Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 08C. Fees for YCC

Blog Entries

Default 08C. Fees for YCC

One of the main ways for players to qualify for the CYCC is through the Regional YCC tournaments.

In order to qualify as a YCC, the tournament has to submit a YCC fee of $1.50 per player up to a maximum of $400.

I would like to make a motion to increase these amounts to $3 per player up to a maximum of $500 - again depending on feedback.
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 08-20-2017 at 12:47 PM.

What is the reason for such a significant increase? It seems like $1.50 is already 3 times more than what is charged for a regular junior event.

Blog Entries

I have mixed feelings on this. I think the point of the YCC's is to drum up interest in CYCC and WYCC/WCCC and not necessarily to generate more money for the youth fund. The splitting of the WYCC into WYCC and WCCC has created additional costs as we usually have additional coaching costs and additional HOD costs. We have also begun to partially fund other tournaments like NAYCC and U16 Olympiad from the youth fund though I am not sure that this is sustainable particularly in a year where we have a small CYCC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
    What is the reason for such a significant increase? It seems like $1.50 is already 3 times more than what is charged for a regular junior event.
    I think as Vlad has explained the Youth Fund funding is always very tight. This year we were able to give a small amount to the NAYCC contingent for the first time (our biggest contingent ever).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I think as Vlad has explained the Youth Fund funding is always very tight. This year we were able to give a small amount to the NAYCC contingent for the first time (our biggest contingent ever).
    While I have only good things to say about the Canadian contingent and NAYCC Canada's HOD Victoria Doknjas I do feel that the actions of the NAYCC organizers made a mockery of our commitment to this tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I have mixed feelings on this. I think the point of the YCC's is to drum up interest in CYCC and WYCC/WCCC and not necessarily to generate more money for the youth fund. The splitting of the WYCC into WYCC and WCCC has created additional costs as we usually have additional coaching costs and additional HOD costs. We have also begun to partially fund other tournaments like NAYCC and U16 Olympiad from the youth fund though I am not sure that this is sustainable particularly in a year where we have a small CYCC.
    Do we have a financial report on the Youth Fund? We are looking at a 100% increase of the YCC fee. Some solid figures to clarify the need would help. For example, how much "additional coaching costs" and "additional HOD costs"? How small a CYCC will make the fund not sustainable. What is the current balance of the fund?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    Do we have a financial report on the Youth Fund? We are looking at a 100% increase of the YCC fee. Some solid figures to clarify the need would help. For example, how much "additional coaching costs" and "additional HOD costs"? How small a CYCC will make the fund not sustainable. What is the current balance of the fund?
    Financials should be posted shortly.

A coach who is not a FIDE trainer costs about four to five thousand depending on the destination. A coach who is a FIDE trainer much less because he gets free room and board from the organizers and then the cost is the honorarium and the plane trip. The bad news is that there are only about half a dozen Canadians that have current FIDE trainer licenses or lesser licenses which are still valid to receive the team captain food and lodging allowances from organizers.

Last year we had approximately $39,000 from the Windsor CYCC plus an extra payment of $5000 from Caesars Windsor to the youth fund. The balance in the youth fund at the end of last fiscal year was $5037. It would have been zero plus or minus $37 if we had not gotten a cheque from Caesars WIndsor.

Blog Entries

From my point of view it makes more sense to limit the players that actually incur the expenses to the CFC at the WYCC/WCCC level and perhaps increase those fees to extra players to more realistically cover the costs of their participation. Because of the short time lines this year the players did not go through the normal vetting by the executive that they usally do. Had they done so we probably would have said no to a few of them.

Roughly once per month I meet with our Executive Director to sign cheques. The loudest single message that I receive concerns the youth tournaments of all stripes. They are a huge strain on Bob's available time. A typical youth event, which requires no membership and generates $.50 per player, costs us money to simply rate. The majority of the kids are one time players. This fee structure was originally designed to compete with CMA, which does not have a membership fee and was rating events for a similar fee at the time. I realize there is a promotional angle to this strategy but a review is in order.

If the Youth Fund paid its fair share of CFC overheads we would have much less to devote to the international youth programs which are increasingly popular and are only becoming more expensive. The YCC's are grossly underpriced IMHO. The CMA Chess Challenge, which qualifies players to a one day provincial championship, charges $4-$5 to its organizers. I believe Fred's proposal is more than reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Financials should be posted shortly.

A coach who is not a FIDE trainer costs about four to five thousand depending on the destination. A coach who is a FIDE trainer much less because he gets free room and board from the organizers and then the cost is the honorarium and the plane trip. The bad news is that there are only about half a dozen Canadians that have current FIDE trainer licenses or lesser licenses which are still valid to receive the team captain food and lodging allowances from organizers.
    Being a Sector Arbiter at the WYCC (Youths and Cadets) and at the World School Championship would be beneficial for an arbiter advancement but I have noticed that we almost never send any arbiter to those events. Actually, no FIDE opportunities are ever advertised on the CFC web site contrary to many other countries who systematically announces all FIDE opportunities to all their arbiters. Is there any cost to the CFC for sending Canadian IA abroad?

This lack of transparency is annoying, I am considering moving a motion to make it mandatory to post all opportunities for arbiters at FIDE competitions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast