Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 5B1 - NEW MOTIONS - Olympic Team Selection (Moved Victor Plotkin, Seconded Fred McKim

My major concerns are not about "wordings", but what exactly will be affected by the motions. Re-wording my concerns, I am asking:

1) Will the Selection Committee be eliminated since Victor's motion did not mention anything about the Committee. If the Committee will be eliminated, what ground does the decision base on and who will make that decision? I think we need another motion to eliminate the Committee. If that is the case, I am proposing to get it done in this quarterly meeting, if possible.

2) Will Handbook section 206.a still be effective? We should also resolve this in this meeting, if possible.

A few words on the "wordings", along the discussion, it gives us (at least me) the impression that Victor is willing to change wording on some of the motions, and the wordings of some of the motions will be changed. Thank you for Lyle's explanation on how and when these changes can be done. I also strongly recommend that the change of wordings to Victor's motions be done before the end of this meeting.

The voting is ending today and the meeting is ending tomorrow. I would like to seek the President, Secretary and Victor's opinions on how to handle the situation asap.

Michael

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    Voting is ending today. I still have the above concerns. Vlad?
    It is not really possible to change proposals once voting has started though we can correct the grammar as long as it does not change the intent of the motion. The selection committee is eliminated by this vote. There is no need for any additional motion to do so.

The handbook needs to be updated with non-NFP compliant sections being purged. Hopefully this can be done over the course of the next year. Once this is done we can ratify it as the continued will of the voting members with respect to certain matters of CFC policy.

Vlad, thanks for the clarification.

I would like to move to reconsider the motions 5B3 and 5B4.

Revised motion 5B3:

The formula uses the FIDE rating only as a base for the team if the average FIDE rating of top-5 eligible players is above 2300. The formula uses the average FIDE and CFC rating as a base for the team if the average FIDE rating of top-5 eligible players is below or equal 2300. Any number is rounded to the nearest 1. 0.5 is rounded to 1. If 2 or more players have the same total number then the younger age will be used as the tie-breaker.

Reason to reconsider: Eliminate possible gender discrimination complains.

Revised motion 5B4:

Bonuses for performance in the last Canadian Closed or last Canadian Women, respectively, that took place 5-36 months prior to the Olympiad and that has not been used as qualification for a previous Olympiad:

+10 points if player played all rounds of Canadian Closed
    +20 points for third place
    +30 points for second place

This bonus will be added to any base rating number (last rating, average rating or highest rating).

Reason to reconsider: remove connotation of penalizing players not participated in the Canadian Closed or Canadian Women.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    Vlad, thanks for the clarification.

I would like to move to reconsider the motions 5B3 and 5B4.

Revised motion 5B3:

The formula uses the FIDE rating only as a base for the team if the average FIDE rating of top-5 eligible players is above 2300. The formula uses the average FIDE and CFC rating as a base for the team if the average FIDE rating of top-5 eligible players is below or equal 2300. Any number is rounded to the nearest 1. 0.5 is rounded to 1. If 2 or more players have the same total number then the younger age will be used as the tie-breaker.

Reason to reconsider: Eliminate possible gender discrimination complains.

Revised motion 5B4:

Bonuses for performance in the last Canadian Closed or last Canadian Women, respectively, that took place 5-36 months prior to the Olympiad and that has not been used as qualification for a previous Olympiad:

+10 points if player played all rounds of Canadian Closed
    +20 points for third place
    +30 points for second place

This bonus will be added to any base rating number (last rating, average rating or highest rating).

Reason to reconsider: remove connotation of penalizing players not participated in the Canadian Closed or Canadian Women.
    I have re-posted the above to the Voting Results thread which I believe is more appropriate, please put any further replies there - http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...ults-of-voting.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234