Thread: Electronic Chess set

Default Electronic Chess set

Hello,

I just got a new job recently so will be going on a long trip abroad to a remote island for some conservation work. It is interesting work but the evenings are going to be long. There is no constant internet connection, no TV, no radio. The island is beautiful though, so that is something.

Anyway, that means I’m going to have to make my own entertainment. I’m gonna take a bunch of books (remember those!) and movies on my laptop. But most importantly I’m going to take a chess set. Now I have no idea whether any of my new-found colleagues are any good at chess or not, so I figured I’d take an electronic chess set with me. They seem to have fallen out of fashion what with the advent of internet chess and chess apps, but an electronic set would be perfect for my situation.

I found a reasonably cheap chess set online - the Novag Star Aquamarine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Novag Star Aquamarine.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	319

Has anyone played with this set before? How strong is it? I’m a reasonably strong player – got to over 1700 on ELO. Can anyone suggest any good alternatives? It should be fairly robust as I’m going to be camping for a while.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Blair Connell; 09-25-2016 at 11:14 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blair Connell View Post
    Hello,

I just got a new job recently so will be going on a long trip abroad to a remote island for some conservation work. It is interesting work but the evenings are going to be long. There is no constant internet connection, no TV, no radio. The island is beautiful though, so that is something.

Anyway, that means I’m going to have to make my own entertainment. I’m gonna take a bunch of books (remember those!) and movies on my laptop. But most importantly I’m going to take a chess set. Now I have no idea whether any of my new-found colleagues are any good at chess or not, so I figured I’d take an electronic chess set with me. They seem to have fallen out of fashion what with the advent of internet chess and chess apps, but an electronic set would be perfect for my situation.

I found a reasonably cheap chess set online - the Novag Star Aquamarine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Novag Star Aquamarine.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	319

Has anyone played with this set before? How strong is it? I’m a reasonably strong player – got to over 1700 on ELO. Can anyone suggest any good alternatives? It should be fairly robust as I’m going to be camping for a while.

Thanks in advance.
    I don't know much about actual electronic sets anymore, but I'd just load an a strong chess app (one that doesn't need an internet connection to run) on my phone. I installed Shredder 3 or 4 years ago for $6 or something, and still haven't got as much as draw if I have it playing full strength (probably 2600+). Take a regular set - in case you find a human or to analyze some games from the half dozen chess books you'll want to bring.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I don't know much about actual electronic sets anymore, but I'd just load an a strong chess app (one that doesn't need an internet connection to run) on my phone. I installed Shredder 3 or 4 years ago for $6 or something, and still haven't got as much as draw if I have it playing full strength (probably 2600+). Take a regular set - in case you find a human or to analyze some games from the half dozen chess books you'll want to bring.
    If your laptop runs Windows you should consider Arasan. It is a very strong, no frills chess program that is quite lightweight (no gigantic install etc).
    The website is www.arasanchess.org I often use it as a .pgn viewer/player too... I have been using it for years. Alternative to load on an Android device is the application 'chess for Android' by Aart Bik - a very nice program and also decent strength (the Android environment is a little easier to embellish with nice graphics etc - I highly recommend Aart Bik's program if you have an Android tablet (a phone will do as well).

If you're going camping better take magnetic chess (still might be heavy) and some good books. Those computers will require power or batteries. Probably not that easier to get in a remote area.

Get two chess sets for double chess or in case you loose some pieces to have spare ones
    .*-1