisions.

In a large part this decision was taken as a result of a major disappointment with the current FIDE leadership, especially when you consider that Mr. Makropoulos has been a top FIDE official uninterruptedly from 1986 (that’s all of 32 years).

However, it was not less important for ACP to hear Mr. Dvorkovich's opinion on the matters we find vitally important for chess and we were pleased to see that he shares our views on many issues.

The work of FIDE

FIDE’s work has been utterly ineffective for quite some time now - the work of many Commissions is poor and they are not independent as they should be. The whole decision-taking process is non-transparent to the extreme, with budget allocation criteria unknown to everyone but a handful of top executives and the most important decisions often taken single-handedly without a proper discussion.
    On top of it, there is no proper communication with the outside world, there are no lasting commercial partners and many of the deeds regarding the major FIDE events are obscure at best. The lack of transparency gets to such a degree that often the members of respective Commissions don't know about the decisions taken by their own Commission. All these problems must be seriously tackled and Mr. Dvorkovich’s vision is similar to ours in this regard.

Anti-cheating issues

We have repeatedly stressed that this is a life-threatening problem for chess, but FIDE, which reluctantly agreed to set up the Anti-Cheating Commission in 2014, has since then hindered the work of the Commission in many ways: by not funding it properly, by not providing it with the tools it has been repeatedly asking, by letting outsiders write the regulations that the Commission should have written. In other words, ACC is only a formal body with little power to make an impact on the fight against cheating. Mr. Dvorkovich is the only candidate who specified his intention to fight the issue by allocating the much needed funds and approving the required regulations. ACP feels this is vital for chess and will fight side by side with Mr. Dvorkovich to make sure that an effective anti-cheating framework is implemented.

World Championship Cycle

This is a very troublesome area. To start with, the last title match saw the highest budget for such an event ever but also one of the lowest prize-funds in modern history. That is simply ridiculous. Restoring transparency and respect for the players is a very much needed action. It is not irrelevant to mention that the Grand Prix series suffered a major blow in recent years, mainly due to FIDE’s inability to attract corporate sponsors.
    We feel this could change with Mr.Dvorkovich being elected.

Women's chess

Top female players suffer from lack of suitable events. Even the World Championship cycle is constantly rescheduled and reshaped. Events are cancelled and the strongest female player in the world refuses to participate in the official competitions that are organized in this haphazard way. This can no longer continue. ACP welcomes Mr. Dvorkovich’s written engagement to establish a properly functioning World Championship Cycle for Women, re-establishing the Grand Prix series, introducing the Candidates Tournament and aligning Men's and Women's Championship Cycles.

Helping veterans

FIDE has first reduced and then discontinued its support for this important project, which safeguards the dignity of players who made the history of our game. Mr. Dvorkovich, on the other hand, plans to re-establish it, something which ACP warmly welcomes – having fought for this program from the very beginning. In addition, conditions for the World Veteran competitions must be improved. Today these events have a very clear commercial purpose, while we want our distinguished veterans to be engaged with chess without being overcharged time after time.

Calendar of official events

The dates of the major events are regularly shifted and that creates a major problem for both players and organizers of traditional events. The chess calendar should be carefully planned two years ahead and FIDE should stick to it.

FIDE General Assemblies and Terms

ACP strongly supports the view that no President should be serving for more than two consecutive terms. This is vital to democracy in every major organization and FIDE is no exception. Additionally, ACP supports Mr. Dvorkovich’s idea of a FIDE General Assembly every year. This will encourage change, adaptation to the changing times and will provide Commissions with the much needed feedback from the chess community.

During our meetings with Mr.Dvorkovich we have extensively discussed these and other issues and we can clearly see his professionalism and ability to bring about the necessary changes. ACP is ready to join forces with the Dvorkovich Team and be proactively involved in all the processes that can make the professional chess world a better place.

It is time for a change.

ACP Board

https://www.chessprofessionals.org/c...ady-dvorkovich
    Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; 09-02-2018 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Text formatting.

Blog Entries

Vadim

I wonder if you're posting this in support of the ACP Decision / Dvorkovich team or simply as part of your new role as CFC Publicity Officer ? I'm not sure if we ever announced it after the conclusion of the AGM.

Fred

Blog Entries

I spoke to Mr. Dvorkovich by telephone this week. He is an impressive candidate. He has indicated that the pre-sanction list which basically includes everyone in the Russian government will not progress to him being placed on a sanctions list because he is out of the Russian government. I believe FIDE has two good choices in this election: Mr. Makropoulos and Mr. Dvorkovich.

Blog Entries

Vadim Tsypin is indeed our new publicity officer. I look forward to working with him even more than we have in the recent past.

Meeting 95 federations and gaining a clear confidence in over 90 delegates' votes for our candidate as of today

Over the past two and a half months, Arkady Dvorkovich and his team members have met representatives of 95 national chess Federations, each continent visited at least twice. As of today, these meetings and discussions give Arkady Dvorkovich's team a clear vote of support from 91 federations.

In the Arab world, Tunisia and Sudan have officially replied to the President of the Arab Chess Union's (ACU) call to side with Arkady Dvorkovich. Let us keep in mind that although the ACF President is entitled to call for support, he is actually not entitled to vote at the upcoming FIDE presidential election.

In ASEAN, Association of Southeast Asian Nations listing 10 federations, a vote of Mr. Prospero Pichay, President of the Philippines Chess Federation, does by no means amount to 10 votes as part of one list even taking into account his status as President of the ASEAN Chess Confederation (ACC). We are confident that the Asian national chess federations will follow their own best judgment in the interest of chess and future of FIDE.

We keep looking forward to the elections of October 3 as a turning point bringing renewal so much needed by FIDE. It is now less than a month before the FIDE Congress kicks off in Batumi. Our team will continue meeting representatives of various federations to discuss the 8 strong moves intended to transform FIDE. Hopefully, we will succeed in convincing people to join us for this journey of chess development.

Bachar Kouatly, President of the French Chess Federation

https://fide2018.com/news/25

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast