Thread: Motion's proposal

Default Motion's proposal

I want to propose some motions for the selection process for Olympiad. I hope these motions will be discussed and voted during next on-line meeting.

1. Selection of the players.

a. The National Team shall consist of 5 players, as follows:

1). The winner of the last Canadian Closed that took place 5-36 months prior to the Olympiad and that has not been used as a qualification for a previous Olympiad.
    2). The 4 highest ranked players as determined by formula.
    3). If no tournament described in a1 took place, then the 5 highest ranked players as determined by formula.

b. The Women Team shall consist of 5 players, as follows:

1). The winner of the last Canadian Women that took place 5-36 months prior to the Olympiad and that has not been used as a qualification for a previous Olympiad.
    2). The 4 highest ranked female players as determined by formula.
    3). If no tournament described in b1 took place, then the 5 highest ranked female players as determined by formula.

c. If a player declines their invitation, a replacement player will be selected according to formula.

2. The formula for ranking players for the Olympiad.

a. The composition of the Teams shall be determined by formula, calculated 5 months before the start of Olympiad.

b. The formula takes the last published FIDE rating as a base (R) for the National Team. The formula takes the average of the last published FIDE rating and last published CFC rating as the base for the Women Team.

c. The formula adds/subtracts some bonuses/penalties (B) to (from) the base. Any number in the formula is rounded to the nearest 1. 0.5 is rounded to 1. If 2 or more players have the same total number (T), then younger age will be used as the tie breaker.

T= R + B1 + B2 + ... +B(N)

3. Bonuses/penalties for performance in the last Canadian Closed or last Canadian Women, respectively, that took place 5-36 months prior to the Olympiad and that has not been used as qualification for a previous Olympiad:

+20 points for 2nd place
    +10 points for 3rd place
    -10 points if the player did not participate or withdrew.

4. Bonus for young players: 5 points for every full year of age under 23.

5. Bonus/penalties for performance in the last Olympiad:

(Points won subtracted by the expected number of points according to rating) multiplied by 10. 0 points if the player did not participate.
    Last edited by Victor Plotkin; 10-15-2016 at 08:33 PM.

Just 5 motions.

Blog Entries

Victor. There is a small point or two.

If Motion #2 were defeated for some reason 3,4 & 5 don't make sense. I think you need to reword these three adding some redundancy (2 c) to indicate they would be used to adjust the "base" rating. Only 5 could lead to a fraction.

#2 could be split to a) change the Mens rating to be strictly FIDE .... b) use last published rating instead of maximum rating achieved in a one year period as used now

#1. Why could you not say the winner of most recent Canadian Closed as of 5 months prior to this Olympiad but held no earlier than 5 months prior to the previous Olympiad.

Thank you Fred. So for motions 3,4 and 5 I will add the first sentence: This bonus/penalty will be add/subtract to any base rating number (last rating, average rating or highest rating). The final qualification will be made according to the total number after adjustments.

It's possible to split #2, so we will have 6 motions. I would prefer not to split it.

#1. I don't know which wording is better. I believe, the initial one is also OK. "Previous Olympiad" looks somewhat complicated.

Fred, after some consideration, I accept your point and will split motion 2. Eliminating CFC rating for the National Team is very important. This split, likely, increases the probability of this motion to pass.

Blog Entries

Exactly my point. The more things you put in any one motion increases the likelihood the motion will fail.
    Last edited by Fred McKim; 10-17-2016 at 08:55 AM.

So I propose 6 motions.

Motion #1. Selection of payers.

a. The National Team shall consist of 5 players, as follows:

1). The winner of the last Canadian Closed that took place 5-36 months prior to the Olympiad and that has not been used as a qualification for a previous Olympiad.
    2). The 4 highest ranked players as determined by formula.
    3). If no tournament described in a1 took place, then the 5 highest ranked players as determined by formula.

1). The winner of the last Canadian Women that took place 5-36 months prior to the Olympiad and that has not been used as a qualification for a previous Olympiad.
    3). If no tournament described in b1 took place, then the 5 highest ranked female players as determined by formula.

c. If a player declines their invitation, a replacement player will be selected according to formula.

Motion #2. Formula for ranking payers.

a. The composition of the Teams shall be determined by formula, calculated 5 months before the start of Olympiad.

b. The formula takes the last published rating as a base for the Teams.

Motion #3. Rating for the Olympiad.

The formula uses FIDE rating only as a base for the National Team. The formula uses the average CFC-FIDE rating as a base for the Women Team. Any number is rounded to the nearest 1. 0.5 is rounded to 1. If 2 or more players have the same total number then the younger age will be used as the tie-breaker.

Motion #4. Bonuses/penalties for the last Canadian Closed and Canadian Women.

Bonuses/penalties for performance in the last Canadian Closed or last Canadian Women, respectively, that took place 5-36 months prior to the Olympiad and that has not been used as qualification for a previous Olympiad:

+20 points for 2nd place
    +10 points for 3rd place
    -10 points if the player did not participate or withdrew.

This bonus/penalty will be added/subtracted to any base rating number (last rating, average rating or highest rating).

Motion #5. Bonuses for young players.

5 points for every full year of age under 23. This bonus will be added to any base rating number ((last rating, average rating or highest rating).

Motion #6. Bonus/penalties for performance in the last Olympiad:

(Points won subtracted by the expected number of points according to rating) multiplied by 10. 0 points if the player did not participate.

This bonus/penalty will be added/subtracted to any base rating number (last rating, average rating or highest rating). The number is rounded to the nearest 1. 0.5 is rounded to 1.
    Last edited by Victor Plotkin; 10-20-2016 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post

I will concentrate my attention in the portion that is of the greater interest to the Women's Coordinator.

Have you noticed the small turnout at the last Canadian Women Zonal? 7 participants https://ratings.fide.com/tournament_...event16=142325 .

This gives rise to a question, if the first two or the first three of the Zonal were on the team, would this promote greater participation? Would this make our team weaker? It could, if for any reason, the best players were not able to attend the Zonal for a valid reason. We could also give a spot on the team to the 2nd or 3rd finisher conditional on rating.
    Last edited by Pierre Dénommée; 10-26-2016 at 10:18 PM.

With it being 6 motions, there are still some weird possibilities that arise. I still prefer one motion in which elements can be edited in or edited out.