Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10.2 Olympiad Selection Rules

Blog Entries

Default 10.2 Olympiad Selection Rules

This thread is for discussion of proposed modifications to the Olympiad Selection Rules as proposed by masters representative Victor Plotkin.

I would like to propose 2 separate motions.

I. Selection of the players.

a. The National Team shall consist of 5 players, as follows:

1). The winner of the last Canadian Closed that has not been used as a qualification for a previous Olympiad; and
    2). The 4 highest ranked players as determined by rating.
    3). If no tournament described in a1 took place, then the five highest ranked players as determined by rating.

b. The Women Team shall consist of 5 players, as follows:

1). The winner of the last Canadian Women Championship that has not been used as qualification for a previous Olympiad; and
    2). The 4 highest ranked female players as determined by rating.
    3). If no tournament described in b1 took place, then the 5 highest ranked female players as determined by rating.

c. If a player declines their invitation, a replacement player will be selected according to rating.

II. Selection Procedures.

a. The composition of the Teams shall be determined by rating determined by this procedure 5 months before the start of Olympiad.

b. Selection of players for the National Team and the Women Team, other than the Canadian Champion and Women Champion respectively, shall be determined by the addition of the following, rounding to the nearest 1. (0.5 will be rounded to 1).

1). For the National Team, the player's last FIDE rating; for the Women Team, the average of the player's last FIDE rating and last CFC rating
    2). Bonuses/penalties for performance in the last Canadian Closed or last Canadian Women, respectively, that has not been used as qualification for a previous Olympiad:
    +20 points for 2nd place
    +10 points for 3rd place
    -10 points if the player did not participate or withdrew.
    3). Bonuses/penalties for performance in the last Olympiad determined by this formula:
    (Points won subtracted by the expected number of points according to rating) multiplied by 10.
    0 points if the player did not participate.
    4) Bonuses for young players: 5 points for every full year of age under 23.

c. If two or more players have the same rating after the calculation, then younger age will be used as the tie breaker.
    Last edited by Victor Plotkin; 08-21-2016 at 01:20 PM.

I would be in support of eliminating subjective criteria such as a selection committee

Blog Entries

I think we have to determine how close the Canadian Closed would be to the Olympiad - 5 months like the selection rating ?
    Last edited by Fred McKim; 08-22-2016 at 11:23 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I think we have to determine how close the Canadian Closed would be to the Olympiad - 5 moths like the selection rating ?
    I think, Canadian Closed should take place every year.
    In this case at any decision point (be it 5 or 6 months before Olympiad) there always will be relatively recent Canadian Closed...
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    In this case at any decision point (be it 5 or 6 months before Olympiad) there always will be relatively recent Canadian Closed...
    The wording has to reflect that the Canadian Closed is held at various time of the year and not every year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    It should take place every year but there are a limited number of people who are capable of organizing a Canadian Closed and convincing them to do so is not always easy or necessarily financially feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    I would like to propose 2 separate motions.

I. Selection of the players.

a. The National Team shall consist of 5 players, as follows:

1). The winner of the last Canadian Closed that has not been used as a qualification for a previous Olympiad; and
    2). The 4 highest ranked players as determined by rating.
    3). If no tournament described in a1 took place, then the five highest ranked players as determined by rating.

b. The Women Team shall consist of 5 players, as follows:

1). The winner of the last Canadian Women Championship that has not been used as qualification for a previous Olympiad; and
    2). The 4 highest ranked female players as determined by rating.
    3). If no tournament described in b1 took place, then the 5 highest ranked female players as determined by rating.

c. If a player declines their invitation, a replacement player will be selected according to rating.

II. Selection Procedures.

a. The composition of the Teams shall be determined by rating determined by this procedure 5 months before the start of Olympiad.

b. Selection of players for the National Team and the Women Team, other than the Canadian Champion and Women Champion respectively, shall be determined by the addition of the following, rounding to the nearest 1. (0.5 will be rounded to 1).

1). For the National Team, the player's last FIDE rating; for the Women Team, the average of the player's last FIDE rating and last CFC rating
    2). Bonuses/penalties for performance in the last Canadian Closed or last Canadian Women, respectively, that has not been used as qualification for a previous Olympiad:
    +20 points for 2nd place
    +10 points for 3rd place
    -10 points if the player did not participate or withdrew.
    3). Bonuses/penalties for performance in the last Olympiad determined by this formula:
    (Points won subtracted by the expected number of points according to rating) multiplied by 10.
    0 points if the player did not participate.
    4) Bonuses for young players: 5 points for every full year of age under 23.

c. If two or more players have the same rating after the calculation, then younger age will be used as the tie breaker.
    I like the first motion for sure; however, I don't like the idea of having an arbitrary rating period where the ratings suddenly become important, as that can cause some players to stop playing if they are on a cusp of making a team. I believe that a better system is: best achieved rating based on 3-6 rating periods or the average rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
    I like the first motion for sure; however, I don't like the idea of having an arbitrary rating period where the ratings suddenly become important, as that can cause some players to stop playing if they are on a cusp of making a team. I believe that a better system is: best achieved rating based on 3-6 rating periods or the average rating.
    I like Victor's "objectivizing" proposal, and I think there's some merit to Vlad's concerns above. Stepping back for a sec, do we need to FINALIZE the new method during this AGM, or can we just decide to let Victor and a team go off and study this more thoroughly? For example, they could work through historical data for the last few Olympiads, to get a better feeling of the impact of some the proposed formulas. Then Victor could bring back his final model at our next meeting, for final approval. Victor, what do you think?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I like Victor's "objectivizing" proposal, and I think there's some merit to Vlad's concerns above. Stepping back for a sec, do we need to FINALIZE the new method during this AGM, or can we just decide to let Victor and a team go off and study this more thoroughly? For example, they could work through historical data for the last few Olympiads, to get a better feeling of the impact of some the proposed formulas. Then Victor could bring back his final model at our next meeting, for final approval. Victor, what do you think?
    I think we vote on this at the next quarterly meeting, with the understanding that it will be in effect for the 2018 Olympic Teams.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast