Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5B1 - NEW MOTIONS - Olympic Team Selection (Moved Victor Plotkin, Seconded Fred McKim

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    Could someone help to post the rest of the criteria for selection? I would guess they are in the CFC handbook, but the CFC site is down.
    The cfc site is still down. I would very much like to know the entire criteria for selection to have a whole picture before voting on Victor's motions. The deadline for voting is Nov 26 (tomorrow). If I cannot get access to the entire criteria for selection, I would request the President to prolong the voting period due to insufficient information to make a decision.

We did achieve our best Olympic result with a selection committee. It is not clear why we want to get rid of it. Kasparov career would have been slowed down if a selection committee hasn't chosen him.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    The cfc site is still down. I would very much like to know the entire criteria for selection to have a whole picture before voting on Victor's motions. The deadline for voting is Nov 26 (tomorrow). If I cannot get access to the entire criteria for selection, I would request the President to prolong the voting period due to insufficient information to make a decision.
    Now, the team consists of:

1. The winner of the last Canadian Closed (or Canadian Women)
    2. 3 players by rating. (top CFC + top FIDE) / 2. Top = max rating in 12 months before the deadline. Deadline = 6 months before the start of the Olympiad.
    3. Selection Committee chooses 1 player.

My proposal (motions)

1. No Selection Committee. The champion + 4 by rating.
    2. Only FIDE rating for the National Team.
    3. Last published rating instead of max rating.
    4. Bonus/penalty for Canadian Closed
    5. Bonus for juniors.
    6. Bonus/penalty for the last Olympiad performance

No selection Committee, but it is a team tournament. The players selected by the formula could be mortal enemies. That would ruin the fun of being together and the team spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    Wasn't there a requirement for selected players to play a minimum number of games in a specified time prior to selection? I can remember a discussion where I suggested that players who are selected should play a minimum number games in Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I don’t think that this proposal negates that one (minimum games, FIDE, CFC or FQE) which passed as I recall. Minimum games in Canada never made it into a motion and I believe that it would be the death knell to achieving strong results like the one we had last Olympiad.
    I am referring to the above. Seems like there are more selection criteria, e.g. minimum games, that are not listed.

The current requirement is 20 games CFC or FIDE rated during the 12 months period before the deadline.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    The current requirement is 20 games CFC or FIDE rated during the 12 months period before the deadline.
    This proposal does not affect the 20 game minimum.

In summary, the current selection criteria are:

1. Played 20 games CFC or FIDE rated during the 12 months period before the deadline.
    2. The winner of the last Canadian Closed (or Canadian Women)
    3. 3 players by rating. (top CFC + top FIDE) / 2. Top = max rating in 12 months before the deadline. Deadline = 6 months before the start of the Olympiad.
    4. Selection Committee chooses 1 player.

With Victor's motions (if all passed), the criteria will be:
    1. Played 20 games CFC or FIDE rated during the 12 months period before the deadline (according to motion 5B2 a, the deadline is 5 months before the start of Olympiad).
    2. No Selection Committee. The champion + 4 by rating.
    3. Only FIDE rating for the National Team.
    4. Last published rating instead of max rating.
    5. Bonus/penalty for Canadian Closed
    6. Bonus for juniors.
    7. Bonus/penalty for the last Olympiad performance

Any other criteria not mentioned above exists? Please confirm.

I finally get hold of a cached version of the CFC handbook. Following are the sections concerning the Olympiad players' selection:

905. The Selection Committee

The CFC Executive shall appoint a Selection Committee consisting of three well known and respected individuals who are of at least master strength and have knowledge of the Canadian chess community. [Motion 2012-V Barron/Zeromskis]

a) The Selection Committee shall be appointed no later than 180 days before the start of the Olympiad.

b) The Selection Committee shall select three players to be eligible for the National Team in a ranked order and three players to be eligible for the Women's team in a ranked order, taking into account the players' recent results, potential for improvement and such other factors as they consider relevant. These selections shall be made no later than 165 days before the start of the Olympiad. [Motion 2011L Bluvshtein/Zeromskis; amended by McDonald/von Keitz]

c) [Motion 2004-05 GL6 Harper/Feng] Neither member of the Selection Committee may play for the Canadian National Team in the Olympiad in question.

906. Selection of the players

a) Eligibility: Players are eligible to play on a Canadian Team if they are:

i) A Canadian Citizen or a permanent resident of Canada. Proof of status must be provided to the CFC Executive when a player accepts a position on a Team.

ii) A member in good standing of the CFC and the affiliated provincial association in the province of residence (if one exists) at the time of selection.

iii) Have played at least 10 regular CFC rated or FIDE rated games during the year prior to the start of the selection process (which begins 180 days before the start of the Olympiad).

b) National Team: [Motion Smith/Jaeger 2007-08 GL6, amendment of original Craver/Gillanders motion] The National Team shall consist of five players, as follows:

i) The Canadian Champion, as of 180 days before the start of the Olympiad.

ii) The three highest rated players on the Selection Rating List.

iii) One player decided upon by the Selection Committee.

c) Women’s Team: The Women’s Team shall consist of five players, as follows:

i) The Canadian Womens Champion, as of 180 days before the start of the Olympiad.

ii) The three highest rated female players on the Selection Rating list.

iii) One player decided upon by the Selection Committee.

d) Notification: Players shall be notified of their selection by the CFC Executive no later than 150 days before the start of the Olympiad.

e) Acceptance: Players shall notify the CFC Executive of their intention to play by no later than 120 days before the start of the Olympiad.

f) Replacements: If a player either declines the invitation or withdraws after indicating his or her intention to participate as a member of the National or Women's team {911}, a replacement player shall be notified as soon as practicable and shall have one week after being notified to inform the CFC of his or her intention to play. [Motion 2011M Bluvshtein/Zeromskis]

907. Selection Ratings

Selection of players for the Teams by rating shall be based on the average of the player’s highest CFC rating and highest FIDE rating during the year prior to the start of the selection process (which begins 180 days before the start of the Olympiad).

a) Established CFC and FIDE ratings shall be used to determine team selection.

b) The CFC shall publish, with each rating update, a list of the top 10 Selection Ratings and the top 10 Selection Ratings of female players.

I am in support of most if not all of Victor's motions, but have a few procedual concerns. Please see whether the President and the Secretary could clarify on the following concerns. I do not wish the see the motions get passed but are not able to implement due to procedural errors.

1) Minimum games played (10 games, not 20 games)

Handbook section 906.a.iii) Have played at least 10 regular CFC rated or FIDE rated games during the year prior to the start of the selection process (which begins 180 days before the start of the Olympiad).

Other than the minimum games rule, there are also the residency rule and membership rule stated in section 906.

It is ambiguous to which section(s) of the Handbook are being affect/replace by Victor's motions. It would be best if the motion(s) could state this clearly.

2) Status of Selection Committee

From what I gathered from Victor's comments, his motions are intended to eliminate the Selection Committee, but this is not being explicitly stated in his motions. Victor's motion 5B1 "Motion #1. Selection of payers." corresponds to the Handbook section "906. Selection of the players". Even if Victor's motions are passed, I do not see that it will affect the Handbook section "905. The Selection Committee". Thus, I would expect there will still be a Selection Committee executing Victor's proposed selection rules. Victor, is this your intent?
    Last edited by Michael Lo; 11-29-2016 at 03:34 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast