Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 5.1 Junior chess issues and participation in world events like WYCC/WCCC/U16 Olympiad

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Undriadi Benggawan View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion Vlad.
    I will contact them and keep the CFC Exec inform.

Any interest from the CFC governors?
    In the past, Valer Demian who is involved in youth coaching also expressed interest.

Thanks for the suggestion Vlad.
    I will contact them and keep the CFC Exec inform.

I would be interested.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    With the maturity of Internet in recent years, connections in major cities around the world should not be a problem. Most world class tournaments are being held in major cities. Most major wireless providers in Canada now offers travelling packages - $5 per day in US and $10 per day around the world, they partner with local providers to cover calls, texting and data. Players can either use the wifi provided by their accommodation and have the travelling package from their wireless provider as backup. That was what we did a few years ago, using the travelling package and our phone's tethering function to turn it into a wifi hot spot so that our laptop can be connect to the Intermat through the phone. Everything worked out fine.

We had been through 4 face-to-face coaches and 3 online coaches. I was there for most of the lessons and do not see a major difference in the quality and efficiency between them.

It may not be currently practical to totally eliminating on-site coaches, but a combination of on-site and online coaches can be considered to lower the cost. To the least, I believe it would make sense to send just one on-site coach to each of of the WYCC instead of sending two.

I definitely support finding ways to increase the revenue AND cutting down expenses for the junior fund, in order to balance the book. We should do a more detail financial analysis before jumping into making changes. The priority would probably try to make each junior event (WYCC WJCC, Olympiad U-16, etc.) self-sustainable, and then look into other source of income to support any events that are practically not self-sustainable.

It is already the last two days of this meeting; we should form a Youth Committee to carry on with the rest of the discussion on youth related topics.
    I'm not sure that the U-16 Olympiad can fund itself, it has to be funded with some excess from the CYCC money

I could be on the Committee. An arbiter is required to update at least the tiebreak rules. FIDE keep changing those rules and I got one complaint that tiebreaks should not be recommended, they should be mandatory and announced in advance of the first round.

The current version is here http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.ht...7&view=article but FIDE is currently investigating ways to get rid of the Virtual Opponent which is considered too arbitrary by some. Options such as average Buchholz and average Sonneborn-Berger are being studied. For example, a player with a SB of 15 in 5 games would get an average of 3 tiebreak points per games while another player who got a pairing allocated bye and got an SB of 13.5 in 4 games would get an average of 3,375 SB per game. The proponents of this system were not ready and the matter has be forwarded to the next FIDE Congress.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
    I would be interested.
    Great news!

Will it be a good idea to setup a discussion forum here for the Youth Committee?

I will list folks that are interested to be in youth committee and names that were suggested and contact them.

Not every names suggested has access to this forum.

Discussion among the youth committee can be done by emails and I keep the CFC governors inform.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    It would be worthwhile for the CFC to have an official policy for sending arbiters to the 2 WYCC, Word Junior, Youth Olympiads and School Championship. Those assignments are required to advance the career of our arbiters and are almost impossible to get without official CFC backing. Even if the arbiters need to cover some expenses, that may still be worthwhile. I am not suggesting that we spend money on that, just that we support those who want to work at those events.
    Such a policy will make little difference. We cannot dictate who the Arbiters are at someone else's tournament.

Blog Entries

I will list folks that are interested to be in youth committee and names that were suggested and contact them.

Not every names suggested has access to this forum.

Discussion among the youth committee can be done by emails and I keep the CFC governors inform.
    It sounds like you may have a dozen people interested in being part of the Committee. This is too many in the long term, but I'd start with all of them and whittle it down to those who are contributing regularly with well thought out ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    Such a policy will make little difference. We cannot dictate who the Arbiters are at someone else's tournament.
    We cannot do that, but we can tell FIDE that the CFC approve or recommend someone. Without an explicit permission form a national Federation, nobody will ever be considered for those arbiters positions. This is what is being said in FIDE refresher seminars: nobody will be selected against the wish of his national Federation, so it is important that whoever selects know that Canadian applicants are authorized by the CFC.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345