Thread: Chess Etiquette - Post COVID-19

Default Chess Etiquette - Post COVID-19

It is probably time to start thinking about new chess etiquette.

Some provinces are likely to begin allowing small gatherings in the coming weeks. Everyone is wondering what changes are appropriate when our local chess club reconvenes and weekend OTB tournaments resume.

Do we replace handshakes with fist bumps or Japanese bows?
    Do we wear face masks? Do we provide hand sanitizer?
    How do we clean the chess pieces? Do we even touch the chess pieces?
    Do we limit the size of the tournament? Minimum distance between tables?

I am sure everyone has thought about this? Let's share our thoughts!

I think the key will be to continue social distancing as best we can, and gradually ease up as life returns to normal (whatever normal may be).

Here are some suggestions:
    1. Eliminate the handshake altogether. Replace it with a nod and a "good luck" and begin the game.
    2. Since you will be facing an opponent that will be ~ 3' away, face masks should be required.
    3. Gloves are very uncomfortable when worn for a long time. A bottle of hand-sanitizer at each board should be sufficient.
    4. Six feet between boards should be manageable, but I don't see a practical path to keeping the combatants six feet apart. Is a face mask and hand sanitizer enough?
    5. Watching other games while awaiting your opponent's move should be strongly discouraged. It will be extremely challenging for smaller venues to provide enough space to keep the boards 6' apart as well as providing space for spectators.

George.