Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10.3 CFC email magazine discussion

Blog Entries

Default 10.3 CFC email magazine discussion

This is for discussion about the CFC news email magazine.

I am very impressed with the amount of work John puts into the magazine. Keep up the good work John.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
    I am very impressed with the amount of work John puts into the magazine. Keep up the good work John.
    I am also very impressed with the quality of the product that John presents us with. I would like to see some double issues or splitting issues into more manageable sizes to catch up on the backlog and also perhaps more timely coverage of major events. We might also look at whether we should look at alternate ways of presenting the same great content. Increasingly facebook is a way that we disseminate news and photos. John has been a big part of that effort along with Victoria Doknjas.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-21-2016 at 11:55 AM.

I've always been a huge fan of The Week in Chess format and would greatly prefer something that like to Facebook which is more ephemeral

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I am also very impressed with the quality of the product that John presents us with. I would like to see some double issues or splitting issues into more manageable sizes to catch up on the backlog and also perhaps more timely coverage of major events. We might also look at whether we should look at alternate ways of presenting the same great content. Increasingly facebook is a way that we disseminate news and photos. John has been a big part of that effort along with Victoria Doknjas.
    I agree with the basic idea of doing an easier or smaller magazine until the issues are caught up.

Blog Entries

John's work is great, but we need to work out an agreement with him that we can have more timely information being sent to our members.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    I've always been a huge fan of The Week in Chess format and would greatly prefer something that like to Facebook which is more ephemeral
    I agree deeply with Lyle on this one. Some people loathe Facebook LOL

I also agree perhaps with smaller issues on quicker turnaround times.

As an example you might check out the BC bulletin which has been going for 12+ years and is at 300+ issues http://chess.bc.ca/bcbulletin.shtml

To be sure much of the time it's been a personal labor of love for Stephen Wright (and anyone who knows the bulletin knows Wright's interest in chess history) but that many years is not to be sneezed at.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I agree deeply with Lyle on this one. Some people loathe Facebook LOL
    Facebook is one way to reach lots of people quickly and it does make it easy to upload pictures. It can be a big time waster too. We do have to find new ways to reach more people. If Larry Bevand follows through on on his intention to sell chesstalk it will likely no longer be the way to disseminate chess information in Canada.

Personally, I feel that the current issues should not be more than 3 months late otherwise, players/readers will have lost the interest to read much of it. As in any magazines in the stand, do we buy outdated magazines ?

I agree that the contents are very good but somehow it loses it's value if it is one year late.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast