View Poll Results: With respect to selection of the Olympiad teams

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • I. Pick Olympiad team top 4 by rating plus winner of Canadian Closed.

    10 45.45%
  • II. Use Victor Plotkin's second system with calculations and bonuses for 2016 Olympiad performance

    10 45.45%
  • III. Keep the current system with selection committee

    0 0%
  • IV. None of the above

    2 9.09%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Straw Poll on Selection of Olympiad Team

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tecumseh, ON
    Posts
    2,067
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Straw Poll on Selection of Olympiad Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    I would like to propose 2 separate motions.

    I. Selection of the players.

    a. The National Team shall consist of 5 players, as follows:

    1). The winner of the last Canadian Closed that has not been used as a qualification for a previous Olympiad; and
    2). The 4 highest ranked players as determined by rating.
    3). If no tournament described in a1 took place, then the five highest ranked players as determined by rating.

    b. The Women Team shall consist of 5 players, as follows:

    1). The winner of the last Canadian Women Championship that has not been used as qualification for a previous Olympiad; and
    2). The 4 highest ranked female players as determined by rating.
    3). If no tournament described in b1 took place, then the 5 highest ranked female players as determined by rating.

    c. If a player declines their invitation, a replacement player will be selected according to rating.

    II. Selection Procedures.

    a. The composition of the Teams shall be determined by rating determined by this procedure 5 months before the start of Olympiad.

    b. Selection of players for the National Team and the Women Team, other than the Canadian Champion and Women Champion respectively, shall be determined by the addition of the following, rounding to the nearest 1. (0.5 will be rounded to 1).

    1). For the National Team, the player's last FIDE rating; for the Women Team, the average of the player's last FIDE rating and last CFC rating
    2). Bonuses/penalties for performance in the last Canadian Closed or last Canadian Women, respectively, that has not been used as qualification for a previous Olympiad:
    +20 points for 2nd place
    +10 points for 3rd place
    -10 points if the player did not participate or withdrew.
    3). Bonuses/penalties for performance in the last Olympiad determined by this formula:
    (Points won subtracted by the expected number of points according to rating) multiplied by 10.
    0 points if the player did not participate.
    4) Bonuses for young players: 5 points for every full year of age under 23.

    c. If two or more players have the same rating after the calculation, then younger age will be used as the tie breaker.
    The following straw poll is on the question of the Olympiad Selection Committee. The results will apply to 2018 and beyond.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-27-2016 at 04:41 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kanata, Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    The following straw poll is on the question of the Olympiad Selection Committee
    I don't get to access a poll question ...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tecumseh, ON
    Posts
    2,067
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I don't get to access a poll question ...
    Probably because I was still creating the poll when you posted.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Two things: 1) We're asked to vote on whether we want to maintain the "current system with selection committee". I'm certain this is explained somewhere but can someone please post the current system here for a quick review ? 2) Victor, in the last sentence, when you post: "If two or more players have the same rating after the calculation, then younger age will be used as the tie breaker.", do you mean that the "younger" person would be chosen over the older, likely more experienced, player ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    617

    Default

    I chose option one in the straw poll but wanted to emphasize that I don't strongly object to Victor's suggestions. I just chose the most simple option.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Rating Auditor
    CFC Governor

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Charlottetown, PE
    Posts
    1,928
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    Vlad. There is a problem with the Straw vote choices.

    Option I and II are mutually exclusive. So really you need the following choices

    1. Eliminate selection committee, but do not want rating modifications
    2. Eliminate selection committee, and would like at least one of the rating modifications.
    3. Retain selection committee player but like at least one of the rating modifications
    4. Don't like either motion
    5. Change but something else (comment in this thread).

    At the time of my writing this the vote is 3 for elimination of selection committee and 3 for Victor's "second" proposal. I assume these 3 all want the elimination of the selection committee - but I think you need to fix this. When the vote is done some analysis will be required. You probably should have just had two separate polls.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tecumseh, ON
    Posts
    2,067
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Vlad. There is a problem with the Straw vote choices.

    Option I and II are mutually exclusive. So really you need the following choices

    1. Eliminate selection committee, but do not want rating modifications
    2. Eliminate selection committee, and would like at least one of the rating modifications.
    3. Retain selection committee player but like at least one of the rating modifications
    4. Don't like either motion
    5. Change but something else (comment in this thread).

    At the time of my writing this the vote is 3 for elimination of selection committee and 3 for Victor's "second" proposal. I assume these 3 all want the elimination of the selection committee - but I think you need to fix this. When the vote is done some analysis will be required. You probably should have just had two separate polls.
    I think if we split it too finely then the two options with modified ratings split the vote. I think we see which one everyone likes and then next meeting we either refine II or simply ratify I if either of those wins.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    141

    Default

    2 motions = 4 possible choices.

    1. I like motion I (Selection of the players). I like motion II (Selection Procedures).
    2. I like motion I. I do not like motion II.
    3. I like motion II. I do not like motion I.
    4. I do not like motion I. I do not like motion II.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    74

    Default

    What option should I pick if:

    a) I like motion I.
    b) I like the idea of motion II but want refinement.
    c) I want to keep the selection committee for 2 reasons:
    - to have more than one person to verify the final selection (even if it is the result of an objective system)
    - the selection committee should have the authority to make exceptions (possibly with the approval of the President). If there is a system, people will figure out ways to break it, I want to see some safeguard.

    I am seriously asking for what option should I pick. Is it option 4?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tecumseh, ON
    Posts
    2,067
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    What option should I pick if:

    a) I like motion I.
    b) I like the idea of motion II but want refinement.
    c) I want to keep the selection committee for 2 reasons:
    - to have more than one person to verify the final selection (even if it is the result of an objective system)
    - the selection committee should have the authority to make exceptions (possibly with the approval of the President). If there is a system, people will figure out ways to break it, I want to see some safeguard.

    I am seriously asking for what option should I pick. Is it option 4?
    You should probably vote to keep the selection committee in that case and propose an amendment for next meeting on how the selection committee works. The three options are somewhat mutually exclusive. If motion II wins then next meeting we will work on refining it. If motion I wins it seems self explanatory and will simply be adopted. There may still need to be a housecleaning motion in the case I wins. If option III wins someone will have to take the lead on proposing any changes. It might be more difficult to get people to serve on the selection committee if their decision is easily reversible by the president.

    The president and directors could always overturn a decision of the selection committee BUT doing so would set a very dangerous precedent and could lead to costly litigation. I would certainly need to explain why the reversal decision was made and ask the voting members to ratify the decision if possible.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-28-2016 at 09:19 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •