Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.F Impeachment of CFC president over rudeness to trolls on chesstalk

Blog Entries

Default 5.F Impeachment of CFC president over rudeness to trolls on chesstalk

I received the following email from Garland Best. I discussed it with the executive and proposed a means whereby they might proceed with this if they wanted to but there did not appear to be any appetite for this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Best
    I hereby submit the following motion:

Whereas on November 24th at 2:25PM, Vlad Drkulec, President of the Chess Federation of Canada, publicly compared someone to a person with autism as a form of insult on the chesstalk message board, and continues to repeatedly use public forums to insult and attack the character of persons;

Be it resolved that this behavior is not acceptable of the person representing the public face of the Chess Federation of Canada, and that the President should post a public apology for his actions, or step down from the Office of President of the Chess Federation of Canada.

Garland Best

Blog Entries

As with any organization whether non-profit like the CFC or for profit, stories get told about the organization. Often these stories have no basis in reality like most of the stories that trolls try to peddle. Fortunately stories that have no basis in reality are easy enough to counteract IF you are willing to challenge them. If you do not challenge them then they are accepted as fact by the great majority of sleepy people who are not inclined to think deeply on such things. Challenging lies causes them to collapse upon themselves as there is seldom a sufficient framework to support these lies. The trolls usually don't have much staying power or even the basic grasp of logical argument. These sad individuals dry up and are blown away by a steady wind of truth. My job as CFC president is not to protect the sensitive feelings of lonely trolls who sit on the sidelines pondering novel ways to annoy those who are intent on doing.

My philosophy with regard to engaging with trolls is to challenge them head on. I want to make it an unpleasant experience for them. In actual fact, I tend to dial back on my posts because there is usually no need to treat them with the rich contempt which they actually deserve. In any forum where they can gain traction it is important to challenge them and show that you dissent with regard to their unique and often delusional interpretation of the truth. It would be best if we did not pretend that these people are worthy of humouring. They are destructive, lying and thoughtless human beings who try to increase their importance in people's minds by criticising those that do and pretending that they could somehow do better when the truth is that they are barely capable of functioning or even finding a place in the world with their greatest challenge being getting out of bed each day and facing the pain that inevitably arises out of their interactions with a cold and indifferent world.

Impeaching a president is not a small matter. We don't really have a procedure for it. It should not even be thought about because you disagree with the analogies that he uses or believe that you should be the arbiter of what he can say and discuss.

Chesstalk has changed ownership and has come out strongly against trolls who seem to have largely disappeared as a result (and good riddance to them).

I am not much inclined to apologize to Neil Frarey or any of the other chesstalk trolls. I certainly don't miss them since they have disappeared. Hopefully they have managed to find themselves a life which leaves them too busy to bother us.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 05-26-2018 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    As with any organization whether non-profit like the CFC or for profit, stories get told about the organization. Often these stories have no basis in reality like most of the stories that trolls try to peddle. Fortunately stories that have no basis in reality are easy enough to counteract IF you are willing to challenge them. If you do not challenge them then they are accepted as fact by the great majority of sleepy people who are not inclined to think deeply on such things. Challenging lies causes them to collapse upon themselves as there is seldom a sufficient framework to support these lies. The trolls usually don't have much staying power or even the basic grasp of logical argument. These sad individuals dry up and are blown away by a steady wind of truth. My job as CFC president is not to protect the sensitive feelings of lonely trolls who sit on the sidelines pondering novel ways to annoy those who are intent on doing.

My philosophy with regard to engaging with trolls is to challenge them head on. I want to make it an unpleasant experience for them. In actual fact, I tend to dial back on my posts because there is usually no need to treat them with the rich contempt which they actually deserve. In any forum where they can gain traction it is important to challenge them and show that you dissent with regard to their unique and often delusional interpretation of the truth. It would be best if we did not pretend that these people are worthy of humouring. They are destructive, lying and thoughtless human beings who try to increase their importance in people's minds by criticising those that do and pretending that they could somehow do better when the truth is that they are barely capable of functioning or even finding a place in the world with their greatest challenge being getting out of bed each day and facing the pain that inevitably arises out of their interactions with a cold and indifferent world.

Impeaching a president is not a small matter. We don't really have a procedure for it. It should not even be thought about because you disagree with the analogies that he uses or believe that you should be the arbiter of what he can say and discuss.

Chesstalk has changed ownership and has come out strongly against trolls who seem to have largely disappeared as a result (and good riddance to them).

I am not much inclined to apologize to Neil Frarey or any of the other chesstalk trolls. I certainly don't miss them since they have disappeared. Hopefully they have managed to find themselves a life which leaves them too busy to bother us.
    EXACTLY Vlad --- No APOLOGY is required.

Very happy to see ChessTalk trolls shut down.

You have a done a good job at that. Carry on.

Mark S. Dutton, I.A., I.O.,
    CFC Past President

This accusation is frivolous and undeserving of our attention.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    This accusation is frivolous and undeserving of our attention.
    I agree! Onward.

Blog Entries

I think Garland was upset by my relating an incident I observed in my doctors office almost forty years ago. The exchange in question is as follows:

The thread was titled The decline of Canadian Chess.

https://forum.chesstalk.com/showthre...=Frarey+autism

Neil Frarey: Chess Federation of Canada must become data driven.

Kevin Pacey: What likely benefits might you see if that happens, Neil?

Vlad Drkulec: Neil strikes me as someone who reads the buzzwords of the day and has to regurgitate them like the autistic young man repeated the baseball sports broadcast in my doctor's waiting room some thirty years ago in an almost perfect recreation of the original. Neil's version is not quite so impressive or memorable. POST 174 November 22, 2017.

Neil Frarey: Did you just manipulate a young man inflicted with autism???

You didn't just do that ...did you Drkulec?

To the other Executive members of the Chess Federation of Canada who have a good conscious ...remove Vlad Drkulec from your Executive.

Vlad Drkulec: The term is "good conscience" not "good conscious". Trying to use words you don't understand leads to malapropisms which make you appear comical and not intelligent. I did not "manipulate a youth man with autism" but related an incident from my past where a young man repeated a sports broadcast perfectly like other people might make a photocopy of a page of text. It was a moment of wonder which contrary to your usual practice showed that there is far more magic in the world than is dreamed of in your philosophy (Horatio).

A nod to Shakespeare's play Hamlet.

Neil Frarey: And yet even though you clearly understood my meaning (and thanks for the correction) ... you continue to manipulate those who are inflicted with autism by comparing those folks to ...me, and me ...to those folks!

Vlad Drkulec: Neil, Neil, Neil, Neil. For all your posturing you completely missed the boat. You show that you and the other trolls of chesstalk are brothers in levels of intellectual attainment, reasoning and debate tactics. There is nothing disrespectful to that wondrous individual who is probably now in his fifties. He is a shining example of what the human mind is capable of. Yours not so much. You are the pointy haired boss of chess talk, spouting phrases like magical incantations without understanding them.

A nod to Scott Adams cartoon Dilbert.

Neil Frarey: Instead ...you chose not to debate Kevin's question to me about the benefits of mining data.

Vladimir Drkulec:

"THE POWER OF THEMASWOT
    NF
    New Life Foundation

Vernon Howard's
    SECRETS OF LIFE (R)

"THE POWER OF THEMASWOT

How many times have you found yourself involved with a person or
    event only to later regret it? This exercise keeps you out of
    trouble in the first place.

The whole idea is for you to be on guard against invitations and
    suggestions that look like fun at first but which turn out to be
    painful traps. A person will get you involved in something, then
    suddenly lose interest in it, leaving you with the responsibilities
    and even the debts. Such a person is a hit-and-run artist.

Employ the power of Themaswot. This special word was created to
    help you recognize a trap when meeting one.

Themaswot means, 'Themaswot makes the suggestions are the ones who
    must do the work, make the decisions and pay the money.' Let this
    be your attitude toward deceptive people. Stay away from their
    lures. Do not let them unload their follies onto you. Let their
    problems remain their problems. The person who causes grief is
    the person who must suffer from it and correct it. This is a
    Law of Life.

These sly invitations are far more numerous and dangerous than
    you may now see. Become aware of them; then let Themaswot keep
    you safe."

Practical Exercises for Inner Harmony, # 4

Neil Frarey: Rather ...you manipulated a young man inflicted with autism.

Vlad Drkulec: So that remarkable young man of those many decades ago has achieved the status of "He who shall not be mentioned or named" in your philosophy?

Neil Frarey: Please do the right thing Drkulec ...simply resign.

Vlad Drkulec: It probably is the right thing from my self interest point of view though I am no quitter. Just because I resign doesn't mean that the voting members would be silly enough to elect you. Necessity would raise up a hero to save the CFC from the looming abyss represented by you or one of your stand ins.

Neil Frarey: And if not ...then I hope those on the Executive with "good conscience" will force you out.

Vlad Drkulec: They can't, at least not easily. It would have to be unanimous (to remove a president who would continue to serve on the board as a regular board member) and would have to be ratified by the voting members. Of course the voting members could remove me very simply with a simple majority of the votes cast at the next AGM. If any one of the members of the current board wanted to be president, I would probably support them at the next AGM. There are even some voting members or non-voting members who I would support. Its unlikely that any of them are interested in the position.

It goes on and on and on and on but that is the gist of the exchange that Garland is objecting to.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 05-28-2018 at 01:00 AM.

I think Neil exercised poor reading miscomprehension with regards to your initial story. For some bizzaro reason, being an unpaid volunteer president of the CFC tends to attract more then your fair share of trolls. Trolls need sunlight so they can be turned to stone.

I am a strong proponent of free speech and will vote against this motion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Gordon View Post
    I think Neil exercised poor reading miscomprehension with regards to your initial story. For some bizzaro reason, being an unpaid volunteer president of the CFC tends to attract more then your fair share of trolls. Trolls need sunlight so they can be turned to stone.

I am a strong proponent of free speech and will vote against this motion
    It is simply a discussion at this point. I don't recall signing any contract that said I had to simply sit there and take whatever the trolls want to dish out. My behaviour has been consistent as president in that I do not allow the trolls any quarter. I never have and I never will. I personally believe based on my understanding of the social sciences that this is the right policy.

Blog Entries

Thank you for your remarks, all of you. We should not make it easy for people to make hit and run attacks on the CFC or its officers. We do not need to be data driven when I can pick up a phone and call people across Canada to find out what is going on in every corner of the CFC and Canada. Numbers do not drive any of our efforts because we are too small for it to be worthwhile. Anyway, unless something changes I am not going to put much more energy into this thread. There doesn't seem to be a consensus of outrage and on the contrary the consensus seems to be in the opposite direction so far.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 05-31-2018 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    ... I am not going to put much more energy into this thread. There doesn't seem to be a consensus of outrage and on the contrary the consensus seems to be in the opposite direction so far.
    Exactly, it is a waste of time and no point even in responding to it. Let's move on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast