Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5.C Developments and Directions In Canadian Chess

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    For anyone interested in TD/arbiter education, Hal Bond will be leading a FIDE Arbiters Seminar in Guelph on August 10th-12th. The details may already be posted somewhere.
    It is nice to know and I may even want to assist as an observer because I run the provincial program in Quebec. Actually, we need more LTD then FA in most places. Before being an FA, yous should begin somewhere. In my case, it was my High School chess club. My first serious assignment has been the Quebec Amateur Class Championship as a Deputy Arbiter.

Yup - I did my first at age 14 having been badgered into it by Jonathan Berry who at 15 was already an experienced director and member of my home club. That first tournament was horrible as it was well run but too long to engage most of the players. (12 rounds?!?)

This was long before he went to the Business Office. Directed a bunch of club tournaments at the Scarborough Chess Club and in Winnipeg before returning home to Vancouver in '91 which is where most of my events were done.

You have to have the right mindset to be a good TD and imagining others in the role ("succession planning") is always part of the role.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12