Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 5.1 Junior chess issues and participation in world events like WYCC/WCCC/U16 Olympiad

Blog Entries

I am in favour of increasing the cost for extra players on the WYCC/WCCC "Team"

For players who did not compete in the CYCC, but are allowed to participate by the Executive -$500
    For players who did not finish in the top 3 in their section at the CYCC, but are allowed to participate by the CFC Executive - $250

Blog Entries

I am in favour of increasing the contribution form the YCC's to the Junior Fund, by an amount TBA

Blog Entries

I am in favour of doubling the Junior Rating fee to $1.00

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    At many of these events the internet tends to be very spotty aside from times where everyone is asleep. We have done internet coaching also for the under 16 Olympiad in Mongolia a few years ago but that was coaching before and not so much during the event.
    With the maturity of Internet in recent years, connections in major cities around the world should not be a problem. Most world class tournaments are being held in major cities. Most major wireless providers in Canada now offers travelling packages - $5 per day in US and $10 per day around the world, they partner with local providers to cover calls, texting and data. Players can either use the wifi provided by their accommodation and have the travelling package from their wireless provider as backup. That was what we did a few years ago, using the travelling package and our phone's tethering function to turn it into a wifi hot spot so that our laptop can be connect to the Intermat through the phone. Everything worked out fine.

Those efficiencies are probably specific to Eugene. I actually find that online lessons can be more efficient than face to face because you don't have to reset the pieces and it is easier to backtrack to an earlier position without the inaccuracies of face to face where you usually use a chessboard. Also the elimination of travel time is a plus.
    We had been through 4 face-to-face coaches and 3 online coaches. I was there for most of the lessons and do not see a major difference in the quality and efficiency between them.

It may not be currently practical to totally eliminating on-site coaches, but a combination of on-site and online coaches can be considered to lower the cost. To the least, I believe it would make sense to send just one on-site coach to each of of the WYCC instead of sending two.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I am in favour of increasing the cost for extra players on the WYCC/WCCC "Team"
    For players who did not compete in the CYCC, but are allowed to participate by the Executive -$500
    For players who did not finish in the top 3 in their section at the CYCC, but are allowed to participate by the CFC Executive - $250
    I am in favour of increasing the contribution form the YCC's to the Junior Fund, by an amount TBA
    I am in favour of doubling the Junior Rating fee to $1.00
    I definitely support finding ways to increase the revenue AND cutting down expenses for the junior fund, in order to balance the book. We should do a more detail financial analysis before jumping into making changes. The priority would probably try to make each junior event (WYCC WJCC, Olympiad U-16, etc.) self-sustainable, and then look into other source of income to support any events that are practically not self-sustainable.

It is already the last two days of this meeting; we should form a Youth Committee to carry on with the rest of the discussion on youth related topics.
    Last edited by Michael Lo; 12-15-2017 at 02:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    With the maturity of Internet in recent years, connections in major cities around the world should not be a problem. Most world class tournaments are being held in major cities. Most major wireless providers in Canada now offers travelling packages - $5 per day in US and $10 per day around the world, they partner with local providers to cover calls, texting and data. Players can either use the wifi provided by their accommodation and have the travelling package from their wireless provider as backup. That was what we did a few years ago, using the travelling package and our phone's tethering function to turn it into a wifi hot spot so that our laptop can be connect to the Intermat through the phone. Everything worked out fine.
    The last few years generic internet at the hotels at world events has been poor. In reaction to this we did go for additional international internet packages to allow communication. It has made a difference.

We had been through 4 face-to-face coaches and 3 online coaches. I was there for most of the lessons and do not see a major difference in the quality and efficiency between them.
    I have not noticed any difference in results for kids who take online lessons versus face to face. Internet lessons have a higher bandwidth of information because of the way you have to present them (chessbase versus a chessboard) allow for less time moving pieces around and more time teaching whatever you want to teach.

It may not be currently practical to totally eliminating on-site coaches, but a combination of on-site and online coaches can be considered to lower the cost. To the least, I believe it would make sense to send just one on-site coach to each of of the WYCC instead of sending two.
    The first coach is relatively inexpensive if he is a FIDE trainer. We only have to pay travel and honorarium. It is the second coach that gets expensive as we also have to pay for hotel and food in addition to travel. It was just ten years ago that we did not send any coaches at all and the HOD was subsidized by the organizer of WYCC for food and hotel costs.

I definitely support finding ways to increase the revenue AND cutting down expenses for the junior fund, in order to balance the book. We should do a more detail financial analysis before jumping into making changes. The priority would probably try to make each junior event (WYCC WJCC, Olympiad U-16, etc.) self-sustainable, and then look into other source of income to support any events that are practically not self-sustainable.

It is already the last two days of this meeting; we should form a Youth Committee to carry on with the rest of the discussion on youth related topics.
    At the moment, only the U16 Olympiad is not self sustainable. We use funds from CYCC to support the team.

The first coach is relatively inexpensive if he is a FIDE trainer. We only have to pay travel and honorarium. It is the second coach that gets expensive as we also have to pay for hotel and food in addition to travel. It was just ten years ago that we did not send any coaches at all and the HOD was subsidized by the organizer of WYCC for food and hotel costs.
    What if we only provide on-site coach for the 1st Place winners in each age group in the CYCC. The rest have to arrange for their own online coach on their own expenses. CFC can assist to align online coaches if they do not have one available, but will not pay for it. Is this a viable option?

At the moment, only the U16 Olympiad is not self sustainable. We use funds from CYCC to support the team.
    I was alerted by the substantial increase in expenses after WYCC is split into WYCC & WCCC. If after the split, those events are still self-sustainable, and if we can restrict to send one on-site coach to each event, we should have enough funding to send one coach to the U16 Olympiad. Is that correct?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    What if we only provide on-site coach for the 1st Place winners in each age group in the CYCC. The rest have to arrange for their own online coach on their own expenses. CFC can assist to align online coaches if they do not have one available, but will not pay for it. Is this a viable option?
    That is also a possible way forward.

I was alerted by the substantial increase in expenses after WYCC is split into WYCC & WCCC. If after the split, those events are still self-sustainable, and if we can restrict to send one on-site coach to each event, we should have enough funding to send one coach to the U16 Olympiad. Is that correct?
    Not always. It really depends on where the tournament is held and whether we use Canadian or international coaches and whether the coaches are FIDE trainers or FIDE instructors. Travel costs are a huge variable. For several tournaments we used local coaches (who already had a large presence in Canada) which greatly reduced the travel costs. I think in one or two cases we just had to pay for a train ticket and a small honorarium. We spent almost as much on coaches as we did on players this past year which is a bit of an imbalance.

How do we go about choosing who should be in the Youth Committee?
    Do we need to vote?

- Need to state the objectives and time line.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Undriadi Benggawan View Post
    How do we go about choosing who should be in the Youth Committee?
    Do we need to vote?

- Need to state the objectives and time line.
    Since you are the one who will be the primary point of contact for this I would say that it is up to you. Christina Tao and Victoria Doknjas would be two of my suggestions who have recently been HOD's at major world events if they are able to serve. I would also suggest someone like Mikhail Egorov who has been to WYCC/WCCC as a coach and also is an active organizer and youth coach. I would look for people who are doers and not people wanting to pad their resume. Also consider some of the parents of kids who attend lots of WYCCs and CYCCs as they will have good insight into how we can make it a better experience for both kids and parents. The role of the committee has to be advisory and they can't make decisions involving money without the input of the executive and in some cases the voting members.

Thanks for the suggestion Vlad.
    I will contact them and keep the CFC Exec inform.

Any interest from the CFC governors?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast