Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5.H Discussion of Saskatchewan Chess Federation motion regarding CYCC

I think I would rather the CFC president or the CYCC organizer, more informally, hand out exemptions to the qualification system for some kids (as is currently allowable under the rules) on a case by case basis. This would be better than hard coding a "lower standard". For example, the CYCC organizer could exempt the six kids from Saskatchewan under the current rules, for example. It would be understood this is a temporary thing as they get their youth program back on its feet. I woud approve of this kind of informal exemption happening five years in a row, as long as the exemption had a good reason each time.

In the past, when the CYCC qualification system was being debated, It was constantly being brought up that Canada had "low standards" in how it was deciding who would play in championships and who it would send abroad. This system was brought in, in part, to raise that standard. The CYCC qualification system, with all its flaws, I have to admit, still had the benefit that it started bringing more junior players to locally organized events.

The optics of having to achieve a certain goal "to qualify" are the players had to achieve something before moving onto the next stage. I think that sense of "legitimacy" given to candidates, in other words, also served as a promotional tool...and that, down the road, can help organizers in Saskatchewan too.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
    I think I would rather the CFC president or the CYCC organizer, more informally, hand out exemptions to the qualification system for some kids (as is currently allowable under the rules) on a case by case basis. This would be better than hard coding a "lower standard". For example, the CYCC organizer could exempt the six kids from Saskatchewan under the current rules, for example. It would be understood this is a temporary thing as they get their youth program back on its feet. I woud approve of this kind of informal exemption happening five years in a row, as long as the exemption had a good reason each time.

In the past, when the CYCC qualification system was being debated, It was constantly being brought up that Canada had "low standards" in how it was deciding who would play in championships and who it would send abroad. This system was brought in, in part, to raise that standard. The CYCC qualification system, with all its flaws, I have to admit, still had the benefit that it started bringing more junior players to locally organized events.

The optics of having to achieve a certain goal "to qualify" are the players had to achieve something before moving onto the next stage. I think that sense of "legitimacy" given to candidates, in other words, also served as a promotional tool...and that, down the road, can help organizers in Saskatchewan too.
    Well said, Garvin!
    I agree with every your word, and could add:
    such proposal should be brought for discussion by Youth Committee before submitting for vote.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Motion-
    The Saskatchewan Chess Federation would like to submit a motion for the 2018 Spring Online Meeting:

1) Starting in 2019, every junior player from a province that hosts the CYCC is eligible to play in the CYCC provided he or she took part in a local CYCC qualification tournament for which the organizer had remitted the fees to the CFC (i.e., any child who played, regardless of the result achieved, will have the right to go to the CYCC).
    I have learned from my former life as an organizer that local participation in a national event is essential in order to break even. My first impression is favourable to the motion.

I agree with Garvin and Michael.

Thanks,
    Undriadi Benggawan
    CFC Jr Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin Nunes View Post

I agree, and voted NO. And also, I don't believe that poll should have been posted by Vlad. It's out of process in multiple ways, and most replies here agree with Garvin.

I'm not supporting this as while I do understand the Saskatchewan situation can see the potential for abuse when the CYCC is held in a much larger province. For instance next time the event is held in Toronto and 30-40 kids turn up claiming entry under this motion. Even with the additional fee it would be less than for instance a major event like the Ontario Open much less the Canadian Open. I could see similar dodginess with the event held in Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton all of which have up and coming juniors.

I'm all for helping SK, but am not convinced this is the way either via the original motion or the first clause alone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12