Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 5.E Discussion Item with regard to youth membership, YCC and youth rating fees

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    I don't think it's been suggested that the Youth Committee should have power to set fees and I for one would oppose that. I'd be happy to listen to their recommendations and take their input very seriously but the national Executive and the Assembly are the CFC's legislative bodies (for different issues).
    You're right, Lyle - it's never been suggested that the Youth Committee should have power to set fees.
    Youth Committee should discuss all matters related to youth chess in Canada and prepare Motions and recommendations for the national Executive and the Assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    I would DEFINITELY welcome a list of major national and international youth events linked to the top of the CFC home page. I really like what the USCF (uschess.org) does with their 'announcements' block though I would prefer ours higher on the page than that.

Their current announcement block covers
    US Chess Transgender Policy »
    US Chess Announces World Cadet Qualifiers [UPDATED] »
    World Youth Qualifiers Announced [UPDATED] »
    2018 Pan-American Junior, June 19-24 in Ecuador »

which I think is what Michael is talking about.
    In fact, I was talking about Youth Coordinator Report.
    Sorry, if I missed it.
    The Assembly needs to know:
    What's going on in Canadian youth chess?

In particular, the registration for 2018 Pan-American Junior, June 19-24 in Ecuador should be closed by this time.
    Who will represent Canada there?
    How players were selected?
    We already discussed such issues previously, and decided that it should be a transparent process.
    Unfortunately, the lack of information - still is the main problem of Canadian youth chess.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    It would require a constitutional amendment meaning a two thirds majority. I am not sure why the government changed the law but it would also mean that we are passing something which contradicts the NFP act. One of the duties of the directors is to make sure that we do nothing which contravenes the act. I need to read the act again to familiarize myself with the changes that have happened in 2018.

I don't think that membership fees should go up except in lockstep with inflation though I would be okay (after consulting with a number of parents who voiced no objections) with some increase in youth membership fees and rating fees. It makes sense that the directors who are required to manage the financial situation have control of the levers of that financial situation.
    I have only found this in the NFP Act.

Quote Originally Posted by NFP Act
    Conditions of membership

154 (1) The by-laws shall set out the conditions required for being a member of the corporation, including whether a corporation or other entity may be a member.
    Member approval
    The conditions includes the fee. Contrary to the Article of Incorporation, by default, the By-Laws requires only a simple majority unless I missed something.

Blog Entries

If the conditions included the fees then there would not be the separate clause in the NFP act which I cited previously assigning the ability to set membership fees to the directors.

The bylaws do not set out the fees and it would be ludicrous to make the fees part of the bylaws because that would mean that every time we wanted to change them we would have to remit a significant fee to the government to do so.

As you wrote

Annual contributions or dues
    30 Subject to the articles, the by-laws and any unanimous member agreement, the directors may require members to make an annual contribution or pay annual dues and may determine the manner in which the contribution is to be made or the dues are to be paid.

The power of the Directors is subject to the Articles of Incorporation (filed in Ottawa and costly to change) and to the By-Laws which are not approved by Ottawa and free to change.

I have to disagree with my friend Patrick. Cost increases can be passed on to the customer in the entry fee.

In general, I believe the youth portfolio is growing and kids have many more international options than ever. The youth fees are a bargain and we should not be shy (thank you Les) about increasing the revenues where we can because the requests for funding are constantly increasing. The YCC fees are lower than the CMA Chess Challenge Provincials.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    I have to disagree with my friend Patrick. Cost increases can be passed on to the customer in the entry fee.

In general, I believe the youth portfolio is growing and kids have many more international options than ever. The youth fees are a bargain and we should not be shy (thank you Les) about increasing the revenues where we can because the requests for funding are constantly increasing. The YCC fees are lower than the CMA Chess Challenge Provincials.
    Another perhaps interesting cost comparison: today, in Montreal, Chess'n'Math (CMA) is running a CYCC Qualifier, for this year's CYCC, which is in the same province.

The onsite registration fee is $75.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    You're right, Lyle - it's never been suggested that the Youth Committee should have power to set fees.
    Youth Committee should discuss all matters related to youth chess in Canada and prepare Motions and recommendations for the national Executive and the Assembly.
    Again they cannot prepare motions unless someone in the Executive (ie the president) is remiss in their duties.

In fact, I was talking about Youth Coordinator Report.
    Sorry, if I missed it.
    The Assembly needs to know:
    What's going on in Canadian youth chess?

In particular, the registration for 2018 Pan-American Junior, June 19-24 in Ecuador should be closed by this time.
    Quite a bit is going on in Canadian youth chess. With regard to the Pan-Am junior registration, it was closed some time ago. I believe our deadline was May 1st. There was some interest by one individual to register after the deadline but it turned out that the flight tickets had become too expensive on short notice.

Who will represent Canada there?
    How players were selected?
    http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...ction-Criteria

We already discussed such issues previously, and decided that it should be a transparent process.
    Unfortunately, the lack of information - still is the main problem of Canadian youth chess.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 06-03-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Thank you, Vladimir, for your response!

Again they cannot prepare motions unless someone in the Executive (ie the president) is remiss in their duties.
    If Saskatchewan Association can prepare motions, why CFC Youth Committee can't?
    Could you please clarify:
    who could prepare motions?

Quite a bit is going on in Canadian youth chess. With regard to the Pan-Am junior registration, it was closed some time ago. I believe our deadline was May 1st. There was some interest by one individual to register after the deadline but it turned out that the flight tickets had become too expensive on short notice.

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...ction-Criteria
    This link is for April's post with announcement of upcoming PanAm 2018 in Santiago Chile between July 21st-July 29th.
    It's not the same event as mentioned in this thread 2018 Pan-American Junior, June 19-24 in Ecuador, right?

Anyways, where can we see a list of selected Canadian players for both events?
    And Youth Coordinator Report?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

I am not aware of any selected players for the 2018 Pan Am Junior. Fide America has a habit of not publicizing events until the last minute. I will let our youth coordinator announce the team for Pan Am Youth Festival.

The Saskatchewan motion was drafted by voting member from Saskatchewan Tom Boshoff and posted by myself. I disagreed with portions of the motion but not enough to decline to post it to the meeting.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 06-03-2018 at 08:31 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234