Thread: 04.9 - Nomination of CFC Publicity Officer

Default 04.9 - Nomination of CFC Publicity Officer

Please place nominations for publicity officer here
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 08-20-2017 at 12:42 PM.

Blog Entries

This position has not been filled for about 3 years. According to the Handbook the name is Public Relations Coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    This position has not been filled for about 3 years. According to the Handbook the name is Public Relations Coordinator.
    I think this position is one of the most important position in CFC. Those who really wish to help promoting chess in Canada and with a willing heart and time, please offer yourself for this position. We have seen many successes in the last few years in Canada chess scene and we should take this opportunity to help spread the information to chess players in general. If more juniors can identify Chess champion like they can to hockey ( for example ), Chess will definitely move to the next level.

Perseverance and commitment in this position is essential and not easy. Continuing publicity about our success in Canada Chess ( in every aspects ) to the mainstream will help keep the momentum going. Hopefully there will be a domino effect and we will see chess booming in Canada.

Blog Entries

I think there are at least a couple of functions that this position could choose to tackle.

The first would be to prepare short press releases of a National nature to go to major media outlets in the country and over time widen the scope to smaller media outlets with perhaps more closer to home stories. Right now the CFC Newsfeed & the CFC Cross-tables listing would provide a very good source of recent information.

A second function would be more appropriate to a targeted membership promotion position, but since we don't have that ..... work with the Executive Director to target individuals who are expiring or have recently expired to produce e-mails inviting them back. Produce e-mails for strong regional events to players in those regions, etc, etc.

The amount of work required for either of these tasks would be suitable for a lot of CFC members who would like to give back.

There are clearly many other activities that could be undertaken, but I think start small.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    ........ but I think start small.
    This position has been vacant since Bob Armstrong retired. I think there are members out there willing to help, but they are scared off by the potential scope of this job and the anticipated criticism. I for one, don't expect you to take on the world and get us to 10,000 members in one year. Any effort would be greatly appreciated.

For example, I am getting increased traffic via email and phone by potential new members. They have very basic questions: How do I join?, are there tournaments I can enter?, how does the rating system work?, how do I xxxxxxxx etc etc etc??? I am spending more and more time answering these questions while other duties get neglected. It would be great if I could redirect these inquiries to you. Help introduce new members to the CFC. Answer these basic questions.

If that was the total sum of what you did: IMHO, good enough for now.
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; 08-22-2017 at 11:43 AM.

Blog Entries

From the Public Gallery

Hi Brent. Anything I can do to try and get someone to take up the Promotions mantle .....

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Golem View Post

I guess secondly to #3, I noticed in the CFC handbook that PUBLIC RELATIONS COORDINATOR has the following duty:
    "work with the Canadian Chess News editor to and celebrity chess commentators to develop paid content that raises the profile of the e-newsletter and the CFC and chess generally;"

** This position is "incorrectly" referred to as Publicity Officer in the AGM; I don't believe this function you've quoted was ever actually carried anybody in this position, instead I have listed a couple of ideas on the Incoming Forum under the Nomination for Publicity Officer Thread that we really could use help with.

would it be correct to presume that Canadian Chess News editor paid content is included in the e-newsletter expenses?

** The original idea was that the Editor would receive about 50% of the monthly budget for himself (for compiling, editing, and formatting) and the remainder for content authors