Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excuse my chess

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Red face Excuse my chess

For those who have forgotten, this forum supports pgn and has a pgn viewing capability (though one cannot use it to play over any variations given, to a game that uses it).

I'd suggest to Chris (or some other moderator) to make a sticky that shows the original thread about all this, some years back, unless a more streamlined version of such a thread can be made. I found the original thread using the search term "supports pgn". Just a note: it seems worth it/necessary to do a preview after entering a game, plus it's a good idea to play through the game in preview mode to see if the text of the game plus notations may have a problem that needs slight altering.

Regarding the title for this current thread that I chose, it's an attempt to make light of my bad play (and opening choice) in an old Active game displayed below, for the sake of a quick demonstration of the pgn viewer:

[Event "RA Introductory Active"]
    [Site "Ottawa, CAN"]
    [Date "2008.09.11"]
    [Round "6"]
    [White "De Kerpel, Stijn"]
    [Black "Pacey, Kevin"]
    [Result "1-0"]

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d5 {Stijn laughed out loud. Around this time Kevin had already trotted out the Latvian Gambit and escaped with a draw. Now he unwisely dares the perhaps even more risky Elephant Gambit, knowing little about how to survive with it, in this case too.} 3.exd5 Bd6 4.d4 e4 5.Ne5 Ne7 {5...Nf6 is all ECO gives, in a variation leading to a depressing outcome.} 6.Nc3 Bb4 {6...f6!? 7.Nc4 Bb4} 7.Bb5+ Nd7 8.Qg4 g6 {Better was 8...Nxd5, though White is well on top.} 9.O-O {Better was 9.Qxe4, before Black guards his proud e-pawn.} f5 10.Qh4 O-O {Better was 10...c6, though White is well on top.} 11.Bc4 {White is winning now.} Bd6 {11...Nb6 is preferable. Now White wins material sooner, often with the tactic d5-d6+ as soon as the B leaves d6.} 12.Bg5 a6 13.f3 {13.Bxe7 was better, to win material faster, but it's academic.} e3 14.Bxe7 Bxe7 {Of course, taking back with the queen should be preferred. Now Black loses a bigger chunk of material.} 15.d6+ 1-0
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 07-09-2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Adding more explanation (for richer variations, an engine is suggested).
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Hello Kevin, I thoroughly enjoyed this post, thank you! And here's why: I just have a few minutes to zip in and see if there's any critical news I should to be aware of.

The way you posted this game, with the PGN viewer makes it EXTREMELY fast and easy to go over the game! The only feedback I would have is when you have a note like: "such-and-such would be preferable", I would prefer a little bit of an explanation WHY. Don't forget that most of us (including me) are lower rated than yourself!

Anyway, thanks for this little break going over your game. I can just see Stijn chuckling, that's a fun story. I hope to make it back to the RA club this summer too.

All the best, Aris.

Blog Entries

Thanks Aris. I added a little more verbal explanation (including about some of my experience with entering games for the viewer mode). A problem is lower rated players might not be able to follow any fairly deep variations that might be given too, as (as I noted before) such cannot be played over with the viewer. In my note about why I edited my first post in this thread, I basically suggested (for anyone who has the time and will) to re-enter the game on an engine if they want to see deeper variations than I thought wise to give for any such game viewed with this board's pgn viewer.
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 07-09-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Grammar
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Blog Entries

Below is another old Active game of mine, this time with a happier outcome for yours truly, in spite of yet another fishy Black defence (a less suspect one than the Latvian or Elephant Gambit, perhaps). Ottawa master Bob Gelblum once confirmed my own opinion when long ago he joked that the Fajarowicz "just wins" against weaker players (referring to the variation of the Budapest that commences with 3...Ne4). In this case it is a young master who falls victim to the opening's power:

[Event "RA Budapest Gambit Theme Tournament (Active)"]
    [Site "Ottawa, CAN"]
    [Date "2010.06.10"]
    [Round "2"]
    [White "Marinkovic, Mate"]
    [Black "Pacey, Kevin"]
    [Result "0-1"]

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e5 3.dxe5 {Declining the Budapest Gambit with 3.d5 or 3.e3 is decidedly weaker.} Ne4 {The seldom played 3...Bb4+ may be interesting, e.g. 4.Bd2 Bxd2+ 5.Qxd2 Ng4!? is a novel idea independent of standard Budapest or Fajarowicz theory, but 5...Ne4 looks wrong due to simply 6.Qe3.} 4.Nf3 {Another move that is problematical for Black is the often adopted 4.a3, when 4...d6 may be an interesting move.} Nc6 5.Nbd2 Bb4 {Just about as good as 5...Nc5, in my opinion.} 6.Qc2 d5 7.exd6 {This sort of capture on d6 can be doubtful at times in the Fajarowicz, as it may give Black an important increase in a race for development. ECO only gives 7.e3.} Bf5 8.Qd1 {In case of the greedy looking 8.dxc7 Black has the typical 8...Qf6, refusing the pawn, at least for now, in order to develop to a more active square.} Qxd6 9.a3 Bxd2+ 10.Bxd2 O-O-O {Back in the day, my old engine rated this position as equal.} 11.Be3 Qe7 {11...Qf6!? was certainly possible too. Now White's next leads to both sides spending a move more with their queen than might have happened.} 12.Qa4 Qf6 13.Qb3 g5 14.g3 {Mate misses Black's big threat. 14.Rc1 was better.} g4 {Now Black is winning.} 15.Nh4 Nd4 16.Qa4 Nc5 {16...Nc3 also rakes in the point.} 17.Bxd4 Qxd4 18. Qd1 {18.Qb4 loses to 18...Bb1!, since if 19.Rxb1 Qe4.} 18...Qe4 {More accurate is 18...Qxb2!, since if 19.Qc1 Nd3+.} 19.Qc1 {Theoretically preferable was the grim 19.Bg2.} Nd3+ {Here my old engine claimed checkmate in 6 moves for Black.} 0-1
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 07-09-2018 at 06:49 PM.

So now the PGN viewer is no longer visible ... on either of your two games posted so far ...

Blog Entries

It's working for me.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

Still works for me, too.

OK, well this is frustrating, I only see a text dump. But I haven't changed ANYTHING in the last few days. Any thoughts on what setting I've inadvertently toggled? Thanks!

Blog Entries

Do you run NoScript or something similar?
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Do you run NoScript or something similar?
    Thanks Chris, excuse my ignorance, but I've never touched anything like that, and certainly not since the first time Kevin posted this thread. Where would I look for what?

Thanks again, and best regards, Aris.

P.S. if you prefer, I could call you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast