Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2. Opening Comments of Chair

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    It appears chesstalk still has an issue with a hacked website. As soon as you open it the CPU usage goes to 100%. Using this forum results in a short spike but returns to a negligible load on your CPU very quickly. Close chesstalk and usage drops back to normal.
    My laptop's CPU usage is stable at 3-4% when accessing ChessTalk. Try to clean up your computer with one or more anti-virus software.

My comment that the CFC offered free advertisement of chess tournaments appears to have been removed from Chesstalk.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft View Post
    My comment that the CFC offered free advertisement of chess tournaments appears to have been removed from Chesstalk.
    Well that is Larry's domain and perhaps to be expected. He doesn't want to give free advertising to the competition. For a tournament in Windsor, I don't think Chesstalk is a factor. I won't be advertising there particularly if the hacking continues. I am also not clear if this new policy also applies to tournament announcements like WYCC/WCCC and so on. If so, future announcements will be confined to the CFC forum and website.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    My laptop's CPU usage is stable at 3-4% when accessing ChessTalk. Try to clean up your computer with one or more anti-virus software.
    I regularly use multiple programs and just used Trend Micro to confirm that I am virus free. Others report the same thing that I have experienced. The issue is that people are hacking websites all the time. This time it is a bitcoin miner but it could be something much worse next time. I have known people that had all their files locked and lost by ransomware.

This forum was hacked and part of the reason that this meeting started a bit late was that Lyle could not get into his account but Chris Mallon has taken steps to repel the hacker and obviously Lyle is back in control of his account.

Edit:
    It appears that Malwarebytes blocks the coinhive site so I am not experiencing the CPU load anymore. That does not negate the worrisome fact that this appears to be embedded in the Chesstalk website at the moment.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 12-12-2017 at 03:15 PM.

I dunno if anyone saw my previous post about this, but I would suggest a "cheat sheet" for TDs on where to post event announcements on the CFC website, and any other useful links; like to the supported programs, submission for ratings, etc. I think up until now, many TDs just went to ChessTalk (bookmarked in their Favorites) out of habit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I dunno if anyone saw my previous post about this, but I would suggest a "cheat sheet" for TDs on where to post event announcements on the CFC website, and any other useful links; like to the supported programs, submission for ratings, etc. I think up until now, many TDs just went to ChessTalk (bookmarked in their Favorites) out of habit.
    Great idea!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12