Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 10.2 Olympiad Selection Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft View Post
    I would rather vote after the Olympiad is completed.
    Ditto. My opinion is that some people will get weird if we change things before this Olympiad is completed. That doesn't make sense, but some folk will act up publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Ditto. My opinion is that some people will get weird if we change things before this Olympiad is completed. That doesn't make sense, but some folk will act up publicly.
    Maybe. However, if we wait too long, some other people will get impression that CFC is absolutely unable to change anything. To be honest I care more about second group of people.

If we settled 2018 regulations at the next quarterly meeting we shouldn't get the 'unable to change anything' gripes.

To be sure - I'm concerned about people with real concerns not the sort that would complain if the Exec and VM assembly took the pieces out of the box to put them on the board!

My personal view on the selection of the rules - I fully support Victor's suggestions and I think if we can make a decision/vote the sooner the better. It doesn't need to wait until the Olympiad is over.

I have seen many chess federations being bogged down by politics and the selections has been undermined by these politics and thus not selecting the best players for the country. I think we should have as objective as possible for the selection instead of relying on individual opinion ( aka selection committee ). This way, it is fair to ALL players and all players will know what they need to do to represent the country. Representing the country should serve as an HONOUR and thus it is must be fair and transparent to all and must go through the stringent process.

I for one do not like to drag on matters and leave the matter to another time for decision unless there is a GOOD reason for it.

Whatever had happened before - let's not brood over it and MOVING forward is more important.

Let's wish the best for the current contingent at the Olympiad ( next week ) and hope they can bring the best results for Canada. What is done is done. There is no need to prove who is right and who is wrong.
    Let's also hope that ALL the VMs will vote in the best possible way for the Chess in Canada and I mean ALL VMs should vote.

As you know, one one my proposals is taking Olympiad performance into account. That's why makes more sense to vote before the tournament. Any rules should be known before the start of the campaign. In this case, 2018 campaign starts with 2016 Olympiad.

I'd like to know why the vote couldn't be done right now, BEFORE this meeting is over?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha Starr View Post
    I'd like to know why the vote couldn't be done right now, BEFORE this meeting is over?
    It will be. See the thread straw poll with respect to the Olympiad teams.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345