Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.4 New Business

Default 5.4 New Business

Any other items members wish to be brought forward can be posted here

Default World Team Championship 50+, 65+ 2018

Canada is invited to participate at World Team Championship 50+, 65+ 2018 - please see:
    http://www.schachfestival.de/images/...ations_ENG.pdf

Are we going to send a team?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Canada has a team when individuals put a team together of their own initiative. The CFC has no budget for this event so we do not get involved in team selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    Canada has a team when individuals put a team together of their own initiative. The CFC has no budget for this event so we do not get involved in team selection.
    Thank you, Hal, for clarification!

We had a preliminary talk between individuals who's willing to put a team together.

So far a possible Canadian team looks like:
    David Cummings
    Victor Plotkin
    Michael Barron
    Yury Ochkoos

It's good to know that Executives are supportive for this initiative.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Raise CFC Membership Fees

When was the last time CFC membership fees increased?

At least increase it for the Juniors. Chess parents willing to pay $60/hour lesson. They will not object much of annual increase of say $24. That's a cup of coffee/month.

CFC need to generate revenues.

Quote Originally Posted by Undriadi Benggawan View Post
    Raise CFC Membership Fees

When was the last time CFC membership fees increased?

At least increase it for the Juniors. Chess parents willing to pay $60/hour lesson. They will not object much of annual increase of say $24. That's a cup of coffee/month.

CFC need to generate revenues.
    I support the idea of raising annual CFC fees for Juniors. Compared to any other activity that I know of that requires national affiliation, they are comparably very low. In addition, from what I understand, a disproportionate amount of volunteer/Executive/committee efforts are regarding Juniors. But I'm open to being corrected if I'm mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I support the idea of raising annual CFC fees for Juniors. Compared to any other activity that I know of that requires national affiliation, they are comparably very low. In addition, from what I understand, a disproportionate amount of volunteer/Executive/committee efforts are regarding Juniors. But I'm open to being corrected if I'm mistaken.
    CFC membership dues are comprised of 3 components: the CFC share, provincial dues, and taxes (GST/HST)
    Provincial affiliates decide their dues, and tax rates differ across Canada.
    The CFC share is Adults $36 / year, Juniors $24 / year.
    Thus, to equalize the adult and junior rates at the CFC level, increase junior memberships by $12/year.
    For me, that's about 8 coffees /year ( Tim's small regular, just in case anyone wants to buy me a coffee!)
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; 12-14-2017 at 08:03 PM.

Blog Entries

i am not in favour of any increase in CFC dues unless someone gives me a good rationale for it and explains what we will do with the money. It appears that we are headed for a record year revenue wise. Doing something with youth dues seems less unreasonable but I wouldn't look at any large increases anywhere. Lets increase the numbers and we can make do with the current fee structure.

CFC record year revenue is good.
    Wouldn't it be nice if we have more money to support Youth team to international tournaments.

Good coaches will want to be paid more than $500 to spend 2 weeks travelling with the team.

What is wrong to have more money in the bank?

Quote Originally Posted by Undriadi Benggawan View Post
    CFC record year revenue is good.
    Wouldn't it be nice if we have more money to support Youth team to international tournaments.

Good coaches will want to be paid more than $500 to spend 2 weeks travelling with the team.

What is wrong to have more money in the bank?
    Undriadi,
    This is a question for the Youth Committee.
    But in my opinion, for non-for-profit organization it's wrong to have more money in the bank - money should work for the benefit of the organization.
    To have more money to support Youth team to international tournaments we need to organize more youth tournaments in Canada and increase participation.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast