Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5B1 - NEW MOTIONS - Olympic Team Selection (Moved Victor Plotkin, Seconded Fred McKim

Default 5B1 - NEW MOTIONS - Olympic Team Selection (Moved Victor Plotkin, Seconded Fred McKim

Motion #1. Selection of payers.

a. The National Team shall consist of 5 players, as follows:

1). The winner of the last Canadian Closed that took place 5-36 months prior to the Olympiad and that has not been used as a qualification for a previous Olympiad.
    2). The 4 highest ranked players as determined by formula.
    3). If no tournament described in a1 took place, then the 5 highest ranked players as determined by formula.

b. The Women Team shall consist of 5 players, as follows:

1). The winner of the last Canadian Women that took place 5-36 months prior to the Olympiad and that has not been used as a qualification for a previous Olympiad.
    2). The 4 highest ranked female players as determined by formula.
    3). If no tournament described in b1 took place, then the 5 highest ranked female players as determined by formula.

c. If a player declines their invitation, a replacement player will be selected according to formula.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Motion #1. Selection of payers.

a. The National Team shall consist of 5 players, as follows:

1). The winner of the last Canadian Closed that took place 5-36 months prior to the Olympiad and that has not been used as a qualification for a previous Olympiad.
    2). The 4 highest ranked players as determined by formula.
    3). If no tournament described in a1 took place, then the 5 highest ranked players as determined by formula.

b. The Women Team shall consist of 5 players, as follows:

1). The winner of the last Canadian Women that took place 5-36 months prior to the Olympiad and that has not been used as a qualification for a previous Olympiad.
    2). The 4 highest ranked female players as determined by formula.
    3). If no tournament described in b1 took place, then the 5 highest ranked female players as determined by formula.

c. If a player declines their invitation, a replacement player will be selected according to formula.
    for (b): The Women's Team ...
    1. The winner of the last Canadian Women's Closed ...

Chris Field.
    Last edited by Christopher Field; 11-24-2016 at 11:23 PM.

If this motion and no other is passed, no formula is included in the motion.

If this motion and no other is passed we continue using the current formula: (top FIDE + top CFC) / 2.

I agree with you, Ken. The wording could be better. It's very difficult to prepare to all 64 (2 in power of 6) possible results of the voting.

It should have been one motion. To which people could have made amendments.

Wasn't there a requirement for selected players to play a minimum number of games in a specified time prior to selection? I can remember a discussion where I suggested that players who are selected should play a minimum number games in Canada.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    Wasn't there a requirement for selected players to play a minimum number of games in a specified time prior to selection? I can remember a discussion where I suggested that players who are selected should play a minimum number games in Canada.
    I don’t think that this proposal negates that one (minimum games, FIDE, CFC or FQE) which passed as I recall. Minimum games in Canada never made it into a motion and I believe that it would be the death knell to achieving strong results like the one we had last Olympiad.

OK. I missed that these motions did not cover the entire criteria for selection.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Could someone help to post the rest of the criteria for selection? I would guess they are in the CFC handbook, but the CFC site is down.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast