Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My boycott of CFC Active events

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée
    They are not deflated, they are statistically not significant. Go to the crosstable section and you will see that there are almost no rapid rated tournaments in Canada. If you play 100 regular games and 6 rapid games in a year, your rapid rating cannot follow your true playing strength. This does not mean that the rating is deflated : it only means that it is based on a too small number of games to be significant. Regular and rapid games are as different as a 5 000m and a marathon : proficiency in one does not necessary imply proficiency in the other. You can get an accurate rapid rating only by playing many rated rapid games.
    In the past I have played way more than, say, 6 CFC Active games a year in Ottawa, as did many of the opponents I faced. For our area, at least Active ratings became deflated just like regular ones did. Besides myself, a number of Active 'master' players became Active 'expert' players, just as was the case with regular ratings before deflation was corrected.

Chris Mallon has posted earlier in this thread that he attempted to get the Active rating system corrected (after a programming snafu occurred on his watch that otherwise would have allowed the correction). He was involved with the CFC ratings committee that approved the Regular and Active ratings to be 'corrected'. Were you a dissenting member on the committee (assuming you made any contribution), and thus you did not impliment the 'correction' to Active ratings, as Chris wished, before or after Chris was no longer CFC president?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pacey
    In the past I have played way more than, say, 6 CFC Active games a year in Ottawa, as did many of the opponents I faced. For our area, at least Active ratings became deflated just like regular ones did. Besides myself, a number of Active 'master' players became Active 'expert' players, just as was the case with regular ratings before deflation was corrected.

Chris Mallon has posted earlier in this thread that he attempted to get the Active rating system corrected (after a programming snafu occurred on his watch that otherwise would have allowed the correction). He was involved with the CFC ratings committee that approved the Regular and Active ratings to be 'corrected'. Were you a dissenting member on the committee (assuming you made any contribution), and thus you did not impliment the 'correction' to Active ratings, as Chris wished, before or after Chris was no longer CFC president?
    No reply still, even though Pierre has visited this Discussion Board since the day of my post as quoted above, according to the Members List.

I would hope that even he would acknowlege that adding bonus and participation points to the Active rating system (if not giving it a boost in the manner done for Regular CFC ratings as well) would be a good thing, if only from a customer relations point of view for the CFC.

However I really think Pierre should step down as CFC Governor and make room for someone more productive from his province. I knew when it was time for me to resign as a Governor.

Pierre is no longer the Rating Auditor - it is now Bill Doubleday.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Brodie
    Pierre is no longer the Rating Auditor - it is now Bill Doubleday.
    I know, as can be seen on the previous page of this thread.

Someone else would better serve the CFC's interests in Quebec than Pierre, IMO, as the FSQE debacle would illustrate. Then there's that unproductive tenure as Rating Auditor. IMO a province that has as few Governors as Quebec should have more of them who would be able to be productive if and when they serve on the Executive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pacey
    Then there's that unproductive tenure as Rating Auditor.
    It's not only my opinion on the above point. Here's Chris Mallon on chesstalk, circa 14 July 2009, posting about why he (Chris) ran for Rating Auditor this year:

Re: CFC AGM day 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I put my name in so that we wouldn't have Pierre doing nothing for another year. I'm sure Bill will do a great job and if I'd known he was interested I would have supported him.
    CFC Governor
    FIDE Arbiter"

I should also mention that rightly or wrongly I felt somewhat humililated when I once unquestioningly seconded a motion by Pierre when he served as CFC Treasurer at one point, when he ought to have had cost-benefit analysis to back it up. The motion failed miserably. My fault too, but at least I was a newbie and wasn't on the Executive. At least in the end I was not alone: every Governor who voted to affiliate the FSQE, and subsequently had to reverse themselves by disaffiliating it, ought to have felt a twinge of humiliation.

Blog Entries

Pierre is no longer a Governor for Quebec at all.

The FQSE was a Win-Draw scenario. The CFC had nothing to lose but much to gain. In the end, the CFC lost nothing, I'd hardly call it a debacle.

If nothing else it showed the FQE that the CFC *is* in fact interested in Quebec ... and they can take that however they like, but if someone could ever get something like the FQSE going with the *right* people in charge.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon
    Pierre is no longer a Governor for Quebec at all.
    Good news as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon
    The FQSE was a Win-Draw scenario. The CFC had nothing to lose but much to gain. In the end, the CFC lost nothing, I'd hardly call it a debacle.
    If I recall correctly, Neil Sullivan once pointed out on chesstalk that the CFC was losing members in Quebec because of the [in]actions of the FSQE when it still was affiliated. So the CFC did in fact have something to lose.

Blog Entries

The CFC was losing members everywhere. We lost fewer per capita in Quebec than anywhere else.

The main way in which this benefited the CFC I think was in at least briefly scaring the FQE. That might be a useful piece of information for the future.

Hi Chris:

It was my impression that Quebec players generally ridiculed the FQSE as completely ineffective. I doubt the FQE was much concerned.

I had hoped from some of the things posted earlier this year, that maybe we could get onto a road of some limited type of cooperation between CFC and FQE. But it seems nothing came of it again. Too bad.

Bob

Blog Entries

Bob,

I was referring to beforehand when it was first announced.

Considering all they ever did was ask for money and volunteers I can understand what anyone says after the fact.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast