Thread: 5.D CFC Handbook

Blog Entries

Default 5.D CFC Handbook

CFC Secretary Lyle Craver has proposed a project to start moving this along. I have agreed to serve on this committee. I will let Lyle explain what he is proposing.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 05-26-2018 at 09:55 PM.

The CFC Handbook is our collection of (1) our constitution, (2) collected motions since the last Handbook revision and (3) documents NOT involving the governance of the CFC but still highly useful. Examples would be how to run a chess tournament, regulations on the rating system, regulations for the Canadian championship and so forth.

It is absolutely NOT intended to change the rules and regulations of the CFC.

While it is possible some of our recommendations could lead to motions that DO change our rules and regs, this is seen primarily as modernizing a whole series of 'housekeeping changes' which we should have been doing all along. We intend to make it more obvious to all which are the main governing documents, regulations for specific tasks (ratings, national events) and which are of either topical ("So you want to run a chess tournament") or historical interest.

For instance there are numerous references in the CFC Handbook to "Voting Members", "Class A Voting Members", "Governors", "CFC Governors" all of which refer to the same position in the CFC.

Similarly there are a few items that most of us understand what they mean but might bring the "new" (2014 if memory serves) Not For Profit legislation into possible conflict.

Before completing the revision of the Handbook (which previously has been done on average about once a decade) we intend to bring the document forward for VM ratification in sections probably in the first quarter of 2019.

I am hoping to assemble a committee and to begin work on this task as soon as possible after the AGM.

I believe that we should also rescind all previous versions of the Handbook and related motions in case we forget to include some old motions.

I expect that many motions, such as the CFC Tournament Rules which are no longer found on our site and the CFC Ethic Committee motion will not make it to the new Handbook.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    I believe that we should also rescind all previous versions of the Handbook and related motions in case we forget to include some old motions.

I expect that many motions, such as the CFC Tournament Rules which are no longer found on our site and the CFC Ethic Committee motion will not make it to the new Handbook.
    Technically we have already rescinded the previous handbook right there in the articles of continuation which allowed us to continue to operate as a non-profit corporation in Canada.

http://chess.ca/handbook

Special Resolution of Members

Continuing the Corporation under the provisions of the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act and authorizing the directors to apply for a Certificate of Continuance.

WHEREAS the Corporation was incorporated under Part II of the Canada Corporations Act by Letters Patent dated the 20th of September, 1976; and

WHEREAS it is considered to be in the best interests of the Corporation that it be continued under the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act (NFP Act) pursuant to section 297 of the NFP Act;

BE IT RESOLVED AS A SPECIAL RESOLUTION THAT:

The directors of the Corporation are authorized and directed to make an application under section 297 of the NFP Act to the Director appointed under the NFP Act for a Certificate of Continuance of the Corporation;

The Articles of Continuance (transition) of the Corporation, which have been submitted to this meeting and are annexed to these minutes as Schedule A, are approved;

The general operating by-law of the Corporation (as amended) is repealed effective on the date that the corporation continues under the NFP Act and the new general operating by-law No.1 which has been submitted to this meeting and is annexed to these minutes as Schedule B is approved and will be effective on the same date.