Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.1 Junior chess issues and participation in world events like WYCC/WCCC/U16 Olympiad

Probably because at times the Youth Committee tried to arrogate decisions that were rightly made by the Governors and/or executive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    In a simplified sense, with WYCC split into two, it should at most doubled our cost. Why did it jump to $13,910 from $4,980 - 2.8 times?
    It may have to do with timing of events. Remember our fiscal year is May 1st to April 30th. I believe that we got off particularly cheaply by using onsite coaches last year. Transportation costs were minimal and hotel and food costs were covered because we used the same FIDE Senior Trainer Russia based coach for WYCC and WCCC (GM Alexander Cherniaev). We also had one Canadian coach for one of the tournaments. This year we had only one of four coaches being FIDE trainers (actually two received their trainer license but both at the same tournament and thus only one qualified for the subsidy) and we also had a hurricane shutting down an airport during the tournament which required rerouting of one of our coaches at an added transportation cost.

It would be worthwhile for the CFC to have an official policy for sending arbiters to the 2 WYCC, Word Junior, Youth Olympiads and School Championship. Those assignments are required to advance the career of our arbiters and are almost impossible to get without official CFC backing. Even if the arbiters need to cover some expenses, that may still be worthwhile. I am not suggesting that we spend money on that, just that we support those who want to work at those events.

I agree with Michael Barron about the importance of establishing a youth committee. "As it stands now - we're simply unprepared to make any informed decision on these important topics.
    " - absolutely right.

Some thoughts on WYCC/ U16 Olympiad.

WYCC is an individual event, I think the current qualification criteria is fine. The more players play, the better - in fact, as I understand it, CFC gets some money for every extra player ($250, is it?). I think 1 coach/8 players is perfect, with 40 minutes lesson with each student before rounds. Perhaps, this $250 number should be increased to raise funds for a coach? With 12 official players and ~18 extra - even just a $100 increase is a lot of money when multiplied. Would be nice to see the numbers, by the way, I don't see why it has to be a secret. HOD costs, coaches, etc. Which brings us to the next point...

U16 Olympiad is a first time experience for me, so I have not thought about it much before. This is a team event, and players don't qualify for it, as I understand - players apply, and the highest rated are accepted in to the team. I was contacted about coaching the team, and I asked for a $2000 coach fee for the event. The CFC pays their usual $500 coach fee and air fair, while the parents had agreed to make up the rest at $300 each. If this is all agreed upon in advance, I think its a very normal situation. The way things happened though, with the constant changes - it was a cause for one of the players to withdraw. The $500 coach fee from CFC for 2 weeks of work is quite embarrassing though, for U16 Olympiad or WYCC.
    Since players don't qualify to this Olympiad event, but are provided with some of their expenses being paid by CFC - I think it would make sense to put serious efforts to encourage the best players in Canada to be on the team. With the top players participating, a top 10 result and higher is very possible. It would also make sense to set a rating requirement for the team - lets say, 2250 for males and 2100 for females. If we can not get 5 players rated high enough to participate - the team isn't going. Having a coach signed up well in advance and all the details ready would probably help interested players. One more thing. Do we need 5 players? This year Belarus has 4 on their team, no substitutes - and they are doing just fine. Its not a very long event, just 9 rounds, with one rest day. No substitutes would mean everyone is there to play, everyone gets to play all 9 games (as an Olympic team member in previous years, I would personally love that).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
    I agree with Michael Barron about the importance of establishing a youth committee. "As it stands now - we're simply unprepared to make any informed decision on these important topics.
    " - absolutely right.

WYCC is an individual event, I think the current qualification criteria is fine. The more players play, the better - in fact, as I understand it, CFC gets some money for every extra player ($250, is it?).
    $150 if they played at CYCC and $300 if they didn't. I did get some complaints about these fees from certain parents over the years. Everyone who plays at CYCC has in effect already paid $150 towards WYCC.

I think 1 coach/8 players is perfect, with 40 minutes lesson with each student before rounds. Perhaps, this $250 number should be increased to raise funds for a coach? With 12 official players and ~18 extra - even just a $100 increase is a lot of money when multiplied. Would be nice to see the numbers, by the way, I don't see why it has to be a secret. HOD costs, coaches, etc. Which brings us to the next point...

U16 Olympiad is a first time experience for me, so I have not thought about it much before. This is a team event, and players don't qualify for it, as I understand - players apply, and the highest rated are accepted in to the team. I was contacted about coaching the team, and I asked for a $2000 coach fee for the event. The CFC pays their usual $500 coach fee and air fair, while the parents had agreed to make up the rest at $300 each. If this is all agreed upon in advance, I think its a very normal situation. The way things happened though, with the constant changes - it was a cause for one of the players to withdraw. The $500 coach fee from CFC for 2 weeks of work is quite embarrassing though, for U16 Olympiad or WYCC.
    Since players don't qualify to this Olympiad event, but are provided with some of their expenses being paid by CFC - I think it would make sense to put serious efforts to encourage the best players in Canada to be on the team. With the top players participating, a top 10 result and higher is very possible. It would also make sense to set a rating requirement for the team - lets say, 2250 for males and 2100 for females. If we can not get 5 players rated high enough to participate - the team isn't going. Having a coach signed up well in advance and all the details ready would probably help interested players. One more thing. Do we need 5 players? This year Belarus has 4 on their team, no substitutes - and they are doing just fine. Its not a very long event, just 9 rounds, with one rest day. No substitutes would mean everyone is there to play, everyone gets to play all 9 games (as an Olympic team member in previous years, I would personally love that).
    The financials should be posted before the end of the meeting. If the treasurer doesn't do it with his report, I will do it.

" - absolutely right.

WYCC is an individual event, I think the current qualification criteria is fine. The more players play, the better - in fact, as I understand it, CFC gets some money for every extra player ($250, is it?). I think 1 coach/8 players is perfect, with 40 minutes lesson with each student before rounds. Perhaps, this $250 number should be increased to raise funds for a coach? With 12 official players and ~18 extra - even just a $100 increase is a lot of money when multiplied. Would be nice to see the numbers, by the way, I don't see why it has to be a secret. HOD costs, coaches, etc. Which brings us to the next point...

I for one would certainly welcome a well-functioning committee - there have been numerous times over the past decade where - no exaggeration - junior affairs have taken 70-80% of the national executive's time over extended periods. For sure such a committee would need to be respectful of the role of both the Executive and the VMs but I don't see that being a serious obstacle. The role of the Executive is policy setting not determining who our national reps are - those are SUPPOSED to be determined in battle over the board!

Is on-site coaching a must nowadays?

A few year’s ago when my kid attended WYCC, we arranged coaching through the Internet with my kid’s private coach. He coached my son for some time already, thus knew his playing style and openings well. There is also the advantage of a much more flexible scheduling. The coach also had enough time to look up the opponent’s games after each round’s pairing was out. Again, that was already a few year ago.

With the easiness of coaching through the internet, using skype, chess.com and other platforms, it may be a better and more economic choice to arrange for internet coaching. If the player do not has his/her own coach, CFC can arrange one (online) with a nominal fee. Possible?

I also support to have a full-functioning junior committee.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    Is on-site coaching a must nowadays?

A few year’s ago when my kid attended WYCC, we arranged coaching through the Internet with my kid’s private coach. He coached my son for some time already, thus knew his playing style and openings well. There is also the advantage of a much more flexible scheduling. The coach also had enough time to look up the opponent’s games after each round’s pairing was out. Again, that was already a few year ago.

With the easiness of coaching through the internet, using skype, chess.com and other platforms, it may be a better and more economic choice to arrange for internet coaching. If the player do not has his/her own coach, CFC can arrange one (online) with a nominal fee. Possible?

I also support to have a full-functioning junior committee.
    I have done on-site coaching 3 times now, and participated over the internet for some of my students over the years as well.. On-site is without a doubt much better for the kids. Even without internet connetion problems, on-site gives many more possibilities for training. Its also a lot cheaper to have a coach there at all times, being available all day long. An average coach fee nowadays is $50/hour. CFC pays $500/two weeks + air fees are paid for. Absolutely no comparison

I have done on-site coaching 3 times now, and participated over the internet for some of my students over the years as well.. On-site is without a doubt much better for the kids. Even without internet connetion problems, on-site gives many more possibilities for training. Its also a lot cheaper to have a coach there at all times, being available all day long. An average coach fee nowadays is $50/hour. CFC pays $500/two weeks + air fees are paid for. Absolutely no comparison
    That is assuming the coaches are happy with $500 for 2 weeks, which apparently is not the case. If each player has to pay $300 extra, a private coaching package for one tournament over the Internet is totally feasible.

May be an optional on-site coach for a nominal fee, say $100-$150?

I am predicting this year's junior financial will be in Red, we need to find ways to cut down the expenses and increase the revenue.

Blog Entries

At many of these events the internet tends to be very spotty aside from times where everyone is asleep. We have done internet coaching also for the under 16 Olympiad in Mongolia a few years ago but that was coaching before and not so much during the event.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast