You;
    fred_mckim;
    lcraver;
    info@chess.ca;
    admin@chess.ca;
    Tom Boshoff ; Kirk Morrison at Economic Development Regina Emails redacted

You replied on 2017-08-10 6:05 PM.

Good morning!

On behalf of Events Regina, it is our pleasure to provide you with a bid to host the 2019 Chess Federation of Canada Canadian Open & Canadian Youth Chess Championship in Regina, Saskatchewan. Our bid outlines Regina’s strong interest in hosting this event with our growing chess community headed by the Saskatchewan Chess Federation.

Areas of particular interest within the proposal include a sponsorship offer in the amount of $25,000 from the Regina Hotel Association, as well as a full site tour with a dedicated host to showcase our city with an in-kind value of $2,500. We would be thrilled for your delegates to experience the excitement of Regina if we were selected as the host city for the 2019 Canadian Open & Canadian Youth Chess Championship.

Please follow the below link to access Regina’s BID via DropBox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/umaahvcyak...FINAL.pdf?dl=0

If you have any questions regarding the attached submission, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Sincerely,

Tenielle Bogdan & Kirk Morrison
    Co-Chairs of Events Regina

The bid is a pdf which is probably too large to post here at 28 MBytes but it does look like there was quite a bit of work put into preparing it. It should be accessible via the dropbox link.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-21-2017 at 12:04 AM.

This looks like a very strong bid and I cannot remember when it was last held in Saskatchewan. In the letter of support from the Regina Hotel Association, it says "We are delighted to support the Saskatchewan Chess Federation’s bid to host the 2019 Canadian Open and Canadian Youth Chess Championship by offering a sponsorship of up to a maximum of $25,000. I would be pleased to discuss the terms and conditions of this sponsorship upon confirmation of this event to Regina."

What are the terms and Conditions of the Sponsorship? I believe they sponsored this year's Saskatchewan Open which I attended and was a very well run tournament.

Bid has many strong points. To get 160+ players will require some effort.

The model put forth includes no appearance fees to strong players. That is not a good way to go. Regina is expensive place to get to. If no Canadian GMs/IMs attend the CO some players will choose to go to the events they do play in that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Findlay View Post
    I cannot remember when it was last held in Saskatchewan.
    Maybe because the Canadian Open has never previously been held in Saskatchewan.

If nothing else Regina is relatively easy to get to if not cheaply.

About 13-14 years ago we held consecutive Canadian Opens in Kapuskasing - which had such good travel connections that no one from BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba came. Not a single person. (I know that as I specified in my proxy that year that it should go to a BC governor, failing that any governor from BC/AB/SK/MB and the chair gave it to a governor from Thunder Bay as he was the closest to a 'westerner' as there was at that meeting!) The second year a lot of us were shocked when some of the bids were turned down unread. Ancient history now.

Regina is much much more accessible that that so saying it's inaccessible pretty much means you object to having the Open anywhere in western Canada except perhaps Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton.
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 08-26-2017 at 07:10 PM.