Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4. Executive / Officer Reports

Default 4. Executive / Officer Reports

Please post reports here (using codes as given in the agenda)

Default 4C. Secretary's report

I expect most of you have already heard but since the AGM the CFC has lost one of our giants with the passing of former CFC President and FIDE Zone President Phil Haley after a long illness.

You can find an obituary at
    http://yourlifemoments.ca/sitepages/...sp?oid=1045861

It was my pleasure to know Phil many years ago when I played at the Scarborough Chess Club - he was a gentleman and very helpful to all from the lowliest patzer to the highest ranks of FIDE. In his book ChessDon, USCF president Don Schultz mentions Phil regularly in his discussions of FIDE affairs at the highest level. At all levels from the club level to the highest international levels he was a great rep for chess in Canada holding nearly every role with the CFC along the way.

I hadn't seen him since I moved from Toronto to Vancouver but I will always have great memories of him and I'm sure I speak for all of you, many of whom knew him personally.

Default Women's Coordinator report

The FQE will organize the Canadian Women Closed and Zonal in Montreal during the Christmas break.

I have solicited this bid and I would like to thanks Richard Bérubé and his team for their nice bid.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    The FQE will organize the Canadian Women Closed and Zonal in Montreal during the Christmas break.

I have solicited this bid and I would like to thanks Richard Bérubé and his team for their nice bid.
    Thank you, Pierre!

Any new information about this event?
    The tournament starts in 2 weeks.
    Is there list of participants anywhere?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

4.I. Rating Auditor Report.
    Nothing exciting to report - which is good news. The system continues to move along in almost perfect equilibrium.
    No inflation, no deflation.

I would like to acknowledge Vincent Chow who did some excellent work updating the tools that I use to audit the health of the rating system.
    I would also like to recognize the TD's across the country for the excellent and accurate work they put into their submissions. Also, Bob Gilanders in the CFC office
    has been very diligent in doing the weekly updates, clarifying anomalies and sending people with questions my way.

I monitor the discussions about everyone's favourite rating topic - losing rating points to kids. There have been some creative ideas.
    The cruel truth is that some players are moving up and therefore some players have to move down.
    Over the past couple of years, we've adopted a few sensible ideas to ensure players start at an accurate rating such as accepting USCF, FIDE and FQE ratings at par and allowing
    Canadians with foreign ratings more than 200 points higher than their CFC ratings to adjust their CFC rating accordingly.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

4.J. Chess Foundation of Canada Report.
    It's been a good year so far for life membership sales - 10 new members and still 4 months to go.
    The Foundation is on track to earn about $11,000 of income for the CFC this fiscal year.
    The portfolio has not changed significantly since my 2016/2017 annual report which is available to all in the minutes of the last AGM.
    Assets under management as of this moment are $342,000 plus $4950 of life membership sales receivable from the CFC office.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Thank you, Pierre!

Any new information about this event?
    The tournament starts in 2 weeks.
    Is there list of participants anywhere?

The list is on the FQE web site http://fqechecs.qc.ca/article/partic...eminin-2017-18 .

Blog Entries

Here are the six month financials with last financial full year comparison. They are better than I expected.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 12-12-2017 at 04:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post

Good work and thank you to the FQE for stepping in and organizing this and other events that we have a hard time finding an organizer for.

4F. Youth Coordinator's Report

Youth Coordinator's report for Sep – Dec 2017

I served CFC since Sep 2017

1. Continued CFC previous Youth Coordinator tasks to send Youth to WJCC in Italy and Olympiad U-16 in India
    2. Currently in the Kalev Pugi Fund since Sep 2017. Not yet involved in the selection of the players for the awards.

International Tournaments handled as follows:

1. U-16 Olympiad 2017 in India.
    2. World Junior Chess Championship 2017 in Italy.

Looking forward to continuing to serve CFC and Chess youth community next year.

Undriadi Benggawan
    CFC Youth Coordinator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast