Thread: Queen of Katwe - go see it

Default Queen of Katwe - go see it

Queen of Katwe

Courtesy of Disney, several hundred lucky people were treated to a free advanced screening of the new Disney movie, Queen of Katwe, at the Cineplex Cinemas at Square 1 in Mississauga. The audience included 24 members from Mississauga Chess Club as well as members from neighbouring chess clubs.

The movie is inspired by the true life story of Phionah Mutesi, a young girl growing up in poverty in Uganda. She leads her country’s team to the Chess Olympiad and becomes National Chess Champion of Uganda. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, as well as everyone I have spoken too.

The CFC received an email yesterday from Beautiful World, a Toronto based charity that helps support girls living in extreme poverty in Uganda, Rwanda, and Sierra Leone to pursue a higher education.

"Phionah will be in Toronto in April 2017 as Beautiful World’s honoured guest and will be attending speaking engagements and playing some chess while she is here.”

Blog Entries

I'm looking forward to watching this, too. May have to wait for it to come to our Indie theatre, as it didn't start this weekend here at Cineplex (same as Pawn Sacrifice last year).