Thread: Excuse my chess

Threaded View

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Red face Excuse my chess

For those who have forgotten, this forum supports pgn and has a pgn viewing capability (though one cannot use it to play over any variations given, to a game that uses it).

I'd suggest to Chris (or some other moderator) to make a sticky that shows the original thread about all this, some years back, unless a more streamlined version of such a thread can be made. I found the original thread using the search term "supports pgn". Just a note: it seems worth it/necessary to do a preview after entering a game, plus it's a good idea to play through the game in preview mode to see if the text of the game plus notations may have a problem that needs slight altering.

Regarding the title for this current thread that I chose, it's an attempt to make light of my bad play (and opening choice) in an old Active game displayed below, for the sake of a quick demonstration of the pgn viewer:

[Event "RA Introductory Active"]
    [Site "Ottawa, CAN"]
    [Date "2008.09.11"]
    [Round "6"]
    [White "De Kerpel, Stijn"]
    [Black "Pacey, Kevin"]
    [Result "1-0"]

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d5 {Stijn laughed out loud. Around this time Kevin had already trotted out the Latvian Gambit and escaped with a draw. Now he unwisely dares the perhaps even more risky Elephant Gambit, knowing little about how to survive with it, in this case too.} 3.exd5 Bd6 4.d4 e4 5.Ne5 Ne7 {5...Nf6 is all ECO gives, in a variation leading to a depressing outcome.} 6.Nc3 Bb4 {6...f6!? 7.Nc4 Bb4} 7.Bb5+ Nd7 8.Qg4 g6 {Better was 8...Nxd5, though White is well on top.} 9.O-O {Better was 9.Qxe4, before Black guards his proud e-pawn.} f5 10.Qh4 O-O {Better was 10...c6, though White is well on top.} 11.Bc4 {White is winning now.} Bd6 {11...Nb6 is preferable. Now White wins material sooner, often with the tactic d5-d6+ as soon as the B leaves d6.} 12.Bg5 a6 13.f3 {13.Bxe7 was better, to win material faster, but it's academic.} e3 14.Bxe7 Bxe7 {Of course, taking back with the queen should be preferred. Now Black loses a bigger chunk of material.} 15.d6+ 1-0
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 07-09-2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Adding more explanation (for richer variations, an engine is suggested).
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.