Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.E Discussion Item with regard to youth membership, YCC and youth rating fees

Blog Entries

Default 5.E Discussion Item with regard to youth membership, YCC and youth rating fees

The following motion was received after the deadline for including motions and providing the requisite notice. It can be taken up for discussion at the Spring meeting and depending on the results of discussion may be taken up at the AGM in August.
    I like to submit motions to increase our revenues as follows:

Increase Jr. membership fees to match adult membership fees.
    Increase Jt. Rating fees from $0.50 to $1.00
    Increase YCC qualifiers fees to $5 per player, and $2 of this go to general revenues

I believe the chess parents will not object to increasing membership fees $1 a month. It is insignificant relative to the cost of educating their kid for lessons and other activities.
    With the extra money we can do more things.

See the stats:

http://chess.ca/membership-stats

Jr Members are almost as many as adult members in total.
    We have more paying Junior members in Ontario than adult members. 555 vs 486
    We put more effort in organizing the juniors.

Best Regards,

Undriadi Benggawan
    CFC Junior Coordinator
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 05-26-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Blog Entries

In general, I do not believe that any fees collected for YCC's should go to general funds. It should all go to the youth fund.

There are two schools of thought with regard to non-profit membership fees. To this point in my administration we have adhered to the idea that we try to avoid raising membership fees. It is possible then that we might at some point hit hard times and have to precipitously increase fees simply to survive. We are not anywhere near that point at the moment. In fact our numbers are up. I am expecting a healthy surplus even with the expense of paying for the Olympiad though that belief is based on my reading of the increase in the number of members and the fact that we are not really doing much differently than last year.

The alternative view of non-profit fees is that we should increase them to match inflation and thus avoid a future financial squeeze in the event that the economy or circumstances move against us in some way.

My suggestion is that there probably should be some differential between youth and adult fees as most organizations do maintain such a differential.

I talked to parents at OYCC. Most did not view raising membership fees with any alarm. Many of them compared the cost of fees and memberships for chess favourably when compared to other activities that their children were involved in. Note that it is possible to attend OYCC and not pay any membership fees at all. Players that only play in youth tournaments and do not play against adults or in national championships are not required to have a CFC membership.

I did get some pushback from Patrick McDonald with regard to raising YCC fees as these do affect the bottom line of organizers who are volunteers and most of whom would simply absorb the additional fees and feel a bit annoyed about it.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 05-26-2018 at 07:02 PM.

We recruit a lot of new junior CFC members out here in BC and probably everywhere else too.
    I feel that the lower cost for annual and tournament memberships helps us get kids into chess and I'd like to see the discount maintained.
    The junior rating fee is another matter. Rating all-junior events for 50 cents a player makes no sense. Given the labour involved, the CFC probably loses money by doing this.
    My sense is that there would be no resistance to raising the rating fees because they are covered by entry fees and my experience is that entry fees are of less concern to players than membership costs, also easier to collect.
    Why should we be selling a $3 service, for which there is great demand, for 50 cents? Make it $3 for everyone.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

In general, I am FOR equalization in all costs, that there be no age-ism. At the same time, I do see some merit in the position to vector youth revenue towards youth.

I don't believe we need to change everything at once. Maybe an initial step is in order.

Blog Entries

Rating fees and YCC fees we probably could change unilaterally as I noticed that there was some provision for that in the original handbook motions. I'm not sure I want to do anything too radical.

Membership fees are at the discretion of the voting members. This would have been a motion at the meeting if it had been submitted in time to give the required three weeks notice.

Juniors pay the same $3 rating fee for Open tournaments. The discount rating fee of $0.5 only applies to tournaments with only juniros. CMA also charges $0.5 rating fee. An increase in juniors only tournaments rating fee may cause a substantial shift of junior tournaments using CMA rating.

I agree with Vlad that YCC qualifiers fees should go to the the Youth fund, not to the General fund.

I agree with Paul that we should maintain a discount on junior membership fee, but do not see an small increase in the junior membership fee conflicts with maintaining a junior membership discount. We have about 800 junior memberships, a $5 increase will generate $4000. My only concern is that the increase amount should go to the Youth fund to support junior activities.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    Juniors pay the same $3 rating fee for Open tournaments. The discount rating fee of $0.5 only applies to tournaments with only juniros. CMA also charges $0.5 rating fee. An increase in juniors only tournaments rating fee may cause a substantial shift of junior tournaments using CMA rating.

I agree with Vlad that YCC qualifiers fees should go to the the Youth fund, not to the General fund.

I agree with Paul that we should maintain a discount on junior membership fee, but do not see an small increase in the junior membership fee conflicts with maintaining a junior membership discount. We have about 800 junior memberships, a $5 increase will generate $4000. My only concern is that the increase amount should go to the Youth fund to support junior activities.
    It would be wrong to place membership fees in the youth fund in the same manner that it would be wrong to place YCC funds in general revenues. There are costs associated with memberships. If junior memberships increase then those fees should go to general revenues. Currently Bob has to spend much time on inputting junior tournaments which tend to be formatted incorrectly or have lots of new players who have to be assigned membership numbers even though strictly speaking they are not becoming members.

A few key points:

(1) the original purpose of the regional YCCs was to raise funds for the provincial YCCs with the provincial fees a fundraiser to send provincial reps to the CYCC. This was particularly so for BC, AB and SK whose travel costs are normally the highest in the country. I thought the original concept was sound. I have >NEVER< liked the idea of parents being able to pay their kids' way into CYCC and WYCC for spots they did not win over the board.

(2) over the last 10-15 years we've had a huge increase in expectations by players and families for the junior program. 40 years ago BC's junior program was $50 / year most of which went for postage and mimeographs of tournament ads. Unless you won a provincial junior the farthest we ever travelled was Vancouver -> Victoria or possibly Seattle. Out of that program came Jonathan Berry, Peter Biyiasas, Bruce Harper, Nigel Fullbrook, Robert Chow plus most of Vancouver's experts currently 50-60 years old. And also me who though never more than a marginal class A / B player worked mostly as a TD and organizer. I'm not saying shoestring budgets are necessarily more successful but expectations have definitely changed.

(3) I've always supported 'concession rates' for the kids though do think 50 cent rating fees are unreasonable PARTICULARLY given the negligence of many TDs in collecting full information on their junior registrants in junior events which I believe causes the Office more work than their adult counterparts. This was especially true when the CFC was in the books and equipment business since the whole point of these discounts was to facilitate CFC marketing.

In short I support
    - YCC funds going to the CYCC program; I do NOT support non-winners going to the next stage
    - strict enforcement that NO ONE play in a qualifying event when they wouldn't be eligible for the next stage in the cycle
    - continuing junior membership fees

I do NOT support
    - maintaining the 50 cent fee for all junior tournaments; $3 / player is probably too high but 50 cents is too low

Blog Entries

I believe that YCC fees can be increased without involving voting members other that in an advisory manner. If the majority think it is a bad idea then we shouldn't do it. Rating fees likewise should be the purview of the executive. I think increasing the rating fee to $1 for regular rated junior events would probably not represent much of a hardship and would not disadvantage us vis a vis the CMA who are also looking to raise rating fees slightly. I believe it is 0.75 per player in non-qualifier type tournaments.

Thank you, Undriadi, for thinking about improving junior chess in Canada!

Unfortunately, these Motions are not ready for this Meeting.
    Such matters should be discussed by the Youth Committee first, and after discussion and amendments, if necessary, could be brought to the Voting Members Meeting.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast