Thread: 4. Executive / Officer Reports

Default 4. Executive / Officer Reports

Officers and Executives - please post your reports here

Default 4C. Secretary's report

4C. Secretary's Report

As per the CFC Handbook each year as soon as possible after April 30th I am required to calculate Voting Member allotments by province for the coming year (2018-2019). This has already been sent out by e-mail to all of you. For those interested in the details you can find my spreadsheet attached to this message.

In summary, AB: 4, BC: 7, MB: 2, NB: 2, NL: 1, NS: 2, ON: 23, PEI: 1, QC: 3, SK: 1, YT: 1

These positions are normally selected at each province's AGM which in most provinces takes place between May and August. I ask each of you to ensure that this info is forwarded to your provincial president or secretary as applicable to ensure all provinces are represented at our Annual Meeting in August. (My thanks to those who have already replied)

Thanks,
    Lyle Craver
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

The treasurer's report will have to be slightly delayed as the financials are not quite ready though they should be done by the end of the meeting.

4.I Rating Auditor Report Not much to report. The system is functioning well. Ratings for highest players are drifting upward a tiny bit and average players downward a tiny bit; I'm watching closely. There was some discussion about accepting CMA ratings at par for new players, not much interest so on the back burner for now.
    I've posted a couple of rating policy items for general interest on Chess Talk.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

4.J Foundation Income from the Foundation for the FY just ended was $11,183.89 including about $950 for the Pugi Fund.
    A detailed report will be submitted at the AGM.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

4H Women Coordinator Not much to report. The Women Closed is done, see my previous report, and I have spent some time on my Provincial duties, the most demanding being the translation of the FIDE rules for the FQE rules book which has been released.

Currently I am involved in preparation for 2 different team tournaments: World Senior Team Championship (as Michael Barron mentioned in another thread) and Chess Olympiad. Just a few ideas about each event.

World Team Senior.

I hope to say more about this event after the end of the tournament, but it's looking good now. Good location, comfortable schedule, friendly organizers... I was able to register Canadian Team with minimum effort. This tournament and CFC attitude to this tournament reminds me U-16 chess Olympiad. For the comparison:

1. Both these tournaments are "semi-official": some countries are active and send a team every year, some countries completely ignore it.
    2. The only limitation is that players must be from the same country; each country can send many teams.
    3. As far as I know, CFC was practically ignoring U-16 Olympiad before 2014 (sent a team only once before 2014). For Senior Team Championship, Canada (I do not say CFC, because CFC is not involved) had a team only once, 2 years ago.
    4. After 2014, CFC became much more active in U-16 Olympiad and sends a team regularly, sometimes even more than one team, like in 2014.
    So, maybe CFC should be more involved in this tournament?

Chess Olympiad-2018.

Since 2012, Canada was always sending a strongest possible team (with the obvious exception of K.Spraggett and according to CFC rules). Unfortunately, it's different this year, and we have 2 players who declined the invitation.

1. After World Cup-2017, I was sure that A.Kovalyov would not play in Georgia again, especially with the same organizer. CFC could do absolutely nothing in this situation. It's like force majeure. I recently spoke with Anton about his possible participation in the future Olympiads (be both were playing in Chicago Open last week) - it doesn't look very promising.

I have to say, that even after a very successful 2016-Olympiad Anton was not sure about his future involvement. He wants to concentrate more on "regular" staff, like university, job... and doesn't want to be a chess professional.

2. As far as I know, the main reason for Bator's refusal was unhappiness with CFC leadership, last Selection Committee (SC) decision 2 years ago and lack of explanation by the SC for this decision. In this particular case, SC affects Canadian Team 2 years after it's death.

I don't say that I support Bator's decision; actually, I disagree with him, but I understand it. Every normal chess player knows how to lose; players should be ready to miss the team because of 1 rating point in the known-in-advance-formula. It's much more difficult to accept a loss as a result of "human factor" and unfair (from their point of view) SC decision.

I know that R.Preotu and his father were also very unhappy with the decision of the SC. It's just great that Razvan accepted the invitation.
    Last edited by Victor Plotkin; 05-30-2018 at 05:23 PM.

Default FIDE Report

2018 Spring Report to Voting Members

Better late than never I hope!

There is not a great deal to report. Our Olympic Teams are set and we look forward to the Batumi Olympiad.

FIDE politics have given rise to some banking difficulties which have been temporarily resolved. Elections are front and centre currently and we have 3 candidates for President, namely the incumbent Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, acting President Georgios Makropoulos and GM Nigel Short.

Georgios Makropoulos has reached out to both Vlad and I. He is the one who inspires the most confidence. It is possible that Nigel Short could make a case but it is unthinkable that Canada could support Kirsan again.

I am standing for re-election as FIDE Delegate and FIDE Zone 2.2 President. I shall be grateful for your support.

Sincerely

Hal Bond
    02 June 2018

Blog Entries

Default 4L Treasurer's Report

I have attached the draft Financial Statement for 2018. It is only the Revenue and Expenses, the Balance Sheet and full notes will be available shortly.

Once again we have a small net profit, even after putting $12K aside for the 2018 Olympiad. This is in large part due to a healthy increase in membership and rating fee revenue.

Comments are welcome and we can always continue conversation after the meeting ends tomorrow.

Fred McKim
    CFC Treasurer
    Attached Files Attached Files