Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10.1 Youth Advisory Committee

I'm willing to accept a stipulation that committee members need also be registered CFC members, even if they do not play. A $45 membership fee is not an onerous amount to spend. However I should note that whether or not a committee member is also a member of the CFC has little relevance on fiduciary duty. For example allowing onto the committee a parent whose child stands to directly benefit from a policy change on say eligibility of a youth subsidy would be a breach regardless of whether that person has a CFC membership.

This is why the committee needs to be an advisory committee.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    It's advisory only. I think Vlad has some concerns with non-CFC members being on the Committee.
    That's not it exactly. I am fine with non-members being on the committee. I have concerns with the idea that members of the committee would make decisions with regard to personnel or finances which seem to be hinted at in some of Michael's posts here and on chesstalk.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    That's not it exactly. I am fine with non-members being on the committee. I have concerns with the idea that members of the committee would make decisions with regard to personnel or finances which seem to be hinted at in some of Michael's posts here and on chesstalk.
    The committee will hopefully have some good ideas. Perhaps they can come up with a guideline for the selection of coaches to International Youth events (that would still have to be approved by the Executive or the voting Members). However, it is clear to me that the actual Operations comes back to the Executive / Youth Co-ordinator.

It needs to be specifically mentioned that one of the key points that got the CFC's charitable status lifted was allowing contributions resulting in tax receipts for contributions designated to junior champions AFTER the qualifying events when the advancing representative was known. In Canada Revenue Agency's world that's OK if the donor and recipient were "not at arms' length" but not OK when the two were related. Obviously a designated donation BEFORE the qualifying tournament would have been OK.

I say again that while that was not the ONLY specified reason it was clear that that's the point on which we were most crucified by CRA.

As such any financial aid proposal made by an advisory committee should reasonably expect very careful scrutiny as all of us would like to regain charitable status and while in my opinion it's a very low chance now it would quickly go to "snowflake's chance in hell" if there were anything of this nature going forward.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    It needs to be specifically mentioned that one of the key points that got the CFC's charitable status lifted was allowing contributions resulting in tax receipts for contributions designated to junior champions AFTER the qualifying events when the advancing representative was known. In Canada Revenue Agency's world that's OK if the donor and recipient were "not at arms' length" but not OK when the two were related. Obviously a designated donation BEFORE the qualifying tournament would have been OK.

I say again that while that was not the ONLY specified reason it was clear that that's the point on which we were most crucified by CRA.

As such any financial aid proposal made by an advisory committee should reasonably expect very careful scrutiny as all of us would like to regain charitable status and while in my opinion it's a very low chance now it would quickly go to "snowflake's chance in hell" if there were anything of this nature going forward.
    We had received a wrist slapping over that incident, which was prior to my becoming Treasurer. The only reason specified by CRA for our status removal was because we did not meet the requirements, and should never been a charity in the first place. Our future lies as a recognized sport.

Let me clarify my point:
    The CFC Youth Committee should be advisory only.
    It could discuss all issues related to youth chess in Canada and prepare recommendations for Youth Coordinator.
    Decisions should be made by appropriate body - VM Assembly, CFC Executive or Youth Coordinator himself - taking into account Committee's recommendations.
    Of course, decision maker could reject Committee's recommendation, if it seems inappropriate.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

We first have to clarify on the objectives of forming a YAC. I got the impression that it is mainly for the purpose of hearing the voice/opinions from different point pf views, in particular, from chess parents, youth players and youth event organizers. Furthermore, to give advice on Youth policy to (mainly) assist the Youth Coordinator, and to provide a nation-wide network for the youth players.

If the main objective to hear the voice from the junior community, I would suggest a structure similar to the Parent Advisory Councils already established and works well in our school system. Following is possible structure of the Youth Advisory Council and Committee:

1) All chess parents, youth players over 16 years old and youth event organizers in Canada can join as a Youth Advisory Council member (whether they have to be a regular cfc member or we should create a special class of membership has to be determined).

2) A Committee to be elected by the Council members may consist of:
    - Chairman (Voting)
    - Two to Three Parents (Voting),
    - Two to Three Youth Event Organizers (Voting),
    - One Youth Player (Age between 16 to 20) (TBD),
    - CFC Youth Coordinator (ex officio, non-voting).

With the conditions/considerations:
    a) The CFC Youth Coordinator's duty in the committee is to provide information, answer questions, and explain CFC Youth Policies and attend to parental concerns.
    b) All committee members must NOT be at arms' length. That is, both parents of one player, Parent and son/daughter should not be allowed to serve in the committee at the same time.
    c) In most PACs, they allow one student member with no voting privilege. We have to decide on this.
    d) Regional Representatives may be needed to help communicate to with the local youth chess communities when YAC grows to a significant size.
    e) The Youth Committee only provides advisory and have no decision making power.
    f) If we are going to create a special membership class for the Youth Advisory Council, the membership fee should be dedicated for supporting Youth Activities. My preference is to have a special membership class for the Youth Advisory Council.

I am just throwing my thoughts out. Am I making it too complicated?

Thanks,
    Michael Lo

Blog Entries

Michael. Very well thought out. Youth Council and Youth Advisory Committee. Any youth member of the committee might have to be 18.

Fred, I am not sure of the legal age requirement for a CFC committee member, the Secretary may be able to give a definite answer. In BC, the Cooperate Act which also governs BC Societies (non-profit organization) requires 18+ (each province has their own age limit) to be a board member or Director, but there is no age limit to be an officer.

I think that is the reason why PACs allow Student Representatives to be in the Committee but they have no voting privilege. PACs may make decisions that are legal binding (e.g. provide fund to school projects) and minors are not legally bind on any decision or contract which complicates the situation if they are allow to vote.

In our case, the Youth Committee only provides advise and the Youth Council does not have their separate finance to manage (unless we want to set that up to manage the membership fee and sponsorship), the Committee's Youth Player Member may reasonable be allow to vote. After all, youth players are the ones that affect by Youth Policy, they should definitely have a say.

Blog Entries

I have a somewhat different view of the committee and its role. Typically it will be composed of coaches, parents and organizers with some of the people being all three at once. The role of the committee is to assist the youth coordinator and the executive and perhaps to provide a training ground for volunteers who might go on to roles with more responsibility within the CFC. Gary Hua who is a chess parent, organizer, coach is one person who I discussed this with at NAYCC. I guess he will have a somewhat different role with respect to the committee as the new youth coordinator. I look forward to working with him.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast