Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5.E Discussion Item with regard to youth membership, YCC and youth rating fees

I have the following questions:

1) How much are the estimated increase in revenue for each category of the proposed increase fees:
    a) Jr. membership fees,
    b) Jr. Rating fees,
    c) YCC qualifiers fees.

2) Undriadi stated in the proposal that "With the extra money we can do more things." Can we have a more detail elaboration on what kind of "more things" and the estimated cost of doing those "more things".

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    The CFC office is under-staffed. I think everyone agrees with that.
    Do we have plan to hire more staff(s) for the CFC office. If yes, what is plan and the estimated cost?

If CFC is in need for more revenue (awaiting for the financial report), why all the proposed increase revenue comes from the juniors?

Michael

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    I have the following questions:

1) How much are the estimated increase in revenue for each category of the proposed increase fees:
    a) Jr. membership fees,
    b) Jr. Rating fees,
    c) YCC qualifiers fees.

2) Undriadi stated in the proposal that "With the extra money we can do more things." Can we have a more detail elaboration on what kind of "more things" and the estimated cost of doing those "more things".

Do we have plan to hire more staff(s) for the CFC office. If yes, what is plan and the estimated cost?

If CFC is in need for more revenue (awaiting for the financial report), why all the proposed increase revenue comes from the juniors?

Michael

If we go with the gomembership website/payment system/membership application our costs will go up though it will mean that if we continue to grow we will be able to avoid hiring more staff. For the most part juniors do not have to pay for memberships unless they play with adults or in national championships or international competitions where they represent the CFC.

Any increases in YCC fees would go directly back into youth chess as far as I'm concerned. I don't think $5 is necessary but I think an increase to $2.00 plus a $1.00 rating fee might be in order. I am not the one advocating for the increase. I am undecided on the necessity particularly if we can keep growing our numbers.

I thought we have discussed increasing membership fees and rating fees in the Youth Committee forum.
    We can revisit that again.
    I was not aware about the three weeks notice.

Some of CFC Executives and VM concern about increasing Jr membership fees $1/per month might impact participants.
    Look at how much money parents spend on activities for their kids. They will not even feel the increase. The extra money in Youth Funds can be used to support many other youth events. More money more choices.

Hopefully we can discuss this further in YouthCommittee forum and submit it on time for AGM.

Thanks,

Undriadi Benggawan

I am worried about the increase in the annual fee for juniors will negatively affect children from low socio-economic backgrounds. Not all parents are affluent. I will not support a motion that would charge junior and adult members the same annual fee.

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...imated-Revenue

Quote Originally Posted by Undriadi Benggawan View Post
    I thought we have discussed increasing membership fees and rating fees in the Youth Committee forum.
    We can revisit that again.
    I was not aware about the three weeks notice.

Some of CFC Executives and VM concern about increasing Jr membership fees $1/per month might impact participants.
    Look at how much money parents spend on activities for their kids. They will not even feel the increase. The extra money in Youth Funds can be used to support many other youth events. More money more choices.

Hopefully we can discuss this further in YouthCommittee forum and submit it on time for AGM.

Thanks,

Undriadi Benggawan
    There was an extensive discussion on this topic in the Youth Committee in this thread - http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...imated-Revenue. The discussion was mainly on how to increase revenue to the Junior Fund to support junior events (at least that is my feeling). Increasing all aspect of junior fees and almost all extra revenue goes to the regular fund totally deviate from the discussion in the Youth Committee. We definitely need to discuss this again in the Youth Committee.

Blog Entries

It appears that based on the changes in the NFP act the board of directors set membership fees. I know for a fact that it used to be the job of the voting members. The youth committee cannot set fees and I don't think that membership fees should go to the youth fund. There should be some reduction in youth fees versus adult fees to take into account the fact that some people can't afford to pay increased fees. I also don't think that any fees associated with WYCC/WCCC/CYCC should go anywhere but the youth fund. The financials look healthy so I am not sure that we really need any big increase in fees though it might be prudent to put in an escalator for inflation. We are still discussing what the reserve should be in 2017 - 2018 for the Olympiad. I think the consensus is at least $10k to 12k.

Undriadi,
    Could you please inform Voting Members about coming International Youth events and selection procedure for these events?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

I don't think it's been suggested that the Youth Committee should have power to set fees and I for one would oppose that. I'd be happy to listen to their recommendations and take their input very seriously but the national Executive and the Assembly are the CFC's legislative bodies (for different issues).

I agree with Vlad that WYCC/CYCC funds should stay with that program.

I would DEFINITELY welcome a list of major national and international youth events linked to the top of the CFC home page. I really like what the USCF (uschess.org) does with their 'announcements' block though I would prefer ours higher on the page than that.

Their current announcement block covers
    US Chess Transgender Policy »
    US Chess Announces World Cadet Qualifiers [UPDATED] »
    World Youth Qualifiers Announced [UPDATED] »
    2018 Pan-American Junior, June 19-24 in Ecuador »

which I think is what Michael is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    It appears that based on the changes in the NFP act the board of directors set membership fees. I know for a fact that it used to be the job of the voting members. The youth committee cannot set fees and I don't think that membership fees should go to the youth fund. There should be some reduction in youth fees versus adult fees to take into account the fact that some people can't afford to pay increased fees. I also don't think that any fees associated with WYCC/WCCC/CYCC should go anywhere but the youth fund. The financials look healthy so I am not sure that we really need any big increase in fees though it might be prudent to put in an escalator for inflation. We are still discussing what the reserve should be in 2017 - 2018 for the Olympiad. I think the consensus is at least $10k to 12k.
    We could move a motion at the next AGM to transfer that back the Voting Members.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    We could move a motion at the next AGM to transfer that back the Voting Members.
    It would require a constitutional amendment meaning a two thirds majority. I am not sure why the government changed the law but it would also mean that we are passing something which contradicts the NFP act. One of the duties of the directors is to make sure that we do nothing which contravenes the act. I need to read the act again to familiarize myself with the changes that have happened in 2018.

I don't think that membership fees should go up except in lockstep with inflation though I would be okay (after consulting with a number of parents who voiced no objections) with some increase in youth membership fees and rating fees. It makes sense that the directors who are required to manage the financial situation have control of the levers of that financial situation.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast