Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CFC site down?

Default CFC site down?

Is CFC site down?

Thanks Michael. Looking into it.

Blog Entries

Default watch out for malware.

My anti-virus software caught some nasty here today and stopped it. I didn't note the name of the malware but I will note it if it comes up again. Be warned.

Could you implemented a better protection for the CFC website? Again it is infused with a nasty stuff.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Default suggestion only

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Could you implemented a better protection for the CFC website? Again it is infused with a nasty stuff.
    I'm not responsible for that sort of maintenance here but it might be helpful if you are able to identify: (a) the name of the malware if your anti-virus software was able to identify it; (b) when this happened, i.e., when you initially visited the website, or while you were logged on to the Discussion Board and/or the CFC site; (c) any other info that might be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
    I'm not responsible for that sort of maintenance here but it might be helpful if you are able to identify: (a) the name of the malware if your anti-virus software was able to identify it; (b) when this happened, i.e., when you initially visited the website, or while you were logged on to the Discussion Board and/or the CFC site; (c) any other info that might be helpful.
    Last night went to chess.ca and it started to spit out all kind of screams that I should contact M$ for help.

Preparing for the tournament requires quite often to visit chess.ca to check a players' status. Also we send players/parents to renew or get CFC memberships.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Default ugh

My anti-virus software caught something again today. I googled the CFC and went to the link; one window opened this discussion board and I got a warning from my anti-virus about another window opening that was blocked. Didn't get the name of it - sorry.

I'm no expert but it seems like this site has been hacked. Or maybe I'm just on a deep state watch list.

Public Service Announcement:

ChessTalk appears to be infected by a new generation of cryptocurrency mining malware yet again. Same symptoms as on March 17: opening a browser tab on any page of that discussion board leads to a software thread being launched that would commence the mining and show an abnormally high CPU usage (see a screenshot). This continues even after user shifts the focus. The thread needs to be killed altogether in order to return the device to normal CPU utilization levels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CT-Infected.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	342

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
    Public Service Announcement:

ChessTalk appears to be infected by a new generation of cryptocurrency mining malware yet again. Same symptoms as on March 17: opening a browser tab on any page of that discussion board leads to a software thread being launched that would commence the mining and show an abnormally high CPU usage (see a screenshot). This continues even after user shifts the focus. The thread needs to be killed altogether in order to return the device to normal CPU utilization levels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CT-Infected.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	342
    Thank you Vadim. I heavily defend my laptop, and I just don't go to that board anymore. I just don't need even the potential aggravation of being slowed down, infected, etc.

Anyway, thank you for your detailed post.

I wholly agree with you, Aris. There is no reason to go to ChessTalk when the site physically threatens our hardware and has a non-transparent ownership structure and user policies.

Yet another datapoint:
    Between April 22 and 23, the new (old?) owner of the malfunctioning ChessTalk board removed several threads in the English and French sections that were entitled "CFC Tournaments", "The Canadian Youth Chess Championships 2018", "The Canadian Open 2018" and such. I happened to be the OP for one of them; others were started by people from Ontario (John Brown?).
    Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; 04-23-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast