I think I would rather the CFC president or the CYCC organizer, more informally, hand out exemptions to the qualification system for some kids (as is currently allowable under the rules) on a case by case basis. This would be better than hard coding a "lower standard". For example, the CYCC organizer could exempt the six kids from Saskatchewan under the current rules, for example. It would be understood this is a temporary thing as they get their youth program back on its feet. I woud approve of this kind of informal exemption happening five years in a row, as long as the exemption had a good reason each time.

In the past, when the CYCC qualification system was being debated, It was constantly being brought up that Canada had "low standards" in how it was deciding who would play in championships and who it would send abroad. This system was brought in, in part, to raise that standard. The CYCC qualification system, with all its flaws, I have to admit, still had the benefit that it started bringing more junior players to locally organized events.

The optics of having to achieve a certain goal "to qualify" are the players had to achieve something before moving onto the next stage. I think that sense of "legitimacy" given to candidates, in other words, also served as a promotional tool...and that, down the road, can help organizers in Saskatchewan too.